bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 9th Nov 2010, 18:14   #41
EvilMerc
Mod Master

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon View Post
The zombie survival guide - A load of boring dross.

World War Z - A novel about the zombie apocalypse written by the author of the Zombie survival guide. Unlike his previous work this is actually very good and is written as a collection of accounts told by survivors of the zombie invasion.
I agree that World War Z is better than The Zombie Survival Guide, but it is FAR from being a load of boring dross! I thought it was excellent, and World War Z was utterly excellent. (There's also a film in the works )
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 18:47   #42
KayinBlack
Toxophile

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
The Count of Monte Cristo. God bless Project Gutenberg.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2010, 20:21   #43
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sleepygamer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeira_Johnny View Post
Wait until you get to Thud
See, I preferred Night Watch. Hell, Night Watch is my favourite Discworld of the lot, and I think I've read them all at least twice, usually more. Even Eric, which I didn't like!
Senpai | CPU | Intel i5 2500K | RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Mobo | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | GPU | Asus STRIX 960 4GB | SSDs | Intel 730 Series 250GB, Corsair Force 3 120GB, OCZ Agility 120GB | HDD/Storage | 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 24"+20" LG Flatrons | Keyboard | Razer Blackwidow TE | Mouse | Roccat Tyon
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2010, 13:20   #44
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending Credits View Post
Currently rereading:
Chaos - James Gleick
Taming the Infinite - Ian Stewart

Currently reading:
Archimedes Revenge - Paul hoffman
The Greatest Show on Earth - Dawkins

Too much non-fiction, I blame applying to uni.

Three of them are really interesting but chaos is a big book and quite repetative although it is interesting too.

Im also Reading Chaos by James Gleick,

I have been dipping in and out, doing the odd 20 pages here and there on the bus to and from work. Its a bit hard going at times, but my brain seems to like it : )

Also reading Dawkins Unweaving the Rainbow, which is a little easier going!

Just finished The Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan which was a real eye opener!

HTPC Intel NUC (Celeron 847) - 30GB Samsung mSATA SSD - 2GB Crucial RAM 1333MHz - Windows 10
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2010, 16:36   #45
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
just bought

Stephen Kings "Full Dark No Stars"

and The Passage

Currently reading
Full Dark No Stars
Old 19th Feb 2011, 15:37   #46
ccunlif1
Minimodder

ccunlif1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dead or Alive.... Tom Clancy is back!
Loved the John CLARKE ones, without remorse etc and especially Rainbow 6... Shame none of the Film have really lived up to the books tho
ccunlif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2011, 18:48   #47
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Brave New World-Aldous Huxley

Very interesting book

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 15:45   #48
Repo
Supermodder

Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
http://www.jajance.com/jajance.com/Joanna_Brady.html

Currently on book 10, fairly standard detective type books with the occassional annoying cliche but reasonable for the genre. I tend to read all of an authors books in one go, so have already read all of her J P Beaumont (22 books) and Brandon Walker (3 books, couldn't get the 4th at the time) novels already.
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 15:48   #49
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 15:59   #50
b0ng0
Reddomitlum

b0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelb0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelb0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

The Demon Spear (Demon Trilogy Pt. 2)
Although it's not actually a trilogy!
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 4.00GHz MoBo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3 Intel P67 Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz GPU: 3GB MSI TwinFrozr GTX 980 HDD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB, 1TB Spinpoint T3 PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Monitor: 22" Viewsonic OS: Windows 7 64 Home Premium
b0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 16:00   #51
b0ng0
Reddomitlum

b0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelb0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelb0ng0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
I absolutely love this book. Surpassed only (imho) by Broken Angels. His recent book Black Man was a bit weak. Market Forces is also quite a nice break from the Kovachs universe.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 4.00GHz MoBo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3 Intel P67 Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz GPU: 3GB MSI TwinFrozr GTX 980 HDD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB, 1TB Spinpoint T3 PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Monitor: 22" Viewsonic OS: Windows 7 64 Home Premium
b0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 18:06   #52
Byron C
This space for rent.

Byron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng0 View Post
I absolutely love this book. Surpassed only (imho) by Broken Angels. His recent book Black Man was a bit weak. Market Forces is also quite a nice break from the Kovachs universe.
I found Broken Angels to be the weakest one of the series, tbh. It felt too slow and ponderous. Woken Furies is by far my favourite book of the series.

As for me, I'm currently reading Dune (Frank Herbert). First time I bothered to get round to reading this book... After that, it's on to The God Delusion, then The Greatest Show on Earth (both by Richard Dawkins)

Saturn: Gen8 Microserver, G1610T, 4GB RAM, 5TB Disk | Titan: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, 160GB USB HDD | Rhea: XW4600 Workstation, Xeon X3323, 4GB RAM, 292GB 15K SAS Array | Earth: RVZ01, i5-4670K, GA-Z97N-WIFI, 8GB RAM, 4GB GTX970 | Mars: Dell Inspirion 15-7559, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 4GB GDDR5 GTX960M
Byron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 07:06   #53
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Neil Gaiman - Fragile Things
Michael Peinkofer - Am Ufer des Styx

After coming out of a rather long spree of Pratchett (8 books in a row or something), I figured I needed a complete change.
So I started reading the German book, and once I realised it's not my cup of tea and a mate lent me his Fragile Things, I started reading that. So now I read both simultaneously.
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 10:02   #54
TSDAdam
Beard!

TSDAdam has yet to learn the way of the DremelTSDAdam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I recently read Sacrifice by S.J. Bolton, and since then have read everything else she's done. Not an author I'd usually pick, but I'm glad I got introduced.

At the moment I'm about 50 pages from the end of The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I was expecting "Assassin's Creed: The Book" but it's awesome and far deeper. I'll be catching up with the rest of the trilogy after.
TSDAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 11:04   #55
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
I found Broken Angels to be the weakest one of the series, tbh. It felt too slow and ponderous. Woken Furies is by far my favourite book of the series.
I have just read the Kovachs trilogy and Altered Carbon was the best of the series for me. I finished Market Forces last night and I was generally just 'meh' about the whole thing.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 11:34   #56
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.Silver51 is definitely a rep cheat.
All Tomorrow's Parties - William Gibson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Tom...es_%28novel%29
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 11:38   #57
Canon
Reformed

Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Canon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The Fry Chronicles, as expected an awesome read, I'm not usually a big taker for biographies but I've read all the previous from Fry and have always been a big fan of his work, wether it be his literary wizardry or his sitcom glory days.

Old 22nd Feb 2011, 11:48   #58
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just about to start this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandville-M.../dp/0224090003

And once I'm done with that, this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heroes-Joe-A...8371258&sr=1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
All Tomorrow's Parties - William Gibson
Good book. Take it you've read the other two "Bridge" books (Virtual Light & Idoru)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeira_Johnny
just finished re-reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.
Another good book - I must get round to reading the other two Blue Ant Books (Spook County & Zero History).

I remember finishing Pattern Recognition and thinking that I'd quite like a Curta. I changed my mind when I saw the prices they fetch.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 15:17   #59
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Man In The High Castle-Philip K. Dick

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 01:30   #60
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
The Count of Monte Cristo. God bless Project Gutenberg.
Oooh, Im going to get that one. Thanks!

Currently reading The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Second time through, read it first time about 6 years ago. Amazing what pops out at you second time round too... Going to try and read it through at least every few years now.

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode