bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 5th Apr 2011, 12:53   #121
sicone
Multimodder

sicone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSDAdam View Post
At the moment I'm about 50 pages from the end of The Way Of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I was expecting "Assassin's Creed: The Book" but it's awesome and far deeper. I'll be catching up with the rest of the trilogy after.
Really enjoyed this trilogy, but be warned it gets a little silly near the end of book 3 (totally imo but still a good book).

Currently reading Lord of Chaos - book 6 of The Wheel of Time series
sicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 14:47   #122
asteldian
Supermodder

asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicone View Post
Really enjoyed this trilogy, but be warned it gets a little silly near the end of book 3 (totally imo but still a good book).

Currently reading Lord of Chaos - book 6 of The Wheel of Time series
Night Angel Trilogy was amazing.
Word of warning: Stop the Wheel of Time while you can! Book 6 onwards just gets worse and worse. Great first few books, disappointing from then on - clearly he was getting paid by the word which is why it felt like he was repeating himself and making use of Control V function.
Apologies for the negativity, but given how AMAZING the first half of the series was, the second half is heartbreakingly disappointing.

On a more positive note, a book series I found oddly enjoyable (it is really aimed for kids the same way Potter is) was the Rangers Apprentice - the wife had bought it for like a penny from Amazon and so when I had no books to read I read it...then read the 4 after it.

Last edited by asteldian; 5th Apr 2011 at 15:06.
asteldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 15:28   #123
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Finished the '1000 year plan' by Asimov. moving on. Young people might know it as Foundation.

john
Old 5th Apr 2011, 17:46   #124
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteldian View Post
Word of warning: Stop the Wheel of Time while you can! Book 6 onwards just gets worse and worse. Great first few books, disappointing from then on - clearly he was getting paid by the word which is why it felt like he was repeating himself and making use of Control V function.
Apologies for the negativity, but given how AMAZING the first half of the series was, the second half is heartbreakingly disappointing.
Aha - someone else with the same feelings toward WoT. Great beginning, should have (and could have) been wrapped up in 5 books. There's only so much braid tugging a reader can take...

I struggled on past A Crown of Swords, and bought the Path of Daggers. I got about 10 pages in before I closed it and never picked up again. About a year later I gave them all away.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 18:25   #125
saemilin
Modder

saemilin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I read the rats when I was young! killed a prostitute and a business man right? rats... indiscriminate killers!!! good book!
saemilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 18:27   #126
saemilin
Modder

saemilin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anybody read any haruki murakami books?

Lately, I read Kafka on the Shore and I really don't think anybody can say they understand it... I didn't...

Norwegian Wood is a really good book by him though. Not as nebulous and metaphorical as all his other stuff.
saemilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 00:55   #128
Trance
Two steps forward, one step back

Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.
The War of the Flowers - Tad Williams, one of my favorite books ever
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 :: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz :: Cooler Master Nepton 280L :: 16gb Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz :: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK :: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB :: Inno3D GTX770 2GB IChill HerculeZ X3 :: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 01:53   #129
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ryle is an assh0le.
Old 8th Apr 2011, 02:04   #130
<A88>
Trust the Computer

<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis
I've finally just managed to finish Tony Blair's book, will probably write up a review of it over the next few days.

Will probably get round to giving Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw's "Why Does E=mc2?" next since I've grown a bit useless with physics and pop-science books are always full of great facts to show off to people with. That said, I also need to give JS Mills' "On Liberty" the once-over to keep my lecturer happy to, so I guess that should come first.
<A88> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 09:44   #131
asteldian
Supermodder

asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.asteldian is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance View Post
The War of the Flowers - Tad Williams, one of my favorite books ever
Really? I have not read that one...is it anything like his Memory Thorn whatever series? Because afte that I figured I would never read his books again.
The premise of the War of Flowers sounds interestng though. The idea of him going to another world reminds me of Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdon For Sale...Sold! Which is a good series
asteldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 10:57   #132
Trance
Two steps forward, one step back

Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.Trance is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteldian View Post
Really? I have not read that one...is it anything like his Memory Thorn whatever series? Because afte that I figured I would never read his books again.
The premise of the War of Flowers sounds interestng though. The idea of him going to another world reminds me of Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdon For Sale...Sold! Which is a good series
It's pretty different to his other books, not so hardcore and a lot easier to read, about a regular guy with regular problems being sucked into a fantasy world that is kinda modern and the characters are more believable. It's the only one of his books that I've ever re-read as well.
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 :: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6GHz :: Cooler Master Nepton 280L :: 16gb Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz :: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK :: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB :: Inno3D GTX770 2GB IChill HerculeZ X3 :: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W
Trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 11:09   #133
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
Finished the '1000 year plan' by Asimov. moving on. Young people might know it as Foundation.

john
I've read all of Asimov's books and short stories. I love the Foundation series - thought provoking as well as entertaining. I recommend that everybody should read at least one Asimov story in their lifetime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Aha - someone else with the same feelings toward WoT. Great beginning, should have (and could have) been wrapped up in 5 books. There's only so much braid tugging a reader can take...

I struggled on past A Crown of Swords, and bought the Path of Daggers. I got about 10 pages in before I closed it and never picked up again. About a year later I gave them all away.
I have an elderly relative who's struggled through all of the books, including the last couple by Brandon Sanderson. Her main fear is that she won't live long enough to read the last one, which isn't due out until some time next year apparently. If she were a Catholic, I'd say she'd done penance enough to guarantee her place in heaven

Not only could the story have been completed in half the books, each book could also have been half the size. I never got past the third instalment before I got bored.
Old 8th Apr 2011, 11:16   #134
slaw
At Argos buying "gold"

slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.slaw is definitely a rep cheat.
I started on Rant by Chuck Palahniuk this week.

Its so dark, i cant put it down!!!
GTX 480
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2011, 12:10   #135
Chris_Waddle
Trying hard not to upgrade again

Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.Chris_Waddle is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Not feeling the love for it so far.
I know I'm quoting an old post but having just finished it, this is exactly how I felt.

I was told by a few friends that this is an excellent trilogy and a must read. I bought all 3 and wished I hadn't. I didn't feel any empathy with the characters, it took forever for something to happen, but then again nothing much did happen. I am so not looking forward to the next two and will save them for a holiday. In fact, I will probably have to read every other book I own (something like 200+ books) again in order to force me to read them.

Still, reading all my other books first is a great excuse to re-read my complete Terry Pratchett's / Stephen King / Douglas Adams collections.
Chris_Waddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2011, 03:22   #136
mikey_1989
What's a Dremel?

mikey_1989 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am currently reading: "The Nature of Space and Time" by Stephen Hawking. It is quite
mikey_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2011, 12:59   #137
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Wasp Factory-Iain M. Banks

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2011, 14:45   #138
gilljoy
I *am* a Dremel

gilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for president
Wheel of time book 7 currently. Series really seems to be dragging on ALOT
Old 9th Apr 2011, 23:50   #139
Viskey404
Minimodder

Viskey404 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just started reading the Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh and i think they are brilliant, i can't put them down!
Viskey404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2011, 23:59   #140
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilljoy View Post
Wheel of time book 7 currently. Series really seems to be dragging on ALOT
Of course its draggin on, its Wheel Of Time

Still awesome though and you'll be very happy to hear that after the sad death of Robert Jordan his son and wife will continue the work so that his original vision is completed
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode