bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 10th Apr 2011, 00:13   #141
gilljoy
I *am* a Dremel

gilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
Of course its draggin on, its Wheel Of Time

Still awesome though and you'll be very happy to hear that after the sad death of Robert Jordan his son and wife will continue the work so that his original vision is completed
Just realised I posted that I was reading this twice lol. Gona take a break and read the shadows of the apt book 6 I think.
Old 10th Apr 2011, 05:42   #142
Elton
Officially a Whisky Nerd

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Re-reading 1984.

Orwell is a good writer, however fortune teller he is not.
Old 10th Apr 2011, 05:57   #143
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
Re-reading 1984.

Orwell is a good writer, however fortune teller he is not.
Didn't happen in 1984, but the man's not too far off the mark.
Old 10th Apr 2011, 09:05   #144
DieselPower
Minimodder

DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.DieselPower is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm reading through Redemption Corps by Rob Sanders.
I do love the Warhammer 40K novels, very easy to lose yourself reading them.
DieselPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2011, 14:58   #145
Lovah
Apple and Canon fanboy

Lovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for president
Paris revelad, Stephen Clarke.
read a few of his books a few years ago and they weren't too bad.. perfect for reading in the sun, half-wasted.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz | iMac 27" i7 | iPad 2 16GB WIFI
Lovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2011, 17:18   #146
boiled_elephant
Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

boiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Ryle is an assh0le.
I lol'd. And yeah, he did start a bit of an avalanche all over our preconceptions, but that's what philosophers are meant to do. They never expect to be liked for their work
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Didn't happen in 1984, but the man's not too far off the mark.
I still have a problem with the psychological aspects of 1984. I never thought doublethink, as he portrays it, is psychologically possible. I still don't. It seems like too much to ask of the human brain to "willfully deceive itself and then willfully forget the act of deception". And it was kinda central to how the Party was structured, so it was the loose thread that unravelled the whole setting for me.

edit - also,

Bloody awesome.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2011, 23:25   #147
Elton
Officially a Whisky Nerd

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd say it's more of the constant boot stomping the populace gets. Yes they are tired, but somehow Brave New World seems to have a society that makes more sense.

With that said, we are victims of instant gratification already, rather than people who constantly hate. So I say Orwell got it wrong.
Old 12th Apr 2011, 15:21   #148
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought I read all of Raymond E Feists riftwar books but did not.

I now have the full lot of ebooks that I am reading on my phone
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2011, 11:29   #149
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovoet View Post
I thought I read all of Raymond E Feists riftwar books but did not.

I now have the full lot of ebooks that I am reading on my phone
Now there's another series that's dragged on for far too long.

IMHO, the only ones you need to read is Magician, Silverthorn & Darkness at Sethanon, followed by Daughter, Servant & Mistress of the Empire. Those 6 are brilliant, and the Empire books are probably the best of the lot.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2011, 13:17   #150
suenstar
Collector of Things

suenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyansuenstar is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Currently re-reading The Windup Girl and just started Guild Wars: Ghosts of Ascalon.
Old 13th Apr 2011, 20:31   #151
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Picked up the Tom Clancy core series again. Finished Games, almost through Hunt. After that, I might read the Brotherhood of War series again.
Old 13th Apr 2011, 20:57   #152
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Now there's another series that's dragged on for far too long.

IMHO, the only ones you need to read is Magician, Silverthorn & Darkness at Sethanon, followed by Daughter, Servant & Mistress of the Empire. Those 6 are brilliant, and the Empire books are probably the best of the lot.
His last four has been awesome.

Today also got the David Gemmel collection
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2011, 21:08   #153
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge. Lent to me by a coworker. Seems OK so far
Old 13th Apr 2011, 22:58   #154
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Eon by Greg Bear.
Took it to Dr. office. Always a wait there.
Old 14th Apr 2011, 06:27   #155
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde.
It's the second read-through for me, it's making more sense now I understand what's going on.
Old 14th Apr 2011, 22:11   #156
boiled_elephant
Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

boiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyanboiled_elephant is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
Eon by Greg Bear.
Took it to Dr. office. Always a wait there.
I thought the whole advantage of privatized healthcare over nationalized was that there aren't big waiting times like we have in Britain? Also, hope you're not there for anything serious.

On-topic, my newest book arrived in the post today. Elbow Room: The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting, by Dennett.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 07:21   #157
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just bought a tonne of books:

Engineering Infinity by Various Authors
The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
The Numerati by Stephen Baker
The Eerie Silence by Paul Davies
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2011, 12:14   #158
<A88>
Trust the Computer

<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis<A88> can run Crysis
Just finished my review of Tony Blair's A Journey if anyone's interested
<A88> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 08:48   #159
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Just finished Neil Gaiman's "Fragile things", now onto his "American Gods" - how did I never hear of Neil Gaiman?
Old 5th May 2011, 08:51   #160
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Neil Gaiman's great. Funny you should be reading him because I'm currently on a book called 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell' that I bought simply because it had a glowing introduction by Gaiman.

The book itself is pretty interesting, it can be slow but just when its about to get tedious enough to put down, something interesting happens.

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode