bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 5th May 2011, 09:38   #161
gilljoy
I *am* a Dremel

gilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for presidentgilljoy should be considered for president
Just finished winters heart which is book 9 in wheel of time.

Now cant decide wither or not to start into book 10 of it, or to start a different series.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:43   #162
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
Just finished Neil Gaiman's "Fragile things", now onto his "American Gods" - how did I never hear of Neil Gaiman?
If you like Gaiman's style, look up the Sandman graphic novels. Excellent stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
[Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell] is pretty interesting, it can be slow but just when its about to get tedious enough to put down, something interesting happens.
I agree, it takes a while to get going, but once it does it's a great read. I can't help but feel that with a bit more aggressive editing, the book could be more exciting and half the size.
Old 5th May 2011, 09:49   #163
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
If you like Gaiman's style, look up the Sandman graphic novels. Excellent stuff.
This. Also the related Death: The high cost of living.

Just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Not bad so far.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 09:59   #164
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I'm currently reading the presidential report into the Deepwater Horizon disaster. Its very interesting and informative and is better written then a lot of books I have read. It was written with Joe public in mind so its easily understood and is free so I would recommend anyone who's curious to give it a shot.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 12:49   #165
EvilMerc
Mod Master

EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.EvilMerc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Recently finished reading I Am Legend. It is nothing like the film. Quite how they could get away with describing it as being 'based' on it is beyond me.

Currently re-reading The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton.
EvilMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 15:53   #166
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming SaiyanFlibblebot is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. Not bad so far.
I just started reading that a couple of days ago. I'm about half-way through. I'm hoping he writes more books based on these characters - it would be good to see things fleshed out a bit more.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:09   #167
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming SaiyanGreatOldOne is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The sequel is out now - Moon over Soho:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moon-Over-So.../dp/0575097604

I bought both together, so i'll be reading them back to back.
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
Old 5th May 2011, 17:11   #168
Flibblebot
Smile with me

That's cool, didn't realise that. Apparently there's a third one coming in November.

I've also just finished the latest Jasper Fforde ("One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing"). As good as ever, but I can't help but think that he's running out of ideas for the Thursday Next novels, and perhaps concentrating more on the Shades of Grey series now.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:20   #169
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Just started Ender in Exile
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 22:53   #170
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just started Stephen Donaldson's 'The Real Story' and 'The Forbidden Knowledge' (afterwards).

Sci-Fi Donaldson is an odd departure after being a big fan of The Thomas Covenant series 1 and 2 and so far is actually quite shocking in some of its openness with reference to sex, violence and such.

Very good thus far though.
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 00:39   #171
Ryu_ookami
I write therefore I suffer.

Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.Ryu_ookami is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
Just started Stephen Donaldson's 'The Real Story' and 'The Forbidden Knowledge' (afterwards).

Sci-Fi Donaldson is an odd departure after being a big fan of The Thomas Covenant series 1 and 2 and so far is actually quite shocking in some of its openness with reference to sex, violence and such.

Very good thus far though.
that series rocks

I just managed to get the ENTIRE mission earth dekalogy for 30.00 I'm halfway through Book 1 now
Ryu_ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 04:12   #172
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just finished "Hunt for zero point" and am now onto "Secrets of anti-gravity propulsion"
Old 6th May 2011, 05:05   #173
Elton
Officially a Whisky Nerd

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Crime And Punishment.
Old 6th May 2011, 08:02   #174
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
Just finished "Hunt for zero point" and am now onto "Secrets of anti-gravity propulsion"
Ooo. I've read Hunt, what's Secrets like? Another Zero like book, or lots of info on people building electrostatic lifters?
- Carl Sagan

Old 6th May 2011, 09:02   #175
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
What did you think of it? Oh and let me know how the second book is as I find it a fascinating subject?

lol just noticed I have been ninja'd by over an hour by GOO.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:06   #176
Cookie Monster
Your cookies belong to me!

Cookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming SaiyanCookie Monster is a Super Spamming Saiyan
In the past few months i've bought a few books and really enjoyed reading them. I went with autobiographys of,

Sir Bobby Robson (Being a newcastle fan),
Jackie Chan,
Chris Evans (x 2),
Slash,
Micheal J Fox (x 2) couldn't get into these though.
Fred Dibnah.

My missus has all the Anne Rice books so I'm going to try one fo them next, they are not really my thing but I'm willing to try them.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:54   #177
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Jackie Chan,
Jackie Chan's biography is brilliant. I would also highly recommend Scar Tissue, the biography of Anthony Keidis from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The guy has led an amazing life.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:23   #178
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Also apparently worth reading when looking into biographies is "The Heroin Diaries" - Nikky Sixx from Motley Crue.

As for Anne Rice - I found her "Vittorio" quite a good read, but "Lasher" as well as "Queen of the Damned" were too slow for me.

Last edited by BentAnat; 6th May 2011 at 11:24. Reason: spelling mistake
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 11:55   #179
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
Fred Dibnah.
A legend, but still a bit of a barsteward when you read about how he treat his first wife and his kids.
- Carl Sagan

Old 6th May 2011, 13:26   #180
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
As for Anne Rice - I found her "Vittorio" quite a good read, but "Lasher" as well as "Queen of the Damned" were too slow for me.
Unsure if you're aware (apologies if you are of course) but Lasher is the second book in a completely different series by Anne Rice and has nothing to do with the Vampire Chronicles; save for a truly awful crossover book she did. Without reading 'The Witching Hour' it will make no sense at all. It isn't very good anyway like you said
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aardvarks and aasvogels, say no to skimlinks, say yes to skimmed milk

View Mode