bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 22nd Jan 2015, 11:32   #181
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.
I am wondering how MS will deal with making money on Win 10, it's either going to force you to subscribe to use skype as well as other services or quite simply sell your meta data. Least thats my opinion at the moment.

DX12 does appeal to me as a gamer but will wait till the bugs have been worked out. Considering it will be an upgrade from 7-10 I assume it will make my 7 licence invalid.
MrDomRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 11:47   #182
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Personally i think Microsoft is going to use Windows 10 in a similar manner as a shopping center, get you through the door and you're going to be more likely to spend money.
OK, that's one Windows 10 with no Office. Would you like fries Media Centre with that?

I suspect they'll push the stores hard this time. Weren't they also planning on having a games store in the xbox crapp or am i mistaken?
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 11:54   #183
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
no I think they mean if you upgrade in the first year from release, it will be free, if you upgrade after you will pay, and oem's /system builders will still have to pay
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 12:38   #184
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wish they would actually put Windows licence price in a Office 365 subscription, that would be their best promotion for selling Office 365.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 13:38   #185
MrDomRocks
I Mod, Therefore I Own

MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.MrDomRocks is definitely a rep cheat.
That's actually an excellent marketing strategy, but unfortunately they wont have thought of it. Or if they did would never implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
I wish they would actually put Windows licence price in a Office 365 subscription, that would be their best promotion for selling Office 365.
MrDomRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2015, 13:58   #186
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDomRocks View Post
I am wondering how MS will deal with making money on Win 10.
Through OEM and volume licensing sales like they always have... retail/upgrade sales iirc have never amounted to much as most self-builders buy OEM copies and those that upgrade was aimed at typically didn't bother...

As for MS Pushing OneDrive, Skype etc on windows users... well no ****... how is that any different to Apple pushing iTunes, iCloud and iMessage or Google pushing Play, Hangouts and Drive? Of course MS are going to try and punt their other products/services to their users...

@faugusztin, why would they? and why would you need a windows license as part of the sub? most end-users never have to think about buying a windows license as they'll have bought an OEM device which'll already have one... And they kinda *do* do this atm, hence a lot of cheaper devices coming with 'Windows with bing' and a 1-yr 365 Personal sub, the hope/expectation being they use office for the free year and continue with a paid sub...

I do however think, and iirc they were doing it in the states for a while, they should offer a bundle - XBox LIVE Gold and Office 365 [possibly XBox Music too] as one sub...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 21:32   #187
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
New build is out-

Highlights -

Cortana is... not working ["not available in your region"], but a quick trawl of the settings denotes you will be able to turn it off...

OneDrive is still like it was in 7 rather than in 8.x, which imo is still a bad thing...

Xbox App - unfinished, but a rehash of the 'Games' app from 8.x

New 'Beta' version of the app store which is [imo] terrible...

You can toggle the 'start' menu between full screen and not... but you can't resize it any more nor [at present] change the colour... so swings and roundabouts there... EDIT: You can change the start menu's colour but it is, as in previous builds, tied to the taskbar colour.

Settings app - More like control panel in navigation but still feels unfinished...

Icons - more polished than last build

Window controls - still looks unfinished

Notifications - Much improved and you can customise which 4 actions appear at the bottom of it

In short - what felt unfinished in the last build feels more finished in this, but the unfinished bits in this build feel more unfinished/noticeable...

Last edited by RedFlames; 24th Jan 2015 at 00:37.
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 21:59   #188
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thanks for the screenshots.
Old 23rd Jan 2015, 23:56   #189
RedFlames

Oh and one more thing...

Spartan...

...there's no Spartan, just regular ol' IE, for the moment at least...

EDIT - Whilst the xbox app itself works, any xbox-enabled app store games, don't... and no, uninstalling and reinstalling them didn't help...

Last edited by RedFlames; 24th Jan 2015 at 00:29.
Old 25th Jan 2015, 11:00   #190
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i'm a little disappointed that they haven't enabled half the features that showcased and said would be in the new preview release, in the uk version
Old 25th Jan 2015, 11:07   #191
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
i'm a little disappointed that they haven't enabled half the features that showcased and said would be in the new preview release, in the uk version
Like what?
Krazeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2015, 13:21   #192
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

cortana for one, xbox streaming, I know they are not finished, but even a sample would be nice
Old 25th Jan 2015, 14:34   #193
RedFlames

Quote:
cortana for one, xbox streaming, I know they are not finished, but even a sample would be nice
Cortana is enabled... just only for en-US users for this build [it was the same on the phone... Americans first, everyone else... eventually...]

Couldn't comment on the xbox steaming as i didn't have a XB1 to test it with...

Was a little disappointed there was no hint of 'Spartan' though...

Old 25th Jan 2015, 14:42   #194
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Cortana is enabled... just only for en-US users for this build [it was the same on the phone... Americans first, everyone else... eventually...]

Couldn't comment on the xbox steaming as i didn't have a XB1 to test it with...

Was a little disappointed there was no hint of 'Spartan' though...
that was my point it's enabled for us customers, how hard can it be to enable it for an english speaking country
Old 25th Jan 2015, 15:14   #195
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
that was my point it's enabled for us customers, how hard can it be to enable it for an english speaking country

Sorry, couldn't resist .
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2015, 15:35   #196
loftie
Mod Master

Ah but Cortana exists in the UK, so they should have the accents sorted. Funny video though
Old 25th Jan 2015, 19:37   #197
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Upgrade directly to the latest build of Windows 10 from Windows 8 or Windows 7

For those of you on Windows 7 or 8.1, that have so far stayed away from the technical previews of the new OS, there’s a new way which allows you to upgrade your devices: Windows Update. The process is simple and the system will install a whole new version of Windows as if it were like a regular update.

http://www.neowin.net/news/upgrade-d...8-or-windows-7
Quote:
Under the Hood: How DirectX 11.3 and 12 Will Supercharge Windows 10 Gaming

Currently Windows 8.1 is equipped with DirectX 11.2. Coming next will be not one, but two releases. The first, DirectX 12 (DX12), targets low-level/high-performance code. Think game engine development. In many ways it's similar to vendor-specific efforts like Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'s (AMD) Mantle API. The goal of all of these efforts is often summarized as getting the developer "closer to the metal".

The second release will be DirectX 11.3 (DX11.3), which will feature more approachable APIs for independent developers. It will feature a paired down set of DX12-like features, but won't pack quite the raw firepower of DX12. Both APIs will reportedly operate side by side, giving developers flexibility along with a degree of commonality.

http://www.dailytech.com/Under+the+H...ticle37095.htm
Old 26th Jan 2015, 02:53   #198
freshsandwiches
Can I do science to it?

freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.freshsandwiches is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Anyone know if the free upgrade to windows 10 includes windows 7 starter?
Old 26th Jan 2015, 03:28   #199
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshsandwiches View Post
Anyone know if the free upgrade to windows 10 includes windows 7 starter?
I'd assume so, IIRC only Windows RT and the Enterprise versions were specifically mentioned as ineligble... So unless/until MS say otherwise I'm under the impression all retail/oem versions are 7 and 8 are eligble, including 'Starter' the 'N' versions and the 'with Bing' version of 8...

though exactly what version of 10 you upgraded to I couldn't say...

Old 27th Jan 2015, 10:28   #200
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Enable new clock experience in Windows 10
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/26/ena...in-windows-10/
Quote:
Neowin reports that the build ships with a new clock experience that users can enable. The clock, integral part of all versions of Windows, has not changed much since the release of Windows Vista.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote