bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 4th Oct 2014, 16:51   #81
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
In a pre-release telemetry like that is pretty much a given...

They'll want to see heatmaps of who's clicking/tapping where and how often, which can [does] affect menu/ui layouts amongst other things.

funnily enough telemetry like this is how/why the start menu was dropped in the first place

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2014, 16:56   #82
Mr_Mistoffelees
More Spanners Please.

Mr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming SaiyanMr_Mistoffelees is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post

Personally i wouldn't install a beta OS outside of a test environment, strangely some people seem to think a technical preview OS is in the same class as using something like a beta version of Winzip.
Very sensible, I run it inside VMware Player.
Mr_Mistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2014, 17:02   #83
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
funnily enough telemetry like this is how/why the start menu was dropped in the first place
I suppose that while people weren't using it much because of desktop shortcuts or the taskbar or whatever; it is still a useful construct for when you do need to find something thats not pinned to the shortcut or a shortcut on their desktop. But of course telemetry won't tell you that.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2014, 17:09   #84
RedFlames

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
I suppose that while people weren't using it much because of desktop shortcuts or the taskbar or whatever; it is still a useful construct for when you do need to find something thats not pinned to the shortcut or a shortcut on their desktop. But of course telemetry won't tell you that.
If few people are clicking the general area of the start button or pressing the Win key they can probably say with some certainty the start menu isn't getting much use... If people are relying on pinned taskbar items or desktop shortcuts, they'd see lots of clicks on other bits of the taskbar and/or lots of use of the Win+D shortcut or the 'show desktop' button/trigger area.

Old 4th Oct 2014, 17:14   #85
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
If few people are clicking the general area of the start button or pressing the Win key they can probably say with some certainty the start menu isn't getting much use... If people are relying on pinned taskbar items or desktop shortcuts, they'd see lots of clicks on other bits of the taskbar and/or lots of use of the Win+D shortcut or the 'show desktop' button/trigger area.
Yes I know. But people will still need to use some kind of menu system at one stage or another. Telemetry won't give you feedback on how useful that system is when people do need to use that menu system.

So if its being used rarely it doesn't necessarily mean you should get rid of it. Because when it is actually used it still quite useful. Sort of like that weird tool you have in the toolbox that rarely gets used. But when you need it you're glad you have it.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 17:21   #86
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I may not use the fog lights on my car from one year to the next, does that mean they aren't needed. Somethings may not get much use but they are still important.

EDIT: Came across this on gHacks.
Add Preview Build settings to Windows 10
http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/04/add...to-windows-10/
Quote:
There is not much of use here right now. While you can switch the delivery method to fast, it is not clear if it will impact the delivery at all at this point in time.

Last edited by Corky42; 4th Oct 2014 at 17:38.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2014, 18:08   #87
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
I may not use the fog lights on my car from one year to the next, does that mean they aren't needed. Somethings may not get much use but they are still important.
Exactly
Old 4th Oct 2014, 18:14   #88
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Exactly
True, but neither should you be too surprised when the put the switch for them somewhere out of the way...

Old 4th Oct 2014, 18:19   #89
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quote:
True, but neither should you be too surprised when the put the switch for them somewhere out of the way...
I'm not going to engage further in metaphors. It soon becomes a game of poking holes in the metaphor rather than the actual subject.
Old 4th Oct 2014, 18:26   #90
RedFlames

I know what you mean, anyway i'm not saying either way whether it was a good decision to ditch the start menu as it was, but it was based on the data/feedback they had at the time.

Old 5th Oct 2014, 18:41   #91
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
References for Windows 8.1 update 2 found in Windows 10

Windows 8.1 update 2 did exist, at least, internally at Microsoft. As you can see in the image above, there is a clear reference to the unreleased update that we likely now call Windows 10. This indicates that, at some point, Microsoft planned to deliver the Start menu to Windows 8 via update 2 but changed their minds and instead decided to include the menu in a brand new OS: Windows 10.

What likely occurred, and this is a bit of educated speculation, is that Microsoft made the decision to move on from Windows 8 as it had not been meeting internal sales expectations. Instead of trying to prolong the life of Windows 8 and make it more attractive to the consumer, they drew the line in the sand and started defining the feature set of Windows 10 that we see today. Besides, it would be a very hard marketing move to say that Windows 8 now has the Start menu that consumers want after trying to educate them that they don't need it in Windows 8 as the Start screen is better.

http://www.neowin.net/news/reference...-in-windows-10
Old 5th Oct 2014, 18:52   #92
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!
Quote:
Article quote that requires too much work to requote
In my mind it sounds very much like the vista to 7 transition. 7 probably could have come as a vista update.
Old 6th Oct 2014, 03:13   #93
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apparently the Previous Versions tab has been spotted in the file properties window. Is there any confirmation that Shadow Copies are back, or has the tab just been left on by accident without the actual functionality behind it?
Old 6th Oct 2014, 03:32   #94
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN View Post
Apparently the Previous Versions tab has been spotted in the file properties window. Is there any confirmation that Shadow Copies are back, or has the tab just been left on by accident without the actual functionality behind it?
The 'Previous Versions' Tab is indeed there but the description is 'Previous Versions come from File History or Restore Points' so I'd guess it relies on File History rather than VSS like in 7...

Old 7th Oct 2014, 00:15   #95
RedFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
I218-V not recognized here, I211 works.
Finally managed to get to work, needed to download the Driver *CD* from here then point device manager at it...

Neither the installer from intel's site [nor the installer on the CD] will install... just says it can't find an intel adaptor...

You don't get any of the management gubbinz doing it that way, but you do get working ethernet...

Old 7th Oct 2014, 12:27   #96
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10 doesn’t fix the desktop—it fixes Windows 8’s reputation
Like Vista before it, Windows 8 has gotten a bad rap it just can't shake.
After using the new desktop for a few days, I can say that it really feels more like Windows 8.2 than Windows 10 (the software isn't nearly done yet, but the point stands). And there's some indication that this was Microsoft's plan all along; the Start menu and the ability to run Windows Store apps in resizable windows were originally rumored to be part of an "Update 2" for Windows 8.1, though those plans were obviously scrubbed.

So why is Microsoft calling this one Windows 10 rather than continuing to build on top of the two-year-old Windows 8? The answer is in the name.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...8s-reputation/
Quote:
Microsoft to "Allow" Non-Metro Apps Into the Windows Store Next Year

Windows 10 will expand the scope of the Windows Store

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+t...ticle36674.htm
Quote:
Windows 10 Technical Preview Using Real-Time Keylogger?

If you have installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview, you also gave permission to Microsoft to collect data of your usage and report that back to Microsoft as feedback to improve the product. Closer examination of the code shows that you could be sending data in real time as you type.

Quote:
Some are calling this a keylogger within the Windows 10 Technical Preview, which isn't good news. Microsoft is collecting data on text entered as is it trying to improve auto correct within the system, however I don't think many users will be happy with Microsoft watching text being inputted into the system.
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2014/10/...me_keylogger63
Old 7th Oct 2014, 16:04   #97
RedFlames

Well first major problem has reared itself in the form of Windows Update and/or the App store deciding it's going to eat itself...

EDIT: nvm, appear to be a problem at MS' end...

Last edited by RedFlames; 7th Oct 2014 at 17:50.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 10:09   #98
Corky42

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Not that most people need the following pointed out to them (it's probably just me overreacting)

How to Send Feedback to Microsoft in the Windows 10 Technical Preview
http://www.howtogeek.com/197604/how-...nical-preview/
Quote:
Microsoft wants your feedback about Windows 10 — really, they need it. This is the most important feature in the Windows 10 Technical Preview — not a Start menu, virtual desktops, or windowed “universal apps.”

Your feedback will be particularly crucial as Microsoft begins using A/B testing, rolling out different versions of features to different users and seeing who’s the happiest. The feedback from Windows 8 testers was spot-on, so Microsoft is now listening.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 11:02   #99
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Registry tweak enables faster start-up for Apps in Windows 10

You may have come across a nag from the Windows Action Center that asks you to consider disabling some apps from the start-up process when Windows boots; this is all part and parcel of Microsoft trying to ensure speedy boot times, and as a result -- from Windows Vista onward -- it added a "Start-up delay" for apps. This is especially apparent in Windows 8, which was geared mainly toward touch and tablets.

This start-up delay can be disabled with varying results, to reduce the delay, do the following
http://www.neowin.net/news/registry-...-in-windows-10
Quote:
Windows 10: You can enable the Notifications Center

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...et-excited-yet
Quote:
x64 version of Notification Center hack now available for Windows 10

Yesterday we reported that a Twitter user named Adrian, had put together a patch that enabled a partially functioning Notification Center for the Windows 10 Technical Preview, which is currently disabled in build 9641. That patch was limited to x86 builds, but now a x64 version has also been made available.

http://www.neowin.net/news/x64-versi...for-windows-10
Quote:
Microsoft is delivering Windows 10 via Windows Update for Windows 7 users

We're not entirely sure if this has been openly covered, or if many people know about it, but Microsoft is currently delivering the Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows 7 users via Windows Update natively for thos who have signed up for the Insider Program and are on Windows 7. Much like any normal update, Windows will see it as an update and install it, and depending on whether you've got automatic updates enabled, Windows 10 could just be installed without the user needing to do anything.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...indows-7-users
Old 9th Oct 2014, 09:14   #100
Corky42

Here are the Top User Requests for Windows 10
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...sts-windows-10
Quote:
A reader has sent along the results of his script-based analysis of the top feedback requests for Windows 10 in the Windows Technical Preview. And it won't surprise you to discover that the most popular requests are an interesting mix of common sense ideas and superficial changes.
Are they all sensible requests ?
Personally I'm looking forward to something like this, seeing what people suggest and vote up.