bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 1st Dec 2014, 21:34   #141
silk186
Canadian

silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.
We've had the same numbers game with firefox and chrome.
What I want to know is if I will be able to upgrade the consumer preview that is coming soon to full retail with a purchased key
silk186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 21:42   #142
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Kind of a random question, but...

Is Windows Movie maker still around, or did that end with the W7 version?
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 22:11   #143
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It appears to still be around: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...maker-download

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 22:53   #144
silk186
Canadian

silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.silk186 is definitely a rep cheat.
Is anyone brave enough to put the consumer preview on their main rig?
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 23:01   #145
Krazeh
Mod Master

Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Krazeh is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silk186 View Post
Is anyone brave enough to put the consumer preview on their main rig?
Have been running it as my sole OS since it became available. Haven't had any major issues.
Krazeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 23:08   #146
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.
I put it on my laptop. My laptop is now dead.
Windows 10 killed my laptop!
Although I suspect that after 6 years the Radeon graphics just gave up since I get no screen output to the internal display.

I did like what I saw until it died, but then I'm happy with 8.1 (I wasn't a huge fan of 8) but 8.1 fixed my major niggles, just for kicks I'm going to try to install it onto an original atom n270 netbook, OK I've bumped the memory to 2gb and dropped an ssd in there but I'm keen to see how it handles the lower spec hardware, it seemed snappy enough on my old turion laptop.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 23:11   #147
silk186
Canadian

Interesting, I will need to do a fresh install of windows soon and I'm thinking of holding off and trying the consumer preview. Is AMD driver support likely to be an issue? I don't see official support on the AMD driver page.
Old 2nd Dec 2014, 23:17   #148
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.
It wasn't for me, beta drivers were there, installed well and played nice, I didn't get to experiment too much though.

I suspect the demise of my laptop had something to do with my stripping it down and not reapplying the thermal pad correctly on the graphics chip.
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 00:31   #149
silk186
Canadian

Than I will give it a try in 2 months when the consumer preview is rumored to release
Old 3rd Dec 2014, 03:20   #150
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Looks like it hasn't changed from the Windows 7 version I'm running. Thanks
Old 11th Dec 2014, 11:51   #151
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10: Microsoft plans to let users upgrade from Preview to RTM builds

There’s good news on that front – although it does come with one important caveat. As WinBeta reports, Microsoft’s Gabriel Aul, who works on the Windows Insider program, was asked a few days ago on Twitter if it would be possible to upgrade to the RTM build from the Preview branch of releases, to which he replied: “Yes, that is our intent.”

Clearly, then, Microsoft is planning to offer a direct upgrade path for those using preview builds to the RTM version that will ship when the OS finally launches next year. But it's important to consider Aul's wording carefully, as he does not state outright that this will be the case, but merely that it is Microsoft’s “intent” to make that happen.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-1...-to-rtm-builds
Quote:
In the face of a new reality, Microsoft starts to talk about monetizing Windows

Turner stated the following:

Quote:
And finding new ways to monetize the lifetime of that customer on those devices, again, I would tell you we’re learning, we’re growing, and we’re smarter and wiser every day. And we still have some more learning and growing to do in that space. But, stay tuned. The business model stuff will be out in the early — probably the early part of 2015.
Beyond that specific comment, Turner also stated that they will not be using the platform as a loss-leader. This means that the company plans to generate revenue from the platform and will not give it away to simply maintain market share.

http://www.neowin.net/news/in-the-fa...tizing-windows
Quote:
Microsoft makes a nod to subscriptions for Windows 10
Company looks for new ways to monetize platform to avoid making it a loss leader.

The implication, then, is that Microsoft is looking at generating some kind of on-going revenue from Windows users to replace the initial purchase. Previous rumors have already pointed toward the creation of Windows subscriptions, and Turner's answer also points at some kind of subscription system.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...or-windows-10/
Old 11th Dec 2014, 13:19   #152
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Anyone getting the feeling that Windows 10 may turn out to be a decent OS only to be ruined by the management with some stupid choices like subscriptions, forcing a Microsoft account on people, or forcing the OS to check validation everyday.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2014, 12:47   #153
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.impar is definitely a rep cheat.
Greetings!

Quote:
Windows 10 build 9901 shows new consumer features

A little more than a month from now, Microsoft will pull back the curtain on Windows 10's consumer features. Thanks to Paul Thurrott of the eponymous SuperSite for Windows, though, we can already catch an early glimpse of what Microsoft has in store. Thurrott has posted a whole boatload of screenshots from build 9901 of Windows 10, showing such things as:

- A more fleshed-out version of Cortana, Microsoft's voice-activated digital assistant, complete with a search field right in the taskbar.
- A unified Store app that combines "apps, games, music, and movies & TV" with "document-style vertical navigation" (meaning, hopefully, no more horizontal scrolling).
- Revamped Xbox and Photos apps.
- A new Settings app that "shows how Microsoft may replace both PC Settings and Control Panel with a single UI." Microsoft replacing Windows' weird mish-mash of new and old control panels seems long overdue.
- Plus some visual styling changes, including a black taskbar, new buttons on Modern UI window frames, and a handful of fresh wallpapers.

http://techreport.com/news/27504/win...sumer-features
Old 15th Dec 2014, 13:05   #154
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Anyone getting the feeling that Windows 10 may turn out to be a decent OS only to be ruined by the management with some stupid choices like subscriptions, forcing a Microsoft account on people, or forcing the OS to check validation everyday.
If subscription is optional, it may offer an alternative for some, like Office 365. Cost per year for a three-year lifespan until the next upgrade is not that different from buying the suite outright.

Daily validation check? Can't see that happening. Not all PCs are constantly tethered to the net.

Old 15th Dec 2014, 14:03   #155
Corky42

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Office 365 is very pricy if you're a single user.
You may need to tell Microsoft that not everyone is tethered to the net, they thought every Xbox owner was.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 15:33   #156
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

True, but XBox is a home device, whereas Windows may be running on anything from PCs in the Arctic to laptops on a train (without WiFi).

Then again, not the first time that the Microsoft board acted dumber than a sack of squirrels...

Old 15th Dec 2014, 15:35   #157
Corky42

Let's just hope the suits don't throw a spanner in the works.
Old 24th Dec 2014, 10:31   #158
impar
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Greetings!

Quote:
Microsoft to offer January's Windows 10 Tech Preview via Windows Update

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...windows-update
the system language has to be one of the following: Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Taiwan, Czech, Dutch, English United States, English United Kingdom, Finnish, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Polish, Portuguese Brazil, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, or Turkish
Old 24th Dec 2014, 13:34   #159
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Office 365 is very pricy if you're a single user.
You may need to tell Microsoft that not everyone is tethered to the net, they thought every Xbox owner was.
Not really, as you don't just get office with the sub... You Skype minutes [60/month iirc] and extra OneDrive space [10TB currently, though I have the 5-license sub, the 'personal' sub might be less]... Factor those into the cost and it's actually not a bad deal... You also get access to more of the suite than you would if you just bought a copy of 'Home and Student'...

As for constant internet connection, it doesn't need one, though it does ask you to sign in again every now and again...

As for making windows a subscription, whilst the sub model doesn't bother me for office, I'd still rather buy windows outright if I can... though ultimately it all depends on the price and what if anything you get in the way of extras...

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2014, 13:46   #160
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It really depends. For example the Skype minutes are useless to me (pretty much no one have land lines these days and it is not possible to use them for mobile in my country), OneDrive is painfully slow to sync... FYI OneDrive is 1TB now, unlimited soon.
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote