Taigart has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
TDP problem

Hi guys,

I want to cool an i5 6600k @4.5Ghz and an itx gtx970 OC

If my calculations are correct:

i5 @4.5Ghz = ~150W at full
itx gtx970 OC = ~220W at full

full load = ~370W

According to hardware labs http://www.hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/...formance-chart

the M160GTX can dissipate 400W
the M182GTX can dissipate 440W

a M160 or M182 will be enough to cool my system (CPU + GPU) ?

Thank you!

Last edited by Taigart; 30th May 2016 at 16:19.
Taigart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 16:34   #2
Big Elf
not another f-ing elf

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No, unless you can find some decent 80mm or 92mm fans with high static pressure which are likely to sound like jet engines if you do.

I note that Hardware Labs don't quote the water temps with the dissipated watts so if they're 30C above ambient with the full 400/440W for example you'd be better with air cooling.

I'd be looking at a dual 120mm rad as a minimum with decent fans.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X│24GB Corsair Dominator GT│GTX Titan SLI│Samsung 850 EVO 256GB│Crucial M4│2TB Samsung Momentus x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK-FC Titan SE x 2│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3│Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 10:22   #3
Taigart
Minimodder

Taigart has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Elf View Post
No, unless you can find some decent 80mm or 92mm fans with high static pressure which are likely to sound like jet engines if you do.

I note that Hardware Labs don't quote the water temps with the dissipated watts so if they're 30C above ambient with the full 400/440W for example you'd be better with air cooling.

I'd be looking at a dual 120mm rad as a minimum with decent fans.
Thank you very much for your answer Big Elf.

I saw these noctua fans http://noctua.at/en/nf-r8/specification

53 m/h 1800 RPM 17 dB

Normally they should move enough air while sound quiet...

The problem is that I have only 2x92mm and 2x80mm fan holes in my itx case.

I have enough space to put a radiator for the 2x92mm while for the 2x80mm this option is available only if I install the fans outside the case (not best option for me).

I will probably go for the M182GTX for the CPU, keeping my GPU aircooled and see if I can keep my temps around 70 @4.4/4.5Ghz....If temps will be around 50 (almost impossible) then I will add a waterblock for the gpu and see what happen
Taigart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:50   #4
Big Elf
not another f-ing elf

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Those fans are unlikely to be strong enough although they might just work for a stock or lightly loaded CPU.

Never trust a manufacturers performance figures, you don't know what their test parameters are.
Case Labs TH10│Asus Rampage III Extreme│Core i7 990X│24GB Corsair Dominator GT│GTX Titan SLI│Samsung 850 EVO 256GB│Crucial M4│2TB Samsung Momentus x 2│SeaSonic P1000W│EK Supremacy│EK FC-RE3│EK-FC Titan SE x 2│EK-RAM Dominator│Black Ice SR-1 480 x 3│Swiftech 35X2
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote