bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

View Poll Results: Should we be EU members?
In 105 64.02%
Out 44 26.83%
Shake it all about 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th Jun 2016, 08:14   #81
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Feeling blue?
Left out?
Bored?
Don't have anything constructive to contribute?

Just Godwin a thread and all will be well.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|GTX 980|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2016, 16:57   #82
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Feeling blue?
Left out?
Bored?
Don't have anything constructive to contribute?

Just Godwin a thread and all will be well.
Chances are its fake anyway. I don't think they had the technology to do fancy rendered overlays with transparency effects in the 30s or 40s.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2016, 17:59   #83
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No, it's real actually. The black-and-white Nazi propaganda film was recently shown on the BBC series Auschwitz: The Nazis and the Final Solution. Hence the English subtitles.

Probably where Farrage got his inspiration.

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Godwin's law itself can be abused as a distraction, diversion or even as censorship, fallaciously miscasting an opponent's argument as hyperbole when the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2016, 18:33   #84
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ok, that explains the modern overlays then
Old 20th Jun 2016, 18:43   #85
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yup. Now the similarities with Farage's poster are striking. What is the chance that a Nazi propaganda film that was recently shown on the BBC would happen to resemble a photo of refugees used on a UKIP campaign poster?

I was only half joking when I said that Nigel Farage got his inspiration from the BBC programme. I think that he actually did. Which tells me that he found the Nazi film appealing. he found it a compelling argument and wanted to replicate it. A nice little glimpse into that man's soul.

Old 21st Jun 2016, 14:38   #86
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming SaiyanPorkins' Wingman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
You can throw in the towel now, Leave Campaign - the decisive blow has been dealt...
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2016, 15:01   #87
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins' Wingman View Post
You can throw in the towel now, Leave Campaign - the decisive blow has been dealt...
Wait - is Skeletor on board as well? You know Beckham's opinion counts for nothing, unless he checked with her first.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|GTX 980|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2016, 15:31   #88
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Yup. Now the similarities with Farage's poster are striking. What is the chance that a Nazi propaganda film that was recently shown on the BBC would happen to resemble a photo of refugees used on a UKIP campaign poster?

I was only half joking when I said that Nigel Farage got his inspiration from the BBC programme. I think that he actually did. Which tells me that he found the Nazi film appealing. he found it a compelling argument and wanted to replicate it. A nice little glimpse into that man's soul.
It kind of explains why Merkel took so many refugees into Germany.
Old 21st Jun 2016, 22:50   #89
Risky
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.Risky is definitely a rep cheat.
I have voted remain. I can find much fault with the EU can work at times, but I'd rather Britain was in, trying to change it that out having to live with it anyway.
Old 21st Jun 2016, 23:15   #90
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
It kind of explains why Merkel took so many refugees into Germany.
I agree; Germany is still very aware of its history.

I also think there may be a personal twist to this: you may remember when at a public forum Merkel was confronted by an eloquent 14-year old Palestinian girl crying about her family's possible impending deportation after four years of living in Germany. Merkel tried to handle this difficult situation admirably (regardless of what the critics said, she was damned if she caved in and damned if she stayed tough) but it must have been a soul-searching moment for her.

But what was she to do? If she tries to be human and invites refugees into Germany she gets lambasted as an irresponsible softie; if she turns little refugee girls away she is a hard-faced bitch. It's tough making tough decisions...

As the New Yorker wrote about this incident:

Quote:
Immigration is an issue that forces a country to ask what it likes about itself.
People often don't consider the human factor. They want doctors and nurses to be compassionate carers, but also to resolutely turn away injured and sick illegals when they present at A&E. They want the coast guard to be brave and heroic, but also to leave illegals to drown in their dinghies on the North Sea. They want politicians to care about people --but it has to be the right people, natch. Our people, screw the rest.

You can't have those contradictory psychological stances in a healthy, functional human being. Only sociopaths can split and encapsulate like that. That's the sucky thing about all these refugee crises: we stare into the abyss, and the abyss stares right back at us.

Old 22nd Jun 2016, 01:01   #91
walle
I *am* a Dremel

walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.
Merkel together with the European Commission took a suicidal decision – to be kind, a spasm of irrationality - which will forever change the very fabric of German society and culture, by extension all of Europe since Germany is the heart of the continent. German history played no part in her decision anymore than meeting a 14 year old Palestinian girl, women are quick to emotion but there are limits even for them.

To call this a breach of trust and abusive of office would be an understatement, a betrayal of he German nation.

In any case.
Political policies should never be based on feeling good but on doing good, regardless of what polices are being made.

Ninja edit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
They want politicians to care about people --but it has to be the right people, natch. Our people
That's what government is hired for, to first and foremost look after the best interest of the nation, that is its job, what the trust agreement is based on. You may not like it Nexxo, but that's what it all comes down too.

Last edited by walle; 22nd Jun 2016 at 01:14.
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 01:17   #92
Broadwater06
Multimodder

Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Broadwater06 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Embarrassing moment for Gove - John Barnes denied supporting leave, he's for remain. Leave is in short supply of celebrities, still they can always count on Mike Read.
Broadwater06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 01:35   #93
walle
I *am* a Dremel

walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadwater06 View Post
Embarrassing moment for Gove - John Barnes denied supporting leave, he's for remain. Leave is in short supply of celebrities, still they can always count on Mike Read.
With the celebrity worship being what it is these days I'm sure the remain camp will boost its numbers, the leave camp could achieve the same if they could get some celebrities on board. It wont matter much what these celebrities say since most worshipers wont listen anyway, they just see their idol backing either leave or remain side and that's all they'll need to be swayed in either direction. It's what they will base their entire decision on.

Our Western civilization is great in many ways but the celebrity thingy is most definitely not its greatest achievement.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 07:31   #94
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
That's what government is hired for, to first and foremost look after the best interest of the nation, that is its job, what the trust agreement is based on. You may not like it Nexxo, but that's what it all comes down too.
Apart from that for some people, "our people" does not necessarily include all citizens of their nation, how has nationalism and pure self-interest worked out for us in history?

Old 22nd Jun 2016, 10:38   #95
tiger-moth
Modder

tiger-moth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlongbeard View Post
No, "undecided" option?
Nor on the ballot paper - I suspect they'd do quite well.

I'm voting Remain.

I've yet to find a single rational argument from the leave camp. I'm sure there must be some.
But on the whole they seem to prefer lies and xenophobic, emotive rants.
The atmosphere on their FB page was extremely poisonous.
tiger-moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 22:38   #96
walle
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
How has nationalism and pure self-interest worked out for us in history?
It's been the source of the rich cultural diversity the Europeans have enjoyed over the centuries and its' been instrumental in spurring innovations, artists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and explorers etc.

Sure there's been low points and you can judge the entire continent and culture on its lowest points in history - rather than its highest points – and when you do make sure to apply the same approach to other continents and cultures, as well as look at where we are today.

All things considered I would say that it has served us rather well.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 23:46   #97
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
With the celebrity worship being what it is these days I'm sure the remain camp will boost its numbers, the leave camp could achieve the same if they could get some celebrities on board. It wont matter much what these celebrities say since most worshipers wont listen anyway, they just see their idol backing either leave or remain side and that's all they'll need to be swayed in either direction. It's what they will base their entire decision on.

Our Western civilization is great in many ways but the celebrity thingy is most definitely not its greatest achievement.
Who the hell is Barnes anyway. lol
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VII ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[EVGA GTX980]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech G502,Belkin razer N52TE,
HyperX Cloud II]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 08:08   #98
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
It's been the source of the rich cultural diversity the Europeans have enjoyed over the centuries and its' been instrumental in spurring innovations, artists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and explorers etc.
Do you and i have different understandings of what nationalism is? My understanding is that nationalism is the diametric opposite of what you describe, it's defiantly not a source of rich cultural diversity.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 08:22   #99
walle
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
My understanding is that nationalism is the diametric opposite of what you describe, it's defiantly not a source of rich cultural diversity.
Nationalism celebrates the nation, its culture, its history and looks after the best interest of the nation. Celebrating your culture assures both diversity and strong cultural identity, it's definitely a source of rich cultural diversity when sovereign nation states express it on a continental scale, and yes it's been instrumental in spurring innovations, artists, scientists, engineers, philosophers and explorers etc, in part also because of competition.

Ninja edit.
Nationalism is based in the nation, national identity, that's not always the case with patriotism, though often times the lines are blurred.

Last edited by walle; 23rd Jun 2016 at 10:24.
walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2016, 09:21   #100
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Sorry you initially said "It's been the source of the rich cultural diversity", now you seem to have changed that to "strong cultural identity" what one is it?

Are you getting patriotism and nationalism confused as what you seem to be describing is patriotism, nationalism is the extreme form of patriotism marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries, something you seem to be contradicting with your claim of diversity.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doctor john zoidberg