bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 10th Nov 2016, 16:42   #981
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
better than that - California have the ability to solve the water problem - IF fracking was banned.

but guess what

oh and I seen pence wants to criminalise homosexuality
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 17:11   #982
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
The streets will burn the day he does and hopefully he is intelligent enough to know that and not do it, but then again he is dumb enough to want to ban in it in the first place.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 17:38   #983
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
The streets will burn the day he does and hopefully he is intelligent enough to know that and not do it, but then again he is dumb enough to want to ban in it in the first place.
if what the media is portraying is true - the streets are close to blowing up anyway
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 18:19   #984
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Pence will be like George Bush Sr.'s vice president. Remember him?

This is the Trump show. It's a solo act all about me, me, me. And one good thing that can be said about Trump not having principles is that he doesn't give a damn what people get up to in the privacy of their bedroom, or what public toilet they use. It's a non-issue to him.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 18:22   #985
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Pence will be like George Bush Sr.'s vice president. Remember him?
A few others have said elsewhere that if Trump is Dubya mk 2, that makes Pence Cheney mk 2.

Well doesn't this look friendly...

Last edited by RedFlames; 10th Nov 2016 at 18:31.
RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 18:42   #986
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No, George Bush Senior. Who was his vice president?

(Obama's got bigger hands. )

Last edited by Nexxo; 10th Nov 2016 at 21:37.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 18:48   #987
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
No, George Bush Senior. Who was his vice president?
Dan Quayle? All i know about the guy is he can't spell 'potato'...

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:14   #988
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliqu3011 View Post
As a white person you have the privilege of not being turned down for a job just because of your name
Didn't stuff like that happen in Northern Ireland where everybody had white privilege.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:21   #989
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

As I said above:

Quote:
I think that you totally misunderstand the concept of privilege. In biology for instance everything that an animal is born with to give it a good start in life is called "privilege" (even egg yolk is). It is a given advantage, not one that is earned. This is why we call people born in relative wealth or high social class as "privileged". Some of our privileges are physical attributes that in certain societies or cultures give us a perceived advantage over others: intelligence, height, looks, gender. Most of us have one or another. Like in natural selection what attributes convey an advantage is dependent on context (the environment) and subject to change, but in certain societies, certain attributes do convey a societal advantage, and when they do they are privileges.

You and I have male gender (still a privilege in this society) and intelligence and being born in circumstances where we enjoyed the privilege(!) of educational opportunities. All things being equal, we simply have more power and can command more respect and influence than someone who is not intelligent and educated, or someone who is female. We generally get better jobs and earn more money, too.

So yes, in the context of Western society white male privilege still exists, like all sorts of other privileges like class, wealth, even nationality (an American will not face the same problems visiting Britain that a Syrian does). That is not an accusation, and it's not something you asked for, and not something that you are necessarily conscious of enjoying or wish to exploit, but it's simply a fact of life, and if you are aware of that you can ensure that you are a bit fairer with your fellow human being.
In Northern Ireland there was Protestant (and male) privilege, if you will.

Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:33   #990
Pliqu3011
busy surrounding skeleton

Pliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan

I don't entirely agree with everything Pie says here, but I think it's an important viewpoint to share. There should be less yelling and more willingness to have a conversation from all sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Didn't stuff like that happen in Northern Ireland where everybody had white privilege.
Could be.
Privilege isn't a completely black-and-white concept (pun not intended). If you read the wikipedia page I linked you can see one of the main criticisms of the term is that it isn't always nuanced. <x> privilege shouldn't be seen as a categorical statement about all people with characteristic <x>, in all times. Groups of privilege can overlap, subgroups can exist.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:39   #991
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
As I said above:

In Northern Ireland there was Protestant (and male) privilege, if you will.
That's just it isn't it. People's circumstances are different all over. A white protestant from Northern Ireland wouldn't have his white protestant privilege were he to migrate to Japan or Korea where he would just be an oddity to the locals. The problem is just automatically tarring everyone with this one brush of x privilege doesn't do anyone any favours. It pisses the person with the supposed privilege off and undermines those who have a genuine disadvantage.

I think people get too wrapped up in internet stuff from America and start assuming things are the same in their own locale. Even in America, who has more privilege: The daughter of a wealthy blackman or a white yokel living in a trailer park with alimony for 2 ex wives.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:43   #992
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Exactly. Think of privilege as the memetic societal equivalent of genetic attributes that convey a natural selective advantage in a certain environments/conditions. There are a bunch of them and they interact and have different levels of influence. And if the societal environment changes, what was a privilege before becomes a neutral attribute or even a disadvantage.

So when I talk about white male privilege I am talking about a specific societal advantage in a specific society. In Japan, being white does not convey privilege. Being male still does, however.

This is also not tarring with a brush; it is acknowledgement that we live in a society where people get stereotyped in ways that advantage and disadvantage them in different contexts (and sometimes at the same time). I have experienced discrimination for my ethnicity but am also aware of my male privilege in some situations, and definitely the privilege conveyed by my educational opportunities (even if I actually had a teacher suggest to me once that I didn't belong in her school for white middle-class kids, and twice teachers believed I cheated on my homework assignment because it was "too good"). I don't get sore about it because everybody experiences prejudice in some form or other. And everybody also experiences some advantage in some way or other because of it. It's a fact of life.

Last edited by Nexxo; 10th Nov 2016 at 19:56.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 19:48   #993
Anfield
Mod Master

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
As I said above:
Indeed, as you said yourself:

Quote:
This is why we call people born in relative wealth or high social class as "privileged".
High social class is really the same thing as wealth, we are on the same page:
Privilege comes from wealth.

But when people drag race or gender into it we enter the very murky waters of correlation does not imply causation.
R7 1800X, ASRock X370 Taichi, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 DDR4, ASUS Strix 1080TI OC, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 4TB WD Black, EVGA T2 1KW, Lian Li PC-O9WX, EK Supremacy Evo, EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Ducky Shine 6 (Brown Switches), Logitech G402, AOC U3477PQU (34" 21:9 ftw)
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 20:07   #994
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Wealth is a pretty universal privilege, so it's quite unambiguous.

Here's a nice anecdote about the contextual nature of privilege. A researcher studied what happened to two social classes in London: the descendants of a group of upper middle class Victorian women (and some men) involved in charitable works for the poor, and the working class Victorian poor families that they supported.

Research found that in present day, the descendants of the upper middle class charity workers are still upper middle class families, living in affluent areas of the country, well-educated in good schools and working in high-earning jobs. The descendants of the working class poor are still working class, living in working class areas and doing unskilled jobs working in factories and call centres and the like. In 200 years there has been no social mobility.

Except: some of the Victorian poor got caught in a crime and deported to Australia. Those descendants are doing splendidly: one is a mayor. Another a judge. Many are highly qualified professionals leading affluent lives.

What gives? A change of context and hence, of privilege. When you're all a bunch of convicts sent to the new Australian colony, what matters is not so much where you came from (class privilege) as what you can do. All of a sudden social class doesn't matter, because they're all the same*. Intelligence does. Resourcefulness does. Having useful skills does. And those people thrived.

* Of course, as the Aboriginals found, being white did matter, and as women experienced, being male still mattered; those distinctions were still made.

Last edited by Nexxo; 10th Nov 2016 at 21:21.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 20:14   #995
Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming SaiyanPliqu3011 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
But when people drag race or gender into it we enter the very murky waters of correlation does not imply causation.
Did you look at the 2 studies (and the article) I linked above? When scientists study these implicit biases they take measures avoid correlations that could influence the result. They're not stupid or incompetent.
The first study for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
We perform a field experiment to measure racial discrimination in the labor market. We respond with fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perception of race, each resume is randomly assigned either a very African American sounding name or a very White sounding name. The results show significant discrimination against African-American names: White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews. We also find that race affects the benefits of a better resume. For White names, a higher quality resume elicits 30 percent more callbacks whereas for African Americans, it elicits a far smaller increase. Applicants living in better neighborhoods receive more callbacks but, interestingly, this effect does not differ by race. The amount of discrimination is uniform across occupations and industries. Federal contractors and employers who list Equal Opportunity Employer in their ad discriminate as much as other employers. We find little evidence that our results are driven by employers inferring something other than race, such as social class, from the names. These results suggest that racial discrimination is still a prominent feature of the labor market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination
[...]
Data limitations make it difficult to empirically test these views. Since researchers possess far less data on workers than employers do, White and African American workers that appear similar to researchers may look very different to employers. So any racial difference in labor market outcomes could just as easily be attributed to these differences unobserved by researchers as to discrimination.
We conduct a field experiment to circumvent this difficulty.
[...]
In practice, we typically send four resumes in response to each ad: two higher quality and two lower quality ones. We randomly assign to one of the higher and one of the lower quality resumes an African American sounding name. In total, we respond to over 1300 employment ads in the sales, administrative support, clerical and customer services job categories and send nearly 5000 resumes. The ads we respond to cover a large spectrum of job quality, from cashier work at retail establishments and clerical work in a mailroom to office and sales management positions.
[...]
Old 10th Nov 2016, 21:01   #996
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Its interesting that there is no one in the bottom right corner.
That's because the question's are geared towards pidgeon holing everybody into the corners where the establishment want you be.

I could re-write those questions to put verybody in the empty square.
In reality the empty square represents the place people you pay to govern you don't want you to be as a negates their purpose in your life and kills their means of earning a living off you.

Make no doubt, making political cucks trappped in idealogies are exactly what these establishments have been playing us for all along.

Divide and conquer.

Last edited by Tynecider; 10th Nov 2016 at 21:10.
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 21:19   #997
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Source?

If that's true Trump should sack him, Trump got a massive vote from the Florida gay community.
Remember the Florida nightclub terrorist attack...
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 21:23   #998
Pliqu3011

^
Did you just use the word "cuck" in a discussion?
Unironically?

Internet protip: don't use /pol/ buzzwords outside of that containment board if you want people to take you seriously.
Old 10th Nov 2016, 21:25   #999
Yadda
Vegan Sandwich

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliqu3011 View Post
^
Did you just use the word "cuck" in a discussion?
Unironically?

Internet protip: don't use /pol/ buzzwords outside of that containment board if you want people to take you seriously.
I'm glad it's not just me that thinks this.

So far everyone that I've heard use it has turned out to be a loon.

i5 4690k @ 4.6GHz / ASRock Z97m OC Formula mATX / 2x8GB Crucial Tactical DDR3 @ 2200MHz C10 / EVGA GTX 780 @ 1200/6400MHz / BX100 250GB SSD / Seagate 2TB SSHD / Nepton 240m AIO / EVGA 600B PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / Win10 Home / 1080p monitor / Logitech MOMO wheel
Yadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2016, 22:27   #1000
KayinBlack
Toxophile

KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.KayinBlack is definitely a rep cheat.
It's like thehippoz is back.

PC: Intel i7-4830K, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 64GB GEiL Golden Dragon 1333MHz RAM, EVGA nVidia Titan Black 6GB Hydro Copper, Blu-Ray burner, 4x250GB Samsung 840 EVO in RAID 10, Corsair AX860i.
KayinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
*hillary, crooked hillary, f*ck logic, halloween costume choice, hilliary vs. trump, ignore, literally shaking !, make america great again, nightmare 2017, not the brexit thread, tiny hands, trumpocalypse, trumpton, us election