bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 20th Jan 2017, 11:04   #41
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm reasonably serious. Carl Sagan actually developed a plan back in the seventies to seed Venus with thermophilic blue-green algae and bacterial strains. These are the kind of algae and bacteria that grow comfortably in temperatures of up to 100 degrees C or more in high pressure, high CO2, acidic environments like for instance deep sea volcanic fumeroles.

Although the temperature on Venus is 460 C at equatorial ground level, it is cooler at the poles and definitely in the upper atmosphere. Sagan figured that if NASA sent some simple probes with algae seed pods (the probe itself need not survive for long, it is just a delivery vehicle), the algae's exponential growth could start off a reversal of Venus' greenhouse process and create a habitable, oxygen rich atmosphere at Earth-like pressures and temperatures within a century.

In practice there turn out to be a bunch of snags and difficulties with that plan, but I think that it is worth studying further and has more legs than trying to terraform Mars.

However I would put our very first priority at developing the technology required to intercept, destroy or divert potential planet-killer asteroids. It would be telling of us as a species of we ended up going the same way as the dinosaurs.

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.

Last edited by Nexxo; 20th Jan 2017 at 11:15.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2017, 13:13   #42
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I do believe the current plan involves nukes - which would not really do much.....
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2017, 16:06   #43
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd rather we at least attempt to not **** up this planet before messing with others.

Also wrt to terraforming you'd thing Venus would be the preferred candidate because it's a: closer, and b, for many of the reasons nexxo said. I think it all boils down to the fact warming a planet up is seen as being easier than cooling a planet down, plus the corrosive atmosphere means you can't shove a human on there until the process is pretty much done...

Either way it'd be a colossal effort.

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2017, 16:41   #44
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I do believe the current plan involves nukes - which would not really do much.....
I think they quickly abandoned that idea when they figured out using a nuke turns a bullet into a shotgun blast.

BTW the whole colonisations thing can't really get of the ground until we establish a base on the moon (IMO).
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2017, 17:24   #45
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
I think they quickly abandoned that idea when they figured out using a nuke turns a bullet into a shotgun blast.

BTW the whole colonisations thing can't really get of the ground until we establish a base on the moon (IMO).
Whilst a moon base would at least demo that we have the tech to support a martian colony, in the grand scheme it'd be like attempting to climb Everest by putting base camp at the end of your street.

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2017, 18:52   #46
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
In terms of pure distance it would but if you can suggest a better midway point I'm all ears.

Besides, and I've not looked into exact figures, isn't most of the resources (money, fuel) spent just getting out of earths orbit, and again I've not looked to deeply into it but wasn't there talk of mining the moon for fuel and stuff for the trip to Mars.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2017, 14:43   #47
rainbowbridge
Banned

rainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyan

The Earth, as seen from the Moon's surface. This was taken shortly before Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin got out of Apollo 11 to go walk on the Moon.

Look at the ridicules levels of beauty visible from the moons surface and try to say a meaningful base with support logistics towards a Mars mission is not a good idea?
I am with Corky42 a little about the moon base. There is a very good reason for it, the moon has two things very important.

- Regolith (moon dust, some places its only a few mm thin and in some parts it has collected to very deep like 15meters)
- Helium-3

I think most people have heard of Helium-3 from a couple of years back, but not many people know that Regolith can be processed to provided a lot of what we need up there, oxygen, titanium.

Titanium helps with base building believe that..

In theory what you would want to do is work and practise with a nice moon base and commuting routine up to the moon right? Get some real refinements and day to day month on month experience, the moon would act as a mothers womb to a mars mission and support none to our dreams up there..

If any thing went wrong with our precious astronauts (moon), they are reachable with in a manageable time frame, that is if some thing went wrong we could have feet on the ground with in three days (72 hours, say 100 hours to give emergency 28 hour ground prep?).

If we solidified our place on the Moon, including adjusting the publics awareness of space, bringing it and its benefits into the hearts and minds of people, further support would be there.

That is to say, we prove to every one that we have this open door, we have built the door frame, put the door on the hinges and now we need to go outside properly out to more deeper space.

Mars is so far away, if we do go to Mars in one go with out the moon, we need to over Engineer that, sending up support materials for 5 and 10 years ahead of main Mars lander group 1 sounds like a very good idea.

An interesting question is, if we go to Mars direct, putting technical enhancements to the side, how does its scale compare to the difficulty of Mans first flight, landing, and return from the Moon in 69.

I think its close, the demands from a Mars landing and settlement set up are a lot man, its a big ask be it today or even in 20 years.

Its all in motion now so... its going to happen, just like the worlds surface being covered mainly by AI self driving cars.
rainbowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 21:59   #48
GorgTech
Modder

GorgTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think mankind still needs a few years for such a mission. What looks easy in the movie "The Martian", is still a dangerous task.
GorgTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2017, 22:31   #49
supermuchurios
Ultramodder

supermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyansupermuchurios is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbridge View Post
one day this thread will celibrate the first man (+women) landing on mars, and I am going to bump this post if I am still alive.

If im apparently not alive, can some one else bump it for me? :-)

I see thats a bit tech DIY BUTT KICKER you got there?

Only if you learn how to spell celebrate first.
Case: NZXT S340 MOBO: Asus Trooper B150 D3 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHZ CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 Graphics: MSI GTX 1060 'Armor' (6GB) CPU Cooler Coolermaster Hyper 103 PSU: EVGA 'Supernova' G2 750W SSHD: Toshiba H200 1TB SSD: Hynix 250GB
supermuchurios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 21:50   #50
rainbowbridge
Banned

rainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyanrainbowbridge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hopefully tesla (tesla motors renamed to tesla) can help a little on this, or is it already too late and the damage is done?

Old 3rd Feb 2017, 22:28   #51
Harlequin
Banned

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowbridge View Post
Hopefully tesla (tesla motors renamed to tesla) can help a little on this, or is it already too late and the damage is done?

I'm sure trump can help!
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 22:38   #52
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Trump is indeed working hard on climate change: he is withdrawing from the Paris agreement and abolishing the Environmental Protection Agency. Great job!

But the damage is already done anyway. We are already past the point of no return.

Old 3rd Feb 2017, 22:51   #53
Yadda
Vegan Sandwich

Yadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming SaiyanYadda is a Super Spamming Saiyan
F*** me, I must stop thinking this thread is about aftershave. Every time...

i5 4690k @ 4.6GHz / ASRock Z97m OC Formula mATX / 2x8GB Crucial Tactical DDR3 @ 2200MHz C10 / EVGA GTX 780 @ 1200/6400MHz / BX100 250GB SSD / Seagate 2TB SSHD / Nepton 240m AIO / EVGA 600B PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / Win10 Home / 1080p monitor / Logitech MOMO wheel
Yadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2017, 09:57   #54
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Pour Homme.

Old 8th Feb 2017, 22:26   #55
rainbowbridge
Banned

Ride Elon Musk’s Hyperloop

Last edited by rainbowbridge; 13th Feb 2017 at 20:29.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 20:31   #56
rainbowbridge
Banned

Elon Musk doubles down on universal basic income: 'It's going to be necessary'

In an interview with CNBC in November, Tesla CEO Elon Musk joined a growing list of tech executives who support universal basic income as a possible solution to the widespread unemployment that automation will likely cause.

Universal basic income is a system in which all citizens receive a standard amount of money each month to cover basic expenses like food, rent, and clothes.

On Monday, Musk doubled down on his initial support for the concept.

"I think we'll end up doing universal basic income," Musk told the crowd at the World Government Summit in Dubai, according to Fast Company. "It's going to be necessary."

The economic forecasts for the next several decades don't bode well for the American worker

Further reading Clcky
Old 14th Feb 2017, 12:33   #57
rainbowbridge
Banned

Elon Musk envisions human colonies ‘beyond Mars’, skyrocketing unemployment on Earth

crap video no1

crap video no 2

those guys are hiding the good quality video of event ?
Old 14th Feb 2017, 18:25   #58
rainbowbridge
Banned

Astronomers find SIXTY new planets orbiting stars near our solar system - and say some 'could be like Earth'
Old 15th Feb 2017, 12:33   #59
rainbowbridge
Banned

Elon Musk says humans must become cyborgs to stay relevant. Is he right?

That doesn't sound good
Old 16th Feb 2017, 22:43   #60
rainbowbridge
Banned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ve-driver.html

Elon Musk hails hero who sacrificed his Tesla to save another driver's life (and says his car will be fixed for free)
 Manfred Kick, age 41, used his Tesla Model S to stop a car on the Autobahn
Kick saw the driver was slumped over the wheel and pulled his car in front
Pumped the brakes until cars stopped - causing  $10,651 in damages to his Tesla
Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, praised Kick and said Tesla will be paying for damages