bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > Serious

Old 14th Dec 2016, 01:10   #21
walle
I *am* a Dremel

walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.walle is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
(It's panto season here in the UK. If you ever come over around Christmas, I'll take you to one. It's fun).
It would most likely be during summer time and together with my girls. My wife would love to visit England again though she's not too keen on London. If we decide to go I be sure to let you know well in advance, it would be nice to meet up for sure.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 05:42   #22
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Stop feeding him and he'll bugger off back to the EU thread
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 08:40   #23
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Aw, Gunsmith, where's the love?

"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams"

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 08:50   #24
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Your sleeping through your kids calling out at night is more to do with the fact that you know your wife is there to heed their call.
With us it's the other way around, I usually hear the girls first....even though when watching the telly or something I need a much higher volume than she does.

That said, I do usually wake her then, but that has a lot to do with me having to get up 3 hours earlier
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus VW246H 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 13:08   #25
loftie
Mod Master

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I remember watching the victoria derbyshire program a while back with them reporting on something - it was a while back. So they had people from both sides of this in the studio, and the reporting strategy seemed to be ask person 1 a question, as person 2 how they thought about the answer while trying to sh*t stir, then do the same in reverse. Of course both people seemed to be getting rather annoyed, probably what they wanted, and then it was basically "that's all we've got time for, lets move on".

I thought the same when she did the EU stuff in the morning.

TL: DR reporting the news seems to be dead, we need to make it more exciting.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 13:58   #26
Pete J
RIP Teelzebub

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Do you know what I miss? The days of the Nine O'Clock News, when the newsreaders would warn parents in advance if there were horrifying images about to be show. I'll never foget the image of a dolphin cut in half.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 14:30   #27
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
Do you know what I miss? The days of the Nine O'Clock News, when the newsreaders would warn parents in advance if there were horrifying images about to be show.
That would now have to be a permanent banner scrolling across the screen.

Old 14th Dec 2016, 15:30   #28
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J View Post
Do you know what I miss? The days of the Nine O'Clock News, when the newsreaders would warn parents in advance if there were horrifying images about to be show. I'll never foget the image of a dolphin cut in half.
I'd prefer Not the Nine O'Clock News

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 15:57   #29
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

These days it would be hard to tell the difference.

Old 14th Dec 2016, 17:23   #30
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't read many of their online pieces, sound too similar to the other shady, ad-driven sites for my liking.

What has driven me around the bend is the p*** poor programming going on now. Top Gear was basically removed, Saturday Kitchen was butchered, heck even Bargain Hunt and the damn Bake-off (hooray!) can't escape. Horizon isn't worth watching anymore, even Planet Earth 2 was pretty disappointing as it didn't cover many of the most interesting places from the first one, but still did ruddy jungles.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with this, but paying for a TV license means I feel rather invested in it all. I should in theory be able to sit down and watch something interesting that isn't Masterchef The Professionals.

I like period dramas too, but there are just too many that aren't so good on now. Poldark was pretty naff, although was it ever going to be anything different? The BBC is just getting ripped to shreds in terms of quality by the online streaming services. Westworld, Game of Thrones, Vikings, Bosch, Daredevil, Narcos etc. all were good.

The whole, play it safe and offend nobody nature of the BBC has made it decidedly boring in my book.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 17:50   #31
Isitari
Supermodder

Isitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I don't think I'd describe the rape scene in poldark as 'playing it safe' nor planet earth 2 as a let down after even my least academic students were talking about it!

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
Isitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 17:57   #32
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I wouldn't want to be the BBC, i mean how can you treat controversial subjects with due accuracy and impartiality?

It's sort of tricky to treat a disputed, debatable, or contentious subject impartiality when facts or evidence overwhelmingly show those disputed, debatable, or contentious subject are wrong.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 19:21   #33
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

The BBC has been in New Labour's government's crosshairs ever since it was critical of the Iraq war. Add to this that the current Conservative government simply doesn't believe in state-sponsored television (especially not one with a much-respected news service that could be critical of government) and that the BBC is not allowed to properly compete with commercial broadcasters, and it is pretty much set up to fail.

Top Gear's demise was purely due to Clarkson's poor impulse control. Horizon has had to be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience, but at least it brings some science to the masses.

Old 14th Dec 2016, 20:04   #34
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The thing is state sponsored broadcasting knows which side its bread is buttered on. It is the government that makes not paying a fee a criminal offence, it is the government that organises its collection (at least here it is). No matter what the official stance is on impartiality, the government ultimately hold the purse strings on state broadcasters and it therefore is impossible for an impartial public broadcaster to exist. Private broadcasters /reporters are at the beckon call of private interests. So there is no unbiased broadcasting regardless of the monetisation model.

Therefore I have to sit with the conservatives on this one, because private broadcasting doesn't enforce ridiculous collection methods for services that people don't necessarily want. Sky has never wanted to look around my place to see if I have a sky box connected.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 20:39   #35
Anfield
I *am* a Dremel

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001 View Post
Sky has never wanted to look around my place to see if I have a sky box connected.
In return they force you to pay for bundles of stuff you don't want just so you can legally access the select few bits you want that occasionally interrupt their 24/7 ad channels.

There is no winning for consumers.

Last edited by Anfield; 14th Dec 2016 at 21:14.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 20:48   #36
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
While i sort of agree with you Shadow there'd be a problem if the BBC went down the private funding route, there's only so much money to go around and having another player competing for private funding (advertising) would probably mean the money get's spread thinner, that in turn would probably reduced the overall quality.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 21:10   #37
theshadow2001
[DELETE] means [DELETE]

theshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyantheshadow2001 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Invariably the quality would drop. The point of a business is to make a profit which means squeezing everything you can out of it. Even if the money was the same investors will want to pull their large as possible cut out of it.

But it doesn't matter because the sort of broadcasting that the BBC do is already behind the times anyway. The future of entertainment is small independent broadcasters catering to niche interests via video on demand services (youtubers basically) coupled with large VOD corporations making the high budget stuff (The Amazon version of top gear for example). The generation being born now, will not want the BBC in any way shape or form. They will find the idea of pre-determined programming schedules bizarre.

I think the reason that governments are so enthusiastic about having a state broadcaster is because it means they always have a platform to reach the people from. I've no idea what they will do when people just don't bother with televisions. But I've got a feeling it won't be good for anyone but politicians.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2016, 22:20   #38
Pete J
RIP Teelzebub

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
These days it would be hard to tell the difference.
What I find quite frankly terrifying is how The Day Today became...real.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 01:20   #39
Byron C
This space for rent.

Byron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming SaiyanByron C is a Super Spamming Saiyan
BBC News has lost the plot, yes. The rest of it isn't too bad but I can't stand to watch/read BBC news. To be fair though I've pretty much given up on mainstream news media anyway. Good quality journalism and current affairs reporting only occasionally slips through the cracks, and it's hard to constantly fact-check what you read/hear/see in order to find out whether you're being lied to; even if what you're being told is something which fits with your way of thinking or your view of the world. But it's especially galling, considering that the BBC is supposedly a bastion of impartiality and journalistic integrity, when you learn that the BBC is quite happy to flat out lie about our cozy (and highly profitable) little arms deals with a terrorist state.

But I'm not sure I want it privatised. There's something nagging in the back of my mind which tells me that a public service broadcaster not owned by private corporations is inherently a good thing; just like having a public health service not owned by private corporations is a good thing. Though the fact that it has its head crammed so far up the collective arseholes of the establishment, the elite, the monarchy, and the goverment du jour makes it extremely difficult to see where one finishes and the other begins.

I pay my TV tax - sorry - TV "licence", I pay for Virgin Media... but I hardly watch any broadcast TV these days, it's almost exclusively VoD.

Saturn: Gen8 Microserver, G1610T, 4GB RAM, 5TB Disk | Titan: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, 160GB USB HDD | Rhea: XW4600 Workstation, Xeon X3323, 4GB RAM, 292GB 15K SAS Array | Earth: RVZ01, i5-4670K, GA-Z97N-WIFI, 8GB RAM, 4GB GTX970 | Mars: Dell Inspirion 15-7559, i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 4GB GDDR5 GTX960M
Byron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2017, 22:16   #40
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming SaiyanEnding Credits is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
But it's especially galling, considering that the BBC is supposedly a bastion of impartiality and journalistic integrity, when you learn that the BBC is quite happy to flat out lie about our cozy (and highly profitable) little arms deals with a terrorist state.
Skimming that article, I didn't see any mention of outright lying.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote