bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 1st Jan 2017, 14:05   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDude111 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Last night I fixed a VHS tape of a movie I got.. (I didnt realise the tape was broken (It broke right @ the end of the clear leader tape))

I opened the shell and got completly aggravated as I cant ever get those 2 pieces in the back BACK IN once they come out..... (I dont know how they go in and when I open the shell,they usually fall out) I was almost going to give up and throw it away but then I remembered I had a blank cassette I could use the shell from.......

I carefully opened THAT SHELL and looked closely inside on how to remove the spools without those pieces coming out!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFYh1V-JmW81E-0grpXhsOky2hN9_emN__hm0gYsLXyEKWAeWWVtlLUfw (Those things behind the spools)

I opened the take up spool and took the old lead tape off and just clamped the play tape to the spool (The dark tape) ...... Finally got it back in,screwed together and I tried it and SHE WORKS WELL!!!!!!!!

This is the first vhs tape I have fixed properly!! (With those pieces still there (I didnt wanna lose this 1st release of this movie..... A very good/scary Paul Newman movie! (1981 - Absence of Malice)))

Its rewarding!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2017, 18:55   #2
Evolutionsic
Gives credit where its due

Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.Evolutionsic is definitely a rep cheat.
My nan had her mind set on purchasing a new table because one of the table legs was broken, after inspection the leg was missing the nuts which slide inside the leg so anything can screw inside them...

So i hammered some permanent screw holders into the leg holes, and boom perfect table again...

Now instead of purchasing a new table she wants a new Sofa set costing 5x as much... Nps
Old 1st Jan 2017, 19:52   #3
Pookie
Level 0

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Did a couple of repairs for my sister, ber bed had a few busted slats so I made up some new ones and fitted them, and her bookcase shelf needed fixing too. I fix PC crap every dayso I'm not listing any of that.
Old 1st Jan 2017, 20:24   #4
fix-the-spade
Mod Master

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I re-did the Supra Wire on a gentleman's glasses that had a mishap over Christmas.

No doubt I'll mend a bunch more specs next week too.
Old 1st Jan 2017, 20:39   #5
David
RIP Tel

David is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming SaiyanDavid is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Most recently, a broken screen on my little un's laptop.

I fix up stuff all the time - not sure if it's because I get a thrill out of extending the life of something or that I'm a tight git. Probably both. Most of the appliances in my kitchen have been repaired by me.

I like resurrecting dead monitors, or buying a couple for spares/repairs and building a working unit out of the bits. The 30 inch Dell sitting in front of me was a repair job, almost five years ago, and it's still going strong.

Main rig - 6700K|Z170|32GB|256GB M.2|500GB SSDs|8TB NAS|980 Ti|3007WFP-HC|Parvum S2.0
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2017, 21:52   #6
Isitari
Supermodder

Isitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming SaiyanIsitari is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Most recently of all things a cello. On the software front getting a VPN to work with a virtualized OS, in this case a guest Ubuntu install and a host Windows one.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk
Isitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jan 2017, 22:05   #7
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What counts as a repair though? Does pulling the blade(s) out of a tool and getting them sharpened and then re-installing count? Does pulling a (self inflicted) dent on my vehicle count? How about replacing the starter?

More often than I repair stuff, I take parts from old, broken things and make new stuff from them. My whole house is made of stuff like this.

That said, repairing a VIA tape in this day and and he is impressive
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 08:12   #8
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Reminds me that the yearly-spool-through on the VCR to flex the beltdrives is due again.

Replaced the tiny belt in a CD-ROM drive.... I'd just have swapped it out completely but IDE-CD-ROM drives seem to be unobtainable new on an industrial level)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus VW246H 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:11   #9
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan13eightyfour is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Swapped out the smashed screen on my old Lumia 1020 last month, much easier than I'd expected tbh. Aside from tinkering with computers the only other things that I 'fix' on a semi regular basis is my bikes but that's mostly maintenance stuff really.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:23   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nothing technical: my mother bought a chair from a charity shop and only discovered that one of its feet was loose and badly repaired when she got it home. Quick and nasty repair with some mending plates and brackets and it's good as new.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 10:39   #11
Corky42
What did walle eat for breakfast?

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Last thing i repaired was the washing machine, it started tripping the fuse because of a failing heating element so that got replaced with a new one for £40.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 12:51   #12
Vault-Tec
Green Plastic Watering Can

Vault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming SaiyanVault-Tec is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Probably the most recent thing would be my wife's Ecig.

MUWC Winner ROTT
Vault-Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 13:22   #13
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming SaiyanUnicorn is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well I make a living from repairing things, many of which are too boring to share here. But an interesting one would be the windscreen wiper stalk on my van, which arced and caused a small electrical fire a while back whilst I was driving during a heavy rain shower! It left me with wipers but no screen washers for a couple of weeks. I just needed a new stalk module and the fuse which it took out, so thankfully it was a simple enough repair.

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 13:25   #14
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
I've not got round to testing it yet but the last thing I (hopefully) repaired was the brake pedal of my Sidewinder force feedback steering wheel. Before that it would be fixing an annoying update issue with Windows 7 on my mum's PC.

I have an old Samsung monitor that I think I can fix but the ribbon cable I need is quite expensive, maybe there is a cheaper alternative but I'm no expert on cables.
i7 6700K|Sabertooth Z170 S|16GB Crosair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz|KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF|Creative Sound Blaster ZxR|Super Flower Leadex Gold 850W|Corsair 780T|HP LP2475w|Speedlink Medusa 5.1|CM Storm Inferno|Windows 10
SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 14:35   #15
RedFlames
...is a figment of your imagination

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So no-one here prone to stuff like this:

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 18:57   #16
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
^Ha ha, me far too many times.
i7 6700K|Sabertooth Z170 S|16GB Crosair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz|KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF|Creative Sound Blaster ZxR|Super Flower Leadex Gold 850W|Corsair 780T|HP LP2475w|Speedlink Medusa 5.1|CM Storm Inferno|Windows 10
SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 20:16   #17
Dr. Coin
Supermodder

Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Coin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Most of my recent repair jobs have been fixing (mostly gluing) cheaply made toys for my sons.
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 20:28   #18
Behemoth
Timelord in training

Behemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming SaiyanBehemoth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Bought a laptop from someone at work for cheap money as they were going to bin it, they had no idea what they wanted for it, whats was wrong or what the specs were. They said for £20 I could have it.

It turned out to be faulty RAM

Thats the most recent thing I've repaired.
|Dell Latitude E6320|Intel Core i5 2520m 2.5 GHz|8 Gig of RAM|
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 21:43   #19
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Bought a laptop from someone at work for cheap money as they were going to bin it, they had no idea what they wanted for it, whats was wrong or what the specs were. They said for £20 I could have it. It turned out to be faulty RAM
Nice! I had something similar back in the 90s: bought an Atari 1040STe with 4MB RAM for £1 'cos it didn't turn on; replaced the internal fuse and all was well. Total time spent: about three minutes. Did me solid for a decade and a half, that machine, until I gave it a new home in the last clearout.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 03:03   #20
Gaming_freak_10
Ultramodder

Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.Gaming_freak_10 is definitely a rep cheat.
The last thing I repaired?? I recently fixed a friend's truck due to the last owner's screw up.. The Battery top terminals. Runs quite well now. Also replaced the headlights for him as well. Quite a experience to do!
Black Fox: Processor: AMD FX-6300. Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 5.0). 16GB DDR3 RAM. 64GB SSD. 640GB and 320GB HDDs. XFX 5770 HD Graphic card. Case: Thermaltake Core V21. PSU: EVGA NEX750B 750Watt PSU

In memory of Kidmod-Southpaw (1997 - 2014) and Teelzebub (1955 - 2016)
Gaming_freak_10 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode