Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 13th Jul 2007, 19:26   #41
Deep-Blue
Part-time Overclocker

Deep-Blue has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford010 View Post
Heh, yea. But we digress.
If anyone has any suggestions for an on access scanner with any kind of enterprise manager I'd be impressed.
If you want to pay for it, Sophos does exactly that. One of my clients has a couple of macs on their network, and they have an enterprise copy of Sophos, with full on-access scanning. TBH the macs can't exactly catch the virus as SUCH, but it can be a carrier, so its safer for them to have it than not.

Not cheap tho...
Old 13th Jul 2007, 22:40   #42
bradford010
Bradon Frohman

bradford010 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep-Blue View Post
If you want to pay for it, Sophos does exactly that. One of my clients has a couple of macs on their network, and they have an enterprise copy of Sophos, with full on-access scanning. TBH the macs can't exactly catch the virus as SUCH, but it can be a carrier, so its safer for them to have it than not.

Not cheap tho...
Yea, should've mentioned my personal experience with Sophos and it being pretty weak. The EM will only run on Windows (not sure about *NIX, don't think so though) and the client lacks a lot of features for a 'commercial enterprise' product.
Also heard McAffee is pretty poor, and I wouldn't touch Norton with yours!
I remember when I first rolled out CS2 and the CPU would become saturated when trying to print (mostly just from AICS2) and printing would literally take 45 minutes. Turned out to be the Sophos scanner going nuts and scanning the print job!!

I notice though that after actually taking a good dig into ClamXAV prefs you can set it up as a sentry and watch nominated folders. Would be a killer AV app with an EM.

If anyone else manages Macs in a business/education environment then check out (if you haven't already)...
Carbon Copy Cloner -- Great clone tool, useful for backing up, ghetto fabulous for quick and dirty rollouts (think I'm repeating someone else's suggestion with this)
NetRestore -- The successor to CCC for rollouts, tonnes of useful stuff (Bombich FTW!)
Apple Remote Desktop -- Does what it says. Easy to pick up, powerful when mastered.
Radmind -- Can be used to cover the software rollout/management shortfalls of ARD.

Oh, and recently came across this (free) alternative to AppZapper, AppTrap. Difference is AppTrap is a PrefPane which kicks in whenever you drag an app to the trash.
And another! WhatSize, scan your drive for info on file and folder sizes. Drill down through a layout not unlike Finders column view.
Those Synergy posts confused me! My experience of Synergy is sharing one Keyboard and mouse between a PC and a Mac. GUI wrapper also available.

Last edited by bradford010; 13th Jul 2007 at 23:03.
bradford010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2007, 19:48   #43
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MacFusion.

It lets you mount your server as if it's just another volume on your PC, ie. all your PC's applications have direct access to the files located on your server. There's no need to copy them across and then access them, MacFusion will allow your apps to access them as if they're on your PC's hard drive - even though they're physically sitting on your server's hard drive.

As it uses OpenSSH for its encryption you can be anywhere in the world and mount your server securely. For example, your server can be sitting in your lounge room/study/spare room/etc. and you can be on the other side of the world. You can use MacFusion to securely mount your server over the internet and all your apps will behave as if the files were on your (local) PC's hard drive.
Old 10th Aug 2007, 21:04   #44
bradford010
Bradon Frohman

bradford010 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good call, been using it myself for a while for secure ftp connections.
Not really had any issues thus far.

MacFusion is actually a GUI for MacFUSE, the OS X port of FUSE (File-system in USErspace).
bradford010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 11:58   #45
beamifrend
What's a Dremel?

beamifrend has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Any recommendations on cheap music creation software that would work on a G3?
beamifrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 13:24   #46
Sam0r
It's been a while

Sam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming SaiyanSam0r is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamifrend View Post
Any recommendations on cheap music creation software that would work on a G3?
Cubase SE 1.05. I use it on my powerbook

I've used it on a 350mhz G3 as well and it ran rather well considering!
Sam0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 15:44   #47
RTT
#parp

RTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming SaiyanRTT is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://cogx.org/

For audio ripping
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 08:00   #48
M_D_K
I Mod, Therefore I Own

M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.M_D_K is definitely a rep cheat.
Adium - quite a nice little chat program handles pretty much everything, bit like Trillian.

Little snitch
- Quote - "Little Snitch tells you when a program tries to send info to the Internet so you can see what's going on in the background!"
Transmission - Really good bit-torrent client.

Computer setup - MBP 15" (2016), iPad Pro 12", Surface Pro 4, Dell XPS 18
M_D_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 08:20   #49
Murdoc
Gas Mask..ZOMG

Murdoc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_K View Post

Little snitch
- Quote - "Little Snitch tells you when a program tries to send info to the Internet so you can see what's going on in the background!"
Excellent, just what I have been after.
Murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 08:22   #50
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.Jamie is definitely a rep cheat.
StreamRipperX - Lets you record your fav internet radio for listening to later or on the go.

Handbrake - Very easy to use video encoder

VisualHub - Best app to convert video for use on ipods,psp,etc
Old 30th Oct 2007, 08:23   #51
Fr4nk
Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Fr4nk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Azurues/VUZE - Personally prefer this over Transmission

Shapeshifter - Guikit applier .etc- basically windows blinds for mac

CoverSutra - Displays Album art on desktop in a jewel case, as well as a mini player/remote

Gmail Notifier - self explanatory

Inquistor for safari - a class plugin for safari - works like firefox suggestions but is considorably more custmiseble

And Pages 08 is excellent - much better than word 2007 - keynote too but numbers is slipping - compared to office... Though I really don't use spreadsheets so its all good

/Fr4nk

Last edited by Fr4nk; 30th Oct 2007 at 21:59. Reason: Typing posts as you are leaving for college is bad :/
Fr4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2007, 08:26   #52
Mankz

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Numbers 08 is also far better than office 07.. Shiney 3D Graphs anyone?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2007, 11:45   #53
koola
Eat my...

koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.
PEnGUIn Encoder MP4 - A great PS3/PSP/iPod/iTV MP4 encoder for Apple Intels & PPC.

Dev blog: http://penguintool.blogspot.com/
koola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 13:27   #54
Draxin
Seeker of Photons

Draxin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A handy app for those of us with an MBP (MacBook Pro). Only works with the MBP as far as i know. Still in early beta so there are some bugs (the email a photo feature for instance doesnt seem to work)

iAlertU - (Video of an earlier version) :: (PAGE) :: (Tiger Download) :: (Leopard Download)
Draxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2007, 14:20   #55
dragontail
5bet Bluffer

dragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I second Quicksilver. Probably the best productivity app on the market today. Seriously useful, and you won't be able to live without it once you tried it :S
Old 28th Dec 2007, 18:27   #56
koola
Eat my...

koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.koola is definitely a rep cheat.
Smultron - Great alternative to TextMate and free. Features in syntax colouring, tabs, auto-completion etc...
koola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2007, 22:37   #57
ryanjleng

ryanjleng has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by planki View Post
i remember reading about those guys on wired a while back, i think they spent all of their time coding that in a coffee house somewhere.
Yes! i like their software.

ehm..

KisMAC
http://kismac.macpirate.ch/
ryanjleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2008, 09:18   #58
Softix
What's a Dremel?

Softix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have newly acquired MAC and I am glad that I was able to come across this thread. I was indeed looking for MAC downloadable software which I will used in my MAC . Anyway thanks for sharing all useful links here.
Softix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2008, 00:41   #59
ckrieger
Minimodder

ckrieger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, Coda definitely is the best web development software I've used. Panic makes the best software. Coda's a bit pricy, but it's well worth it.
ckrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2008, 05:06   #60
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrieger View Post
Yeah, Coda definitely is the best web development software I've used. Panic makes the best software. Coda's a bit pricy, but it's well worth it.
I must agree. I just bought the thing, and it wins.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple