bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 27th Nov 2010, 17:19   #101
semiotic
What's a Dremel?

semiotic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In case it hasn't been mentioned before Caffine for MacBook/pro users to stop the screen going dim or turning off on battery
semiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 11:08   #102
Lovah
Apple and Canon fanboy

Lovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for president
I may have posted here already, but it's worth mentioning again
- Aperture 3.0

It's about all I run on my iMac.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz | iMac 27" i7 | iPad 2 16GB WIFI
Lovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2011, 14:15   #103
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I'm not sure if these have already been posted, but they're new to me and crucial to EVERYONE:

moveAddict: This is a fairly simple bit of software that enables Cut, Paste and Folder Merge commands for Finder. If you're a lifelong Mac user I daresay you'll be wondering why anyone wants those functions in the first place, but if you're a Windows user and are wondering where the hell the ability to cut and paste files went - they went here. No more opening-two-windows-for-drag-and-drop. This mimics the modern Windows system of not messing with the 'cut' file until you want to paste it - i.e., it's non-destructive, you cannot accidentally delete a file using it etc.

Cinch: Enables Windows 7's Aero Snap feature, where dragging windows to the left, right and top of your screen will resize them to left half, right half, and fullscreen respectively.

Both are about a fiver (though both have limited freeware versions), which is pretty pricey for such basic features, but without them I really can't get along effectively.
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 21:39   #104
lightly_carbonated
What's a Dremel?

lightly_carbonated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Had a quick scan through and couldn't see these two.

MacVim - A port of the Vim, an incredibly powerful text editor, to OS X. An essential part of my day to day life. I've written a thesis and several published papers and god knows how many lines of code in vim over the years.

Size Up - A great piece of software that enables shortcuts to arrange applications on the screen. Similar to cinch (which I have never really had a look at) with the ability to set different window sizes and margins for applications.
lightly_carbonated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2011, 20:58   #105
Jeseus
Banned

Jeseus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
vlc player

I recommend the VLC player, I think it works better than iTunes when it comes to play videos. It's very light.
Jeseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2011, 20:25   #106
Jaybles
Hypermodder

Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
CodeBox, Browsers and RSS

CodeBox
Top notch simple editor for multiple different languages.

Using Safari at the moment will be transferring to Google Chrome when i do a format and reinstall soon.

As far as RSS feeds go i use Gruml at the moment because i hated NetNewsWire's interface, however Gruml is a bit buggy. :/
Jaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2011, 12:27   #107
star-shell
Minimodder

star-shell has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For those who don't know, Steam is offering Mac platform games. Though I'm not sure how many percentage games are compatible.
star-shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2011, 20:52   #108
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've been changing all my dock icons today, but when I came to the finder icon it gave me a lot of grief trying to figure out how to change it, so I grabbed CandyBar and LiteIcon.

I also used TuneUp to fix thousands of badly named MP3's and Dupin to fix duplicates within iTunes.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2011, 18:19   #109
N17 dizzi
Mod Amateur

N17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apologies for not reading the entire thread but could someone point me to the thread mentioned by the OP - Windows must have software?

Edit: found

Last edited by N17 dizzi; 24th Apr 2011 at 16:38. Reason: add
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2012, 21:19   #110
chewbaccas_nan
Hypermodder

chewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for president
prey - free theft app which can transmit a signal so you can pin point where it is if stolen, also can transmit an alarm
chewbaccas_nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2012, 06:32   #111
petersampsons
What's a Dremel?

petersampsons has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good collection of free software. I think VLC media player is must for computer users. It's simply best multi-format player.
petersampsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2012, 06:27   #112
Warner0001
What's a Dremel?

Warner0001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think you may need a high quality dvd slideshow software for your Mac like the Fantashow in my blog:http://dvdslideshow.net with 30-day free trial, which can achieve pictures, music and videos combining into one disc.
Warner0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 14:09   #113
farzyk
What's a Dremel?

farzyk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver View Post
I'm not sure if these have already been posted, but they're new to me and crucial to EVERYONE:

moveAddict: This is a fairly simple bit of software that enables Cut, Paste and Folder Merge commands for Finder. If you're a lifelong apple Mac user I daresay you'll be wondering why anyone wants those functions in the first place, but if you're a Windows user and are wondering where the hell the ability to cut and paste files went - they went here. No more opening-two-windows-for-drag-and-drop. This mimics the modern Windows system of not messing with the 'cut' file until you want to paste it - i.e., it's non-destructive, you cannot accidentally delete a file using it etc.

Cinch: Enables Windows 7's Aero Snap feature, where dragging windows to the left, right and top of your screen will resize them to left half, right half, and fullscreen respectively.

Both are about a fiver (though both have limited freeware versions), which is pretty pricey for such basic features, but without them I really can't get along effectively.
HI. you mean general fullscreen, including laptops ?
farzyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 02:50   #114
Kodongo
Multimodder

Kodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run Crysis
I would recommend Size Up as the most useful app on my laptop. When I switched from an Acer lappy to an MacBook Pro, I was dying for better window management. I was so accustomed to DisplayFusion and Windows AeroSnap and OS X was streets behind in this regard. Size Up has made life so much easier. This is my current layout:

I simply choose a two button combination of Command, Option or Control with my left hand and one of the keys in the lower right hand side of the keyboard and I can manipulate windows easily to my heart's content.

If I used a mouse with the laptop, I would also consider Cinch.
Kodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 08:31   #115
chewbaccas_nan
Hypermodder

chewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for presidentchewbaccas_nan should be considered for president
Prey is good for if your macbook gets nicked, it pin points where it is. Also Sophos anti virus is also worth downloading - just incase!
chewbaccas_nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2012, 16:22   #116
JimmyTheTrumpet
What's a Dremel?

JimmyTheTrumpet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Remote Desktop via RDP

Couldn't get by on my mac without access to my windows servers. I used Remote Desktop Connection for Mac from Microsoft (free) at first, but now I swear by CoRD (free).
JimmyTheTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2012, 16:29   #117
JimmyTheTrumpet
What's a Dremel?

JimmyTheTrumpet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Programming editors

Kod
Still in its early stages of development, but there looks to be a lot of potential.

TextWrangler
My go-to programming editor, which I use every day and would be lost without. Syntax highlighting for all common languages and is very stable.
JimmyTheTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2012, 13:41   #118
CraigWatson
Level Chuck Norris

CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CraigWatson is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheTrumpet View Post
Couldn't get by on my mac without access to my windows servers. I used Remote Desktop Connection for Mac from Microsoft (free) at first, but now I swear by CoRD (free).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheTrumpet View Post
TextWrangler
My go-to programming editor, which I use every day and would be lost without. Syntax highlighting for all common languages and is very stable.

+1,000 to these, CoRD and TextWranger are awesome!
CraigWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 16:25   #119
lcdguy
Mod Master

lcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremellcdguy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
got my first mac last week here is what i have running on it. Some free, Some not so much.

adium
sophos antivirus
Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5
Filezilla
VLC
Burn
Steam
Final Cut Pro X Trial
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 Trial
Crossover XI (Trial)
Timemachine Scheduler
macports
Old 28th Aug 2012, 18:28   #120
zatanna
Multimodder

zatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremelzatanna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if not already mentioned, techsmith stuff.

i use jing (free & easy screen capture tool) and camtasia studio (not free, but fairly straightforward, bug-free video editing).
zatanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple