1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Down to one folding machine for heatwave

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 24 Jul 2012.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm sure most of you are seeing something similar, however you cool your systems..

I stopped folding on my Llano system a few days ago as it only earns around 4000 ppd - I'm using that for bitcoin mining now :) My 2700K and 3930K are both cooled by a single water chiller, which is great when it's cooler as it helps with the eheating bills. Unfortunately, as temps go up, the ambient temps used to remove heat go up, and it takes longer to chill the water. As a result, I got up today (at lunchtime!) and my sitting room was at 34C! As a result, until it cools again, I will only be folding on the 3930K.

I hope to get a more powerful chiller in a few months, and will be slowly building a 4P machine. Will need to build a cabinet outside for the new chiller, or I will expect temps of 35C in the winter :)

2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

If it gets any hotter I will have to throttle my 3930K folder down a bit.

Core temp at about 70 DegC yesterday (don't want it any higher).

3. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

I`ve just stopped folding on my graphics cards because they are heating up the house. Also the hotter it gets the louder the fans get. The CPU on its own doesn`t put out much heat.

Stay Cool

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Heat was one of the reasons I went down the 4P route before the summer, basically so that I could pull all the GPU's from Folding - well, heat and the cost of the electricity the GPU's consumed. Got some further rig consolidation to do next week (basically taking two machines out) - so looking forward to a significant (I can always hope ...) electricity bill next quarter :D

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I've had to shut down my SR-2 this week, not because it was overheating, in fact it was quite happy sat there with the hottest core at 65 degrees but it single-handedly heated my home office up to such a degree I couldn't work in there for more than 5 minutes without thinking I was sat in a sauna :( The radiators were pumping out heat like a hand-dryer lol

Will see if I can find it a new home downstairs somewhere without the Mrs giving me abuse as the SR-2 in a full size tower case isn't exactly inconspicuous lol

6. PC_Rich

PC_Rich What's a Dremel?

I found that when the house was overheating it was more efficient to turn machines down rather than off. A 700MHz overclock added 30 degrees to my CPU temps which eventually got dumped back into the room, heating up the ambient and making the cooler even less efficient when the air was recycled. It was far more thermally efficient to keep all machines running at stock speeds rather than shut some of them off completely.

Stock speed - 3.5GHz = 50 degrees
    OC’d - 4.2GHz = 80 degrees

Multiple that by three machines and you get: -
    Stock speed - 10.5GHz = 150 degrees
    OC’d - 12.6GHz = 240 degrees

Limit the heat output: -
    Stock speed – 3 machines - 10.5GHz = 150 degrees
    OC’d – 2 machines - 8.4GHz = 160 degrees

So stock speeds gave me more MHz for the same heat generated, made the house more tolerable and stressed the hardware less.

I think most people here are Folding on SMP anyway but it goes without saying that graphics cards suck up a lot more power and subsequently produce a lot more heat so if you’re Folding on both CPU and GPU disabling the GPU client would be a great first step to cooler running.

7. big-bert

big-bert What's a Dremel?

Hi debs3759, its seems that scorpuk, you and I are pretty much just trading places every update. For your ppd, are you only currently folding on a single 3930k? Reason i'm asking is that i was hoping to get a 3930k built. Currently, my ppd consist of a 2600k @ 4.2, a 2700k @ 4.5 both folding 24/7, a 580 and 560 ti running 12 hours from evening to morning.

What work units do you currently get with the 3930k and the TPF?

8. DocJonz

@big-bert: I have a 3930K @4.2 and it is currently doing 43k PPD on a P7504 (under Win7 & v6.34) - you can monitor what WU's it picks up in my sig.

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Doc... I would just love to see some photos of your setup :) Especially if it is all at home.

10. DocJonz

Yep - it's all at home .... scattered all around the house to spread the heat load!!
    I'll see what I can do photowise ....

11. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I second that. :)

12. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Sweet mother of god. Just saw I got wu P10085 and getting 51k on stock speeds for my i7-3930k. :jawdrop:

Sadly had to turn off i7-2600k as it hit 84 deg C. Damn no deg symbol on iPad :|

13. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

when i fired up the 920 yesterday it picked up p10090 ppd 32k :eek: but its got p7083 11k ppd now :(

what cooler have you got on the 2600k Scorpuk?

ive just got a corsair H80 off the market place for £40 and its dropped the temp by 10c on the Q6600 :eek: que more OC'ing :D

third to the Doc's pictures :D

14. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Sound like the motion has been carried Doc :thumb::D:thumb:

15. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Oh I do look forward to winter coming, then the rigs can get all fired up again and the central heating turned off. Its amazing how it is only marginally more expensive than burning gas all the time to just heat the house with PC's.

16. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

17. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm currently folding on just the 3930K and a GTX670. As the temps have dropped again, I'll be restarting on the 2700K when I'm home on Friday.

The 3930K is typically giving me between 40K and 50K (depending on project), with V7 under Windows. I'll be looking into using Linux soon, but sure if I can use the GPU under Linux. I'll look through my logs and figure out what TPF and ppd I get for different projects at the weekend.

18. big-bert

Hi debs, i just got the 3930k, doing the build right now. Hope to be up and running in a few hours. My target is to oc it to 4.2 using the asus RIVE and a H100. I hope everything goes well. If i get this finished, i'll be folding with a 3930k, and 2600k. Just going out later to get a cooler for the 2700k. Hopefully i will only be folding smp on 3 machines.

19. big-bert

Oops, forgot to thank you doc, your post was the final push that i needed to get the 3930k. Heres a shot of it.

[​IMG]

20. DocJonz

Excellent!