1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Media Streaming - replace my xbox!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 25 Jul 2013.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

At the moment I watch a lot of downloaded content and films etc that are stored on my PC.

I usually use my old Xbox360 which is connect to the TV in my living room to do this.

Both are connect to the home network by ethernet cable and homeplugs (I don't even want to try wireless streaming so don't go there!)

I realised last night that I hasn't used the DVD drive on my xbox360 for years, and that I don't even own a single game for it! So why am I using this antiquated, noisy and large box as a media streamer??

Time for a replacement!

My automatic thoughts were of WDTV vs Roku, both of which stream content, have decent codecs for xvids and have ethernet connections.

Chromecast looks good (and cheap), but the lack of ethernet makes it a no for me.

Then I discovered how far XBMC has come these days! The idea of being able to stream key sporting events from channels around the world is a huge appeal to me!

So ideally I want a streaming box for content on my PC, with an ethernet cable, no fan, that can be flashed to run XBMC (or already runs it), and hopefully is priced quite reasonable like the Roku or WDTV at around £50.

Recommendations? Experience?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That low price is next to impossible unless you find someone selling their old Atom+ION boxes.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...l-qs77-c847-11ghz-2xhdmi-ddr3-sodimm-5xusb-20
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...-204-pin-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v
    + as storage for system something like http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb...mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-175mb-s-45000-io or USB flash running OpenELEC (it needs only 2GB AFAIK)

If no fan version is required, then buy just the board, plus a passive case :
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...ntel-celeron-847-(11ghz)-ddr3-so-dimm-hdmi-uc
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akas...case-and-vesa-mounting-with-65w-power-adapter

But it's nowhere near £50, that is just impossible with new hardware.

While you could try using Raspberry Pi (with the licence keys for MPEG2 and VC-1), i don't think you will find the experience satisfactory.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I was less planning on building an HTPC (which will of course cost more) and more hoping ot find something along the lines of a Roku or WDTV (which are both sub £50), that can be flashed to use XMBC.

Storage is a non issue as it's just a streaming device taking media direct from my PC via network.

4. faugusztin

There is nothing to flash :
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Installing
    1) Android - unfortunately hardware acceleration is still work in progress, so i would just forget Android stuff for now.
    2) iOS - Apple TV 3 cannot be jailbreaked, that means no XBMC. Apple TV 2 was only 720p and it is next to impossible to find one. Plus the speed was similar to the Pi (=slow).
    3) Linux, OS X, Windows = HTPC, you don't want that.
    4) OUYA = good luck getting one, plus it is probably similar to Android status
    5) Pi = slow.

In short = XBMC for now equals HTPC or slow performance (software accelerated Android or OUYA, Pi, ATV2).

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

http://www.ebuyer.com/500386-acer-revo-rl70-nettop-pc-dt-smgek-014
    this would be better for a HTPC especially if you like a little gaming (facebook, older games and emulators) It can just about SC2 with fast ram.

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

I'm have very little knowledge in this area, but a friend has mentioned using a Roku + Plex? from the sounds of it Plex is very similar to XBMC?

Thoughts?

7. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I have plex on my samsung tv and it works quiet well and is easy to use.

Please note that you must run the Plex media server on your pc/mac/nas for it to work.

There are several versions for multiple devices.

http://plexapp.com/roku/

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Sounds like the simple, cheap and cheerful solution I'm after!

At the moment I tend to have my PC on, which has all the content on it, which streams via ethernet/homeplugs, to my xbox360, which I want to replace.

So "PC > homeplugs > Xbox360"
    I can just replace with "PC > homeplugs > Roku+plex"

Really this system will just spend most of it's time watching xvid movies and tv episodes, so should manage those just fine?

9. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Yeah just replace the xbox with roku & plex and install plex media server on your pc.

There are really good guides for installs on the plex forum, just select your device and go :thumbup:
    Have a read on there as some devices are easier to install on than others, as for xvid etc yeah easy.

MiNiMaL_FuSS likes this.
  10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

that'll do me +rep

anyone want an xbox?

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Been using XBMC for years now, but something caught my attention the other day and I had to try it. CEC feature of the HDMI interface isn't supported by everything yet, but my TV being a Samsung with Anynet+ does support CEC.

My raspberry pi also supports CEC, so a quick re-purpose and flash Raspbmc on to it, I can now use my TV's remote control to control XBMC natively :)

More info here to enable CEC on machines that have HDMI but no CEC support.

I've tried what feels like a million HTPC remote's and not one of them has felt fit for purpose until I used my TV remote with CEC. Happy days.

12. faugusztin

@Burnout21: I use my AV Receiver remote for that because of the source switching and http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx for my HTPC to be able to handle CEC remote...

And actually, i am a bit angry at the guys who came up with the CEC, that they didn't do a proper job.

What CEC fails at is source switching at remote systems.

You might ask what is he talking about, then imagine my situation. PC and other HDMI devices connected to the Yamaha AV Receiver, which is then connected to the 2012 Panasonic TV (with audio return channel).
    a) if i use the TV remote, i can switch between TV sources - which in my case is HDMI2 (the port to which the AVR is connected) and TV (the DVB-C tuner in the TV). Switching to the TV input correctly switches on my AVR if it is off, and switches to the TV profile (unused fake AV4 input to receive the ARC sound). All nice so far. But if i want to watch other sources from the AVR, i can switch to HDMI2 to see the AVR output, but can't switch the AVR input via the TV remote. So i need to walk to the AVR to switch the input, or use the AVR remote.
    b) if i use the AVR remote, technically i wouldn't be able to switch between the TV and AVR on the TV side. I could switch to the fake TV sound input at AV4, but that doesn't switch the TV input on the TV side. So i would have to use the TV remote for that; thankfully Yamaha has few extra programmable keys at the bottom for the TV, which can do few limited functions (On/Off, Ch+, Ch-, Vol+, Vol-, Mute). But for any advanced features like Vieralink, apps or channel configuration i have to use the original Panasonic remote again).

So for now i settled to the AVR remote, but it is not perfect. I own a Harmony One too, but that remote is just slow...

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I get what you mean, source selection should be bi-directional, however you've got a complex setup compared to me.

At least we've got CEC, before it was a pile of remote's on the coffee table!

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

15. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Sorry to thread jump but interested in the CEC for my own htpc. Just had a quick lock at their website. If I'm reading this correctly, the CEC sits between my tv and htpc and allows me to control XBMC on the htpc using my (Samsung ue46f8000) remote? sounds good. Does anyone else have any hands on experience of this?
    On topic, just using plex for the GF as she doesn't get on well with my XBMC setup. She uses the app on the tv and I've set up some Libraries for her programs on the Nas. Seems to work well so far.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Depending on the OS you're using you might need to install libCEC, but otherwise it's a simply connect HDMI and USB and away you go, simples mmk :)

Ferino likes this.
  17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

that new google kit was the first thing to come to mind when I read the OP

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I didn't think the new google thing was aimed at streaming content from a pc, but more from online sources? (via the pc)

19. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Correct. And it's wireless only so will probably be poor.

20. Ferino

Ferino Minimodder

Win 7 pro with xbmc 12. But got a Win8 key if thats better.
    If this adapter goes usb from the pc to adapter then hdmi from adapter to tv does it still keep the same aduio/visual quality and support 1.4 and above?
    Cheers for the quick feedback, +rep to you sir.