1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK's first open access fibre network showcased

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I'd definitely pay for such a service. As internet speeds go, 90% of the UK is still in the dark ages. Fibre optics is certainly the answer.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Curious how Portugal is ahead of the UK on the matter. We've had public Fibre for around a year or two. We have VoIP, IPTV and Internet on Fibre for around 55€. Just a week ago an Internet and Phone package was released here also for just 35€.

4. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

We've had fiber in Ireland for almost 4 years now, and the basic package is around the €35 a month with a 2meg line, IPTV and voip also. Come on UK, catch up now.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As cool as that would be, I doubt my aging laptop could even cope with 100Mbps!

6. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

This is the way to go; none of that Virgin Media rubbish (not fibre optic broadband, despite what they say). Bring it to Leeds chaps!

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

A conservative MP grumbled the other week because Labour put forward a plan to tax people £6 a year to help speed up the roll out of faster broadband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8270772.stm

That's why we are a backward country chasing the tails of everyone else. Still, at least the tory MP made himself a name eh.

8. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

I think I used to pay something like £50 a month for ISDN...

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Just need to get a sewer at home now!
    Still, nice if you can get it and are on mains sewage but it will still be leaving a lot of the countryside out.

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

It saddens me the current state of broadband in the UK - I'm so incredibly jealous of people that can get anything over 2Mbit. BT recently crippled my connection speed to 256Kbps - which is beyond a freaking joke. I read recently that they are trialing BET (Broadband enabling technology) in my county, which I doubt I'll be a part of - when emailing Openreach to find out what part of my county would be lucky enough to receive the 2Mbit they're going to be trialing they told me they couldn't give me that information and that I should speak to my ISP - what will Sky know?

This should have happened YEARS ago!

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Using the current ratio between what I'm paying for and what I'm getting, if they promise 100mbit, we should get maybe 25.

I should theoretically be on an 8 megabit link right now but back down here on Earth I only ever see 2 - and I'm not even a mile and a half from the exchange. God knows what it's like out in the sticks. When I complained about this they told me I should upgrade my router to one supporting a more recent ADSL revision, for christ's sake...

12. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Oooh so close. I live just down the coast in Southampton, hopefully it'll come here soon. Not that I have much to complain about at the moment. My ISP is Be and depending on the time of day I get between 2Mbit and 16Mbit.

13. Jack_Pepsi

If God's up there I'd expect God to be pissed off like I am. 256Kbps, 25freaking6Kbps!

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

lol i remember they had that in an internet cafe i used to work in and if i remember correctly the fastest isdn option was only twice the speed of regular dial up ! that was only about 10 years ago i think ! thank smeg for progress and moors law.

15. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Did you read the article?

You're using ADSL as the basis for how Fibre optic broadband will behave.

The article said "straight to the home connections" that means 100Mb.

16. Darth_yoda

Darth_yoda What's a Dremel?

I actually live in Bournemouth and hopfully we are getting the fibre cable fitted in the next two weeks or so. The best thing about this is that to get the fibre installed costs nothing to the home owner and when installed are under no obligation to actually use the fibre service if the costs are too high.

17. Darth_yoda

Darth_yoda What's a Dremel?

@Keylew... yea you are right they are saying that this is completely different to the normal FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) the fibre line goes directly to the home rather than having any sort of slowdown due to copper wires from home to the exchange.

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

We've had 512K for a few years now, but according to anyone you phone up the maximum our line can support is 256K, and I know people further away with more than that so you may find they are lying.
    The router thinks we should be able to get more like 1.8Mbps...

19. Jack_Pepsi

See, I used to get a nice stable 1Mbit (after having 512Kbps for a few years before) with just an odd ping of 100+ still, I was happy with it being stable. BT, without informing me, decide it's not stable and I'll be very lucky if my connection can handle anything higher than 256 so, I'm lucky if I connect at over 200Kbps.

This is why I really hope I'm included in this BET programme BT are trialing. Really freaking hope so, there really isn't any excuse for such a lack in preparing for fibre. Why not get the fibre down when they dig the freaking roads up for new waterpipes?

>.<

20. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I'd pay 50 quid a month, maybe upto 80 if the service is unlimited and you actually get 100 up and down.

Tags: Add Tags