1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 4 Jun 2012.

1. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Why are full screen 'surprise!' adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Simple question. No doubt will be answered by waffle, lies, half truths, and plain ol' bull sh*t...

2. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

I'm damned if I give an answer here and damned if I don't I suspect. As always, can you do me a screengrab of any full screen, non-skippable ads that appear.

Thanks

Simon

3. greypilgers

Hi Simon,

I've taken a screen grab of the advert, but I can't seem to attach it to the post as it only asks for a URL...?

4. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Upload it to something like http://imageshack.us/ :)

5. greypilgers

I'd love to, if I could be bothered to go around uploading stuff to third party sites just to show a company their own adverts when I complain about them. You used to be able to upload direct from pictures locally...?

6. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Fair point.

I've never done this, but maybe this will work?

1) Create an album: http://forums.bit-tech.net/album.php?do=addalbum

2) Once created, click the "Click here to upload pictures!" link

3) Upload then go back into the album to get the link

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Look in your 'User CP' there's an option for uploading pictures around there somewhere.

Sam

8. greypilgers

Full screen advert screen grab here. I'm not sure what's worse... The fact there's still more full screen adverts interrupting our user experience, or the fact that they now look so $hitty and half-ar$ed!?!?!?!

:wallbash:

[​IMG]

Edit - posted the link from the screen grab i put in my forum album, but it doesnt seem to be showing on my view... Perhaps the forum is too embarassed by the awfully presented advert to let it be printed here!

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2012
  9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No, you just posted the wrong image linking code (click on the image in your album, then copy the BB code listed below and paste it in here).

If you want people to adress your complaint you have to show a modicum of cooperation, and that includes being prepared to upload a screen grab of the offending advert. There is no other way to post images in any forum than as a URL link in IMG tags.

Also, I'm not sure what you expect Simon to say. He has no control over this stuff and he is not kept in the picture much more than we are.

10. greypilgers

Thanks for the assist Nexxo. Although taking your post the logical next step further, there really is no point in any of us making any kind of comment about advertising or similar changes to BT, as, as you point out, the editorial team have no power to effect change to this in any way whatsoever...?

:naughty:

However, if we really really really really must have silly full screen adverts, please would the powers that be make them a bit better than this. It looks like something I'VE made...

11. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Looks like a poorly coded advertisement, like something wasn't coded properly, got put into the advertisement loop, and devours the website.

Either way, there are extensions made for some browsers that take care of all ad related issues.

I personally haven't had any popup ads on this site before. Just the normal banner ads. Maybe you have some adware on your PC? Unless you've scanned it recently, might be something to rule out.

12. greypilgers

Good thought, but I scan regularly, and only ever encounter this advertisment on Bit-Tech and only about half a minute after opening an article on here - which correlates with previous adverts from Bit-Tech.

I don't run any type of ad-blocker or anything that would prevent normal, well-thought out advertising from taking place because, contrary to what some may think, I actually don't mind normal, well-thought out advertising. I just have a strong dislike for lazy advertising that imposes itself in a way that is harmful to the user experience. I would expect those being paid to conduct the advertising campaigns to be a little more intelligent. I may not have the answers but it certainly can be done if people put their minds to it.

Case in point - I invite you to google 'McDonalds' 'Poppies' and 'Ad Campaign'. An ingeniously crafted piece of advertising. Whatever your opinion of it, the advertising worker who came up with this demonstrated clear and fresh thinking.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I agree that all full-screen adverts should be like the new Hitman trailer: vacuous rubbish should at least look mildly entertaining. You just can't have enough scantily PVC-clad nuns in 6-inch heels toting big guns.

Guinevere likes this.
  14. greypilgers

Ha ha ha! Love it...

:D

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

there is enough space around the edges of the articles for advertising, full screen adverts that pop up, whilst you're in the middle of reading something are annoying f*cking stop it, didn't you learn after last time

16. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

I just got this whilst clicking onto an article. Upshot was, I didn't click the advert and I didn't read the article. I just closed the page.

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Same here, and that's with ad and flash block still enabled. I never pictured a site like Bit Tech using this sort of ad. I'm not impressed.

18. greypilgers

It is rather bemusing that not only are we facing the latest and greatest full screen advert from those wonderful chaps at Dennis marketing, but also that the attempts at presentation appear to be completely overlooked now. At least the eBay full-screen ad looked like someone had been paid to make it... This one looks like it was done by someone whilst on the crapper...

;)

19. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Same here

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I wish that the forum was free from the "review" side of things, it could be self funded with donations and maybe a 5% tax on marketplace sales.