1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS warns over Xbox One backwards compatibility hoax

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Dec 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Silenced by the Console Faction.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2013
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

In the interests of not descending into another flame war, I redacted your post. Not cool.

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Nobody pays any attention to him anyway.

5. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

Not as good as iOS7 will make your iPhone waterproof. That was hilarious.

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Things like this are only funny to idiots. This could cost a lot of families a lot of money. Obviously a dash of common sense is all it takes to realise this is a load of rubbish. With the use of the Xbox One logo a 10 year old could think this is an official step by step guide from MS and brick their console.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Not surprising this has happened when so many people are really ****** off that they can't play their old games but most xbone users (or PS4 users) won't know or care that the reason games are not backward compatible is because the old and new consoles use a different architecture, but at least both consoles should benefit from games being developed faster as the new architecture is much more PC based and maybe us PC gamers will also benefit from titles that were previously console exclusives.

No sooner I said the above than I see Tomb Raider 2013 is getting a polish and heading to the Playstation 4 and Xbox One early next year!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
  8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Now we just wait for the amount of people that have already done it...

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I never saw the inability to play the previous generations games a major issue. Most buy the next generation consoles to play the next generation games and not take a step backwards. As the prices for the previous generation resell values have plummeted, it's probably best to take up Bit-Tech's advice and just connect the two consoles together if you really want to play that one game.

10. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

For me this was a major issue. I am not going to fork out the cash required for a new console, only for it to sit idle while I play on the old one. There are lots of both Xbox 360 and ps3 games that I play that I will be playing going forward eg. Singstar on my ps3 and skyrim and halo on the Xbox. An Xbox one would see very limited use therefore I will be waiting till it has a more affordable catalogue of games is available, and just for the record I purchased the 60gb ps3 that had hardware backwards compatibility (baldurs gate dark alliance and champions of norrath are 2 of the games I still play on there from the ps2)

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So as Bit-tech recommends, "If you want to play Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One, there's only one foolproof method: connect your Xbox 360 to the Xbox One's HDMI input"

Like with both new consoles, advertised or rumoured features are delayed or being rethought as we speak. It may not be an issue in six months.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You of course wouldn't want to do this as your main way of gaming on 360 due to input lag taking that route.

13. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I've not played on a console for a few years so just how would that work, could you then use the xbone controller, would it upscale the game, could you then play online, what's the point of doing it that way rather than just HDMI to your TV :confused:

14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

So, i guess the first part of the sentence explains it. "If you want to play Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One"

Else just play them on your Xbox 360 connected directly to your TV. The controller i doubt works with the original xbox one.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Umbra, you'd simply be playing the game on your Xbox 360 as per usual, but the video output would be routed through your Xbox One. The only reason you'd ever want to even consider doing this would be if your TV only had one video input available.

16. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Maybe MS should have included an HDMI splitter with the xbone, better than having your new xbone fired up to play old games on.

[​IMG]
    MS say "We solved the problem, with our high tech solution you can still play your old games even with with your new xbone connected!":lol:

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Not having backwards compatible gaming stalls buyers, especially those with large libraries of PS3 or 360 games, at least until there are more games to play on the new consoles.

For me, I'd like to remove my current console and replace with a new one (assuming new one does media streaming, plays CD's and used games) having to keep one to play the majority of games I play on the console would be a PITA...so I wait for the features I need to be available and the gaming libraries to be sufficiently large enough for me to be able to ditch the old one completely.

Dev's should take note that even re-releasing face lifted older games on new consoles would (I assume) be a relatively cheap money spinner?

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The people falling for this lack the ability to pay any attention :/

Ms and Sony explained it several times. The hardware specs were found way ahead of time. The architecture differences were obvious from way back.

I kinda feel like anyone willing to do it deserved it. Although there's got to be a way around the 'bricking'.

19. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I believe backwards compatibility is bad for the gaming industry as a whole. Yes, it enables you to continue playing your old games while letting you sell the old console and whatever games you no longer play with it but many people then choose to buy new games for the old console and still play them on the new one as often they are cheaper (minimal difference from a retailer usually though). But this strategy then slows down development of new games and the new platform as a whole. A clean cut is the best way forward in my opinion. Those with the cash upgrade to a complete new platform while selling their old consoles to those who couldn't afford them previously which then brings in a last influx of cash as those people pick up whatever titles that they have always wanted as stores start clearance sales to close off the previous generation.

On a further note I think this just goes to show how lazy a lot of people are that they are more willing to void their warranties (which is definite regardless of risk of bricking) than to be bothered to get up once in a while, walk 5 yards and switch cables in their TV should they need to.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

While rather annoying (the PS4 has ample power to emulate the PSX entirely in software, and could likely handle PS2 games at their native resolution), backwards compatibility in consoles is more the exception than the rule:
    SNES could not play NES, N64 could not play SNES, GC could not play N64, Wii could play GC, but the WiiU cannot (but can play Wii games).
    MegaDrive could play SMS (but only with an additional adapter), Saturn could not play MegaDrive.
    PS2 could play PSX, PS3 could not (except for a subset of the launch consoles in two countries) play PS2, and PS4 cannot play PS3.
    360 could play a random selection of XBOX games, and One cannot play 360.

4-and-a-bit out of 12, at a very rough count.