1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Office Chair Mat

Discussion in 'General' started by TrevDX, 11 Aug 2014.

1. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Hi,

I'm getting a new carpet installed within the next few weeks and need to get a hard plastic mat to go under the chair at my computer, does anyone have any recommendations?

I know from work that some of them are rather poo and don't grip the minimal carpets we have at work so grip is high on my list of needs.

Thanks in advance, Trev.

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

you could always look into those grippy sheets they sell for car boots that are made of neoprene or w/e then put what ever plastic over the top.

I suggest that as at my parents house my dad has one of these plastic sheets with grip spikes on the bottom under his bike machine and i think it looks and is horrid, though i think its cheap as hell, Check stores that sell office chairs and stuff

TrevDX likes this.
  3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Go to your office supply store. They come in varying thicknesses. The thin, flexible ones are quite rubbish really. You can get some heavy duty (rigid) ones with either gripping pegs or with a smooth almost tacky finish which prevents slipping on the carpet. I've had both and each worked well and lasted ages. Yes they don't look the best, but hey, it's under your desk and protecting your carpet right?

EDIT: after re-reading your post the smoother option might be what you are looking for. They actually come with a carpet thickness rating and have gripping mechanisms of appropriate size. As you know what the thickness of the carpet you are laying is you should be able to find the right option for you.

TrevDX likes this.
  4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I got mine from staples.

TrevDX likes this.
  5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

TrevDX likes this.
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I have a Floortex polycarbonate one similar to this: http://www.staples.co.uk/1200-x-900mm-rectangular-polycarbonate-chair-mat-carpet/cbs/400423.html

I really like it. It much more rigid than I expected it to be. Basically like a big sheet of polycarbonate with a slightly textured top and carpet grippers on the bottom.

My really heavy chair with quite a heavy me on it moves really nicely. Without it it would hardly move at all.

Theoretically being polycarbonate should mean it lasts quite well too. I've it about 18 months and I can't see any signs of wear or age yet.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2014
    TrevDX likes this.
  8. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

I looked at this one at lunch and seems to be the one I want, we have the stepped ones at work but in truth I don't move that much at home so this should do perfectly and all with next day delivery :)