1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Socket 1155 CPU Backplate replacement??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 15 Apr 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

On the small mobo that I have recently acquired from sonicgroove on the MP (big thanks:thumb:), there is a different backplate to usual.

[​IMG]

The 4 arms have sockets that go through the normal heatsink mounting holes for the supplied heatsink to screw down to.

This is a large and bulky heatsink for a low TDP CPU.

Could I undo the 3 retaining screws and swap the plate for the more usual smaller sort of backplate?

If so, where would I get one? A scrap 1155 mobo I guess, if the mounting screws are standard.

I was then hoping that the 4 holes are the standard Intel push pin holes that will take any 115x cooler...

Last edited: 29 Apr 2016
  2. Arboreal

No one?
    I'll try to post better pics if that helps to explain the situation

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Yeah you should be able to swap it without issue. All the holes should be standard spacing so you'd just need to find a junk board for the transplant.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not the case dude. There are sometimes small resistors and things in the way that you would crush by changing the plates.

I would check the board visibly first to see if there is anything in the way.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I doubt there's anything under that plate. It seems to be touching the board so as long as the new plate doesn't touch the bits in the middle he should be fine.

To OP you could just cut the four arms off the plate already there.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would do the latter personally. There are things under there chap, things like solder contacts and so on.

I had a board very similar to this a few years back (out of a HP) and it had a strange back plate. When I tried to fit a standard one I found out there was a cut out in the HP one to allow for two solder points. I had to cut the standard back plate so that it didn't short.

It may go on there without any issues at all (looks like he has found one too) but I am just saying have a bloody good scan over the board before you fit anything else to it 'cause as we all know companies like HP do like doing things their own way :)

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've managed to source one for him for free, so we can give it a go. We can always insulate it. :D

8. Arboreal

Thank you V-T and noize for all your input.
    I did have a suspicion that there may be components underneath, so will proceed with care - otherwise it may be a new H61 board on the shopping list.
    TMDD - that's a brilliant find, just what I was hoping for, and no need to but a scrap board.
    I'll fire up the beer tokens.

Watch this space, I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll also post pics showing the standard cooler, which is way too big for a 35W TD CPU IMHO