1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards What's the current low-down on H170 overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 25 Jul 2016.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I know Intel has been cracking down on this and the information out there is a little muddy. I'd like to get away with H170 and perhaps a non-K i5 processor if at all possible. I'm only looking for a modest 4 ghz, anything past that is gravy, especially as I'm planning to go ITX or micro ATX where power phases seem to be pretty limited. Is there still something I can do in this regard? Not scared to try companies like Biostar, ASRock or even Supermicro, but with the theme of my build I'd like to keep the price on the low side.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2016
  2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, I've tried to dig into this once or twice over the past few days and ASRock with their older BIOSes seems to be the ticket. Unfortunately I couldn't get on the page with their list of motherboards that's supposed to be able to do this, not even with the Way Back Machine.

Right now I'm looking to pick up either the ASRock H170M ITX/AC or the Z170 equivalent if the H BIOS never had that overclockability, with hopefully an i5 6400.

It would save me a pretty penny but I'm absolutely starved for information so I can't really commit yet.

Might even be tempted to look at H110, but I don't know if DMI2 vs DMI3 is going to be any kind of a bottleneck for me and OC support seems highly doubtful.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2016
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

Most mobo manufactures got forced to lock it down again from Intel. You need a board that will 100% rollback and they are rare. ASRock do not install these bios by default and you would need to take the risk of bricking the board by trying this.

Supermicro is your best bet for this.