1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming EYE: Divine Cybermancy Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Aug 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I think I just got brain cancer trying to understand that.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

lol... I think I have it to :D

4. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Dammit, these kind of reviews make me WANT to play the game. Its almost like I want to put myself through the same torture, just to understand it....

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

So....some people will like it and some won't....how unusual.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The trailer on steam made the game look interesting, It does look like a case of trying to fit far too many things in though.

7. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine recommended the game on steam, so I decided to buy it. I can honestly say I'm loving it.
    After a lot of dicking around, trying to get co-op to work, I managed to work it this afternoon, then spent the next 3 hours having a blast as 2 friends and 5 random people joined. The game turned into a somewhat literal riot at that stage. Speaking of the co-op, it's fairly decent and ads a lot of fun to the game when you play with friends.
    I found the visual style to be pretty lacking at first, but it grew on me after an hour or two. something about it, combined with the haunting soundtrack just seemed to make sense, as if I were gunning my way through a mostly abandoned city (which would explain the looters).
    I mentioned the game made me feel nostalgic for some strange reason and couple of the guys I was playing with likened it to UT2k4. I've shamefully never played that game, so can't speak on it's resemblance. To me though, the mixture of the eerie ambient audio, bright etherreal lighting effects cascading down the dull obsidian structures and the empty feeling of the streets on the dystopian city just fit perfectly and give the feeling that the place used to house some mundane manner of living but now is a slum for small rat like creatures, the occasional looter or bandit and the ever present government forces who seek to control the place.

8. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

It reminds me of Strife.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

arcticstoat likes this.
  10. Zebrastealer

Zebrastealer What's a Dremel?

Games like E.Y.E are tough to give a fair grade on, so I can understand how the reviewer can assign a low score to it. However, I don't agree with it myself and here is primarily why -
    It is frustrating, There are no shortage of bugs, some questionable design choices along with a woefully inadequate manual/tutorial with poor Dialog translations.

But, even with all those short-comings it is a blast to play. It is unique, complex, with some rare innovative game-play you simply don't see from big studios any longer. The truth is, for the price, you get a lot of gameplay out of this title, and you support a really talented team of Indie developers who will continue poring resources into making this title better (they are very vocal about fixing issues) and better yet - the next game these guys produce will be much better now that they have some money coming in to fund additional resources. I'm impressed with what they have managed to accomplish with just 10 developers.

11. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

Brilliant review, Joe. I especially liked:

"Why can I hack myself? Why have I possessed a door?"

The game sounds baffling but was fun to read about. I can imagine people writing features about the hidden glories of this game a while later, like people are doing now with Deadly Premonition.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Zero Punctuation needs to review this, it would be hilarious!

13. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

"Why can I hack myself? Why have I possessed a door?" Genius.

I'll be honest. I read the description, looked at the screenies, watched the trailers and just bought it... I loved everything about it, the FPSRPG Deus Ex influences, the shizo feel and weirdo technogothic mishmash. Haven't played it yet so I can't actually comment but the review expresses exactly what I expected, this is going to be a sort of masochistic gaming experience and there's a sick sort of enjoyment to be found there.

14. Ignatius Reilly

Ignatius Reilly What's a Dremel?

Well, I guess I'm one of those defenders, but yes, this game is way better than the reviewer gives it credit for. It's got a horrible beginning and kind of leaves you in the dark, but once you get a hang of things it's ace. (The tutorial is rubbish.) The world is a lot more unique than I expected and has an incredible atmosphere. I also have to mention the amazing soundtrack. The game play is pure gold with tons of cool abilities and upgrades to get. I particularly enjoy hacking enemy helicopters and watching them toast everything in my path. It's odd, for how derivative this game is, it some how feels very unique in presentation and game play. Anyway, I'm playing it and having tons of fun.

Burzoufs are currency in the game. I don't know how you couldn't have figured this out since everything you purchase in the game requires this. I suppose you could argue a simple "dollars" would work, but for how out there this game is, it almost makes more sense to go with something more odd.

15. Ignatius Reilly

Ignatius Reilly What's a Dremel?

You can hack yourself for when you get counter hacked by a system. It's the only way to get the giant pink smiley off your screen. :p

16. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Played about 4.5 hours of it and so far have been really enjoying it.
    The sniper rifle is over powered considering how early you get it but that's half the fun, sneaking around taking head shots left right and center.

Co-Op is also rather fun after you stuff around to get it to actually work.

Still haven't figured out alot of the research, PSI ability's, etc but I have a feeling I will be playing it long enough to figure it out.

17. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

The exception to that graph is of course The Lord of the Rings Trilogy ;)

For $20 it's almost worth trying. At least it's not $50+

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oh, I did figure it out - but it's unclear at the start, especially given that you basically seem to spend them like XP. 'Credits' would have sufficed.

19. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

This is totally a game I want to play. Something that tries something instead of some dodgy franchise push out.

20. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

That's *exactly* the same thing I thought ...

Tags: Add Tags