1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ASUS launch SilentCool Technology

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 27 Jul 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

This...looks...so...damn...retarded...

it better work well, because it is FUUUGGLY. And seriously, if that thing rotates, then the point of contact for heat transfer to that extra spreader is about worthless.

3. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Might be ugly for the eyes, but not for your ears! ;)

4. The_Pope

Dare I suggest that aesthetics aren't the end of the world Da Dego? I personally don't run a windowed system - mine lives under the desk - so I could care less what it looked like. Unfortunately, I fear you might be right about the rotating joint. However, I'm an optimist, so I trust that the engineers wouldn't balls that one up...

Having said that, I find their 40 degree celcius claim to be somewhat dubious. As an example, that would mean other silent cards running at 90C while this card ran at 50C - unlikely, given that they are both passive...

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Haha...Aesthetics? Not everything? On a MODDING forum? :) Never, Pope! :)

Really, though, you're right about that...but you still have to acknowledge that it looks pretty flippin' dumb. And I really do hope that they didn't balls up the cooler, but I have the idea that they may have bent that pooch over and given it a good round...backed by the (I dare say) ridiculous claim that it will cool a GPU by 40 degrees.

But, sounds like a good, short review for your hardware gurus!

6. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

I think they were trying to get it round that was so a fan on the window side of the case with pass air through it for cooling.

7. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i think ther are nicer coolers out there

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

The GECUBE SilenCool solution is much better looking IMHO... not sure why they need such a large cooler on a 6600 GT. :confused:

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The original wording only implies that under comparable conditions, ie, load, ambient temperature, etc, it reduces core temperature by 40˚C AFAICS. Not 40˚C more than a competing card, which would be unlikely.

Nice to see companies taking silent cooling seriously, and extending passive solutions to faster and faster components. Lots of people actually use their computers, like a minimum of noise, and don't want to have to check for water leaks every verse end. :p

10. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

LMFAO

11. The_Pope

Here is the full press release: http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=1183

where the exact wording is:
    To me, that says "if you compare this card to other cards with competing cooling technology ie other 0db solutions, this card produces GPU temperatures 40C less than those other cards."

I appreciate that it was perhaps translated from Mandarin, but I can't see any other way of interpreting that text.

In fact, the ONLY other way I can see is something really nonsensical, like "we tested a bunch of cooling solutions against no heatsink at all. The SilentCool reduced temperatures by 40C, which we compared to other competing solutions," and did not reveal the performance of the others.

Seriously, I would be suprised if anyone read the original wording as anything other than "our solution is 40C cooler than simliar solutions from our competitors".

12. The_Pope

OK, another analogy. AMD bring out a new CPU, and say:

"The the Athlon 128 processor is really fast and reduces boot time in Windows XP by 15 seconds compared with competing processor technologies."

The effectively the same wording, isn't it? And that blatently means the fictional Athlon 128 boots into XP 15 seconds faster than processors from other companies. So how does that not translate to SilentCool claiming to be 40C cooler than rival solutions?

cpemma: it seems like you are suggesting something like "The new Ford Fiesta reduces daily commute times by 30 minutes when compared with competing commuting methods." Where the benchmark commuting method is walking 3 miles each way, and selectively ignoring that a Honda Fireblade superbike would "reduce daily commute times" by maybe 55 minutes!

Tags: Add Tags