1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Samsung SW Update tool disables Windows Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Trying to think of reasons why Samsung may have thought this would be okay genuinely hurts my brain.

Is it so their desktop customers don't feel left out when they see their mobile customers waiting an extra 6 months for OS updates?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think this will become popular in the future with other manufacture with Windows 10.
    No matter if you have Home or Pro, Windows 10, will force install the latest OS update (which is fine), and also drivers. If you are using a unsigned latest beta drivers because you have an issue, then good luck using it more than a short while, because Windows Update will come and force install it on you. Same if you try to use an older driver as you want to play some old game that have performance problem with the newer driver, or there is a bug in the latest Windows update drivers which you are trying to wait out for the following drivers.. like for example, you are having sleep/wakeup issue.

They are many reasons why one would want to block updates, especially driver updates. But you can't. The best you can do, is delay for a short few days the Windows Update set of updates (as you can't pick and choose), if you have the Pro version. But after a few days.. it will force install it.

I made a user voice feedback, but I guess many people don't know about the issues that they will face, so it doesn't get much voice:
    https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

I wonder if there will be a community driven updater for those who build PC's to by-pass Windows Update system under Windows 10.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Driver updates are classed as optional updates that are NOT installed automatically, so please, stop with the FUD.

On the subject of Samsung, all I have to say is that if a driver updates breaks functionality, you're doing something seriously wrong underneath the OS and need to stop doing that crap.

The classic example were customized GPU drivers for mobile hybrid GPU laptops. but these days, nV supports it from a single mainline driver, and have done so for a while now. AMD is still catching up, but eventually they'll standardise far enough that they'll be able to have a single driver work on all machines. I hope so at least...

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

k... welll I use Windows 10... and that is not optional, like many others who complain.
    So stop the FUD

At Ignite Microsoft made it clear that ALL update will be forced installed, there is no more "optional" updates.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

GoodBytes is correct... If Windows 10 decides you need a driver update you can't not install it/them... Though I've only actually had it happen once, where it'd replace my working audio drivers with the version from WU [which didn't work], but that was a few builds ago... It remains to be seen how much of an issue this actually is/becomes in the finished article...

In this instance MS would likely argue 'well put your drivers on WU then [oh btw, we charge you for that]'...

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As others have said there is no "optional" updates with Windows 10.
    The update/testing process for Windows 10 goes like this: Fast ring, Slow ring, W10 Home, W10 Pro, and finally once all the bugs have been worked out the update is rolled out to corporate customers, Microsoft ain't stupid.

And good luck if Microsoft considers you should be running a WHQL driver what with someone like AMD not having released a WHQL driver for around 9 months, that's not intended to be critical of AMD they were just the first company that sprung to mind.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've not had this happen [yet] with GPU drivers. I guess it largely depends how WU determines if a driver needs updating or not.