1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: TEXTILE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Timsu, 9 Nov 2010.

1. Timsu

Timsu What's a Dremel?

I will be keeping project log about modding two cases a black fractal design r2 for me to gaming and white r3 to my sister. I was going to start this project about six months ago and get second black r2 and paint it white, but i was told that white one would be released shortly so i decided to wait for it, coupe days ago Fractal design sent me the white r3.

The front panel will be covered with textile. I haven't yet decided exact fabrics i'll use, but I probably use some kind of digital camo on the black one and gray or pink on the white.
    [​IMG]

Hardware: ( Update later....)

Black r2:
    Processor: > X2 550BE / i5 750
    Memory: > 4gb / 6gb
    Graphics: > 5770
    Harddrive: (ssd) + >1tb
    monitor: 37" fullhd and 24" fullhd

White r3: (Passive)
    Processor: -
    Memory: -
    Graphics: -
    Harddrive: -
    monitor: ≤24"

Photo Album

Updates:

1: Testing/ playingaround

sponsored by:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to fractal design for the Arctic White Define R3

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'm sorry but you can't wall paper a PC case:nono:

using a vinyl wrap would work, but wall paper thats just wrong!

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:eeek: Oh my daze! :nono:

That's desecration​

4. Infiniti

Infiniti i modded the wheel!

oh my days.....so wrong to wallpaper a case..... bring out bindis hammer!!!!!

5. bulldogjeff

Bindi's wall paper steamer you mean.:D:D:D:D:D:lol:

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Sorry but I cannot see it looking any good unless maybe using something like carbon fibre sheets but proof me wrong and I'll be the first to say awesome and I made a mistake

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

He is not talking about wallpaper. He is talking about textile. If he uses a good quality fabric and does it right it would work out just fine.

8. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

This does negate the need for dust filters..... There could be SOME mileage to the concept, but it does look very unorthodox....

9. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

If done properly, and I will assume that you will, you can use fibre-glass resin to coat/soak the cloth in the same way you would do with the glass cloth. I think the end result would be a highly polished finish with a 'smooth as glass' appearance. It would require a lot of work, to cut out the individual pieces of cloth and apply them, then sand and recoat to get all the clearances right, but it sounds like it could come out pretty awesome.

Nano

10. bulldogjeff

I'm still still skeptical, I seen PC's done in leather and flock and they came out quite well, but I'm not so sure about this.

11. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Why all the hate? We have seen cases crafted from granite, glass, concrete and many more in the past. Why not use textile and metal for a change? It's unorthodox alright, but the same has been said about LEDs in the past. If the right textile is used it can take far more abuse in the form of little knocks or scratches than painted metal. There's also a great choice in textures. :rolleyes:

Tbh I think the reason most of you flame this project is because you lot suck at any form of sewing and/or think of it as "girlie". You couldn't get a pc case wrapped in textile in any nice way, thus obviously nobody can get it right.

What Timsu is attempting is really difficult, but there is no reason why he should not be able to pull it off. Thanks to the lot of you we probably will not see any pictures of it though. Suggesting to ban somebody after their first post just because they have a creative idea you don't like is just low.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2010
  13. bulldogjeff

It's not flaming,it voicing an opinion. Have a look in my log I threw down an idea and asked for opinions and got my arse chewed off, I don't mind, thats what it's all about.

14. Timsu

Timsu What's a Dremel?

Why has this been moved to modding? I just came to post my first project log update

Great idea. This could work on the white one, i selected textile for the softness and matta... so i have to think about it. one the black one i was planing to do like "dirty look" and also use loose peaces of fabric hanging kind of like this [​IMG]
    .... so this wouldn't work.

Thanks. Yes the idea was to do something different and i think with textile i can do lots of stuff that with vinyl i couldn't do. What would be the point of doing anything with vinyl when there's allready million of them posted here??

15. Timsu

Timsu What's a Dremel?

1: Testing/ playingaround

Nothing final yet. at this point i'm just testing and playingaround with different ideas.

[​IMG]
    (r2 vent covers under the fabric i'll use them on the "camo r2")

http://forums.bit-tech.net/album.php?albumid=1066&pictureid=14783
    White r2 trays on r3. The black ones from the r3 will fit great on the camo theme. i tryed to take pic's but couldn't get lighting work right this time( all black interior :D)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=1066&pictureid=14782
    vents

Photo Album

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I guess we should keep our opinions to ourselves on this one. Damn I wonder why he posted here then but I guess there is no freedom of speech.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

Interesting... I am waiting to see how this one works out.

Good on you for doing something a little different, I imagine it would stop you from worrying about finger prints. I treat the door on my R3 like a new born baby to stop it marking.

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I think it's cool idea. One could even use the same fabric to make matching speakers. Like grill cloth.

I quilt and have even hand dyed fabrics to get the gradients I needed.

I watch

john

19. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

@Timsu - looks like a good start, I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Going to subscribe to this thread.

As another note, thats not a bad looking case straight out of the box. Can't see all the details in the photos, but it looks like they did a good job with all the internals and the sleek externals.

Nano

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

While the top fabric panel would need to lay flat for airflow, you could tuft the front panel, for the white case at least. Probably easiest to do by drilling holes in the panel where the 'buttons' would go, adding your foam (or other padding) & fabric to the panel, using pop rivets through some washers (the pop rivet heads on their own would probably be too small to hold the fabric down) to actually create the tufts, then glue some cosmetic buttons on top of the washers.

For the black 'ghillie suit' case, who not add strips of fabric all over it by creating a cuboid mesh cover for the case, adding the fabric strips to this, then slipping the cover over the top. Makes it easier to remove for maintenance.