1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Issue with mcp35x + sunbeam rheosmart controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abmpinoy, 18 Jan 2012.

1. abmpinoy

abmpinoy What's a Dremel?

Reference link below for martins diagram, similar to mine except I'm running 4 fans on 2 separate headers on the controller using a splitter cable each.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/04/...m-rheosmart-3/

The issue I'm having is that when plugging my mcp35x into the controllers pass-through pmw cable, the pump seems to steals the entire pwm signal away from the controller.

What happens is that the pwm fan control ,through the controller itself, via speedfan, works perfectly IF there is nothing connected to the pass through connector but if something is connected to that connector it routes the pmw signal away from the controller, and for some reason tells it(all 4 of my rad fans) to run at 100%. So pretty much I get to either run my pump at 100% all the time and have pmw control of my fans(with no control of my pump speed at all) via speedfan OR have pmw control of my pump via speedfan but no pmw control of my fans(only control via manual manipulation of the dials on the physical controller).

Just to be sure it wasn't the pump, I grabbed an intel hsf w/pmw and tried again with the pass through and yet again, all of the pmw control gets completely routed to the decide connected to the pass-through connector and, for some strange reason makes my controller put my fans on full blast even though speed fan will be set at for example 30%.

I'm not quite understanding what's going on here as they each both work independently of each other(fans OR pump) but don't work together when all interfaced with one another.

I'm pretty sure the point of having the pmw pass through was to be able to control a native pmw equipped piece of hardware while enabling control of non-native, regular hardware(in this case basic 3 pin fans)

* I'll answer a question I already know will come up:

Are you connecting your pump to the Sunbeam controller itself?
    - No, the controller comes with a cable that splits the mobo pmw signal into 2(one going to the controller itself the other is a direct pass through intended for pmw CPU fan)

Again pmw control of the pump and fans work independently of one another, but for some stupid reason will not work together as they should. I just want my pump and all 4 fans to be supplied with the same pmw signal so they can all be controlled at the same time with one setting.

Any ideas!? Helppp