1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Interview: AMD on Game Development and DX11

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

He was quite nice about Intel :D
    I'm looking forward to this new "fastest" graphic card.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

sounds like a decent bloke nice interview

makes me want to stick to ATI for a while yet interesting that they have sold 800,000 DX11 cards so far

also interesting that he refers to Nvidia as a marketing machine i feel it would do ATI a whole world of good to improve here a little

4. der_george

der_george What's a Dremel?

I just read the whole thing.
    A real ++ for AMD in my opinion. That is one honest guy. I think the first interview in a while where a guy from a tech-company admits mistakes on their behalf.
    I want more Interviews from Techguys and less marketingblurb.
    Nice one Bit-Tech and AMD!

5. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

Indeed, I was also really impressed by the guy - modest and willing to admit mistakes gets a bit thumbs up. I personally like companies that are a little more modest and AMD/ATI certainly are that - let's hope they stay like this! Over the last 20 or so PC specs I've drawn up for friends, not one has had a nVidia GPU. It'll stay this way for the immediate future at least :D

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Really good interview, interesting to hear his views on Nvidia's MSAA and PhysX tactics.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

really in-depth interview, and all responses are really well thought out.

and i can't wait to see a real open standard with ATI graphics doing some of the physics in games. from the look of he's response, looks like they want to have an engine that works together, multi-core CPU and GPU. hopefully ATI will not push its fusion too hard and have just as good physics performance on Intel machines with ATI graphics.

8. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Great interview and good to see AMD/ATI holding their hands up to mistakes, though it doesn't help them with the majority of consumers who won't benefit from reading articles like this. Personally, I am still waiting to hear more about their all in wonder series of cards, especially here in the U.K. as I know they released one over in the U.S. and even a 5850 version would suit me to the ground. I can't help love the AIW cards as they were the only cards to provide real-time TV images which meant I could plug my console in to my old AIW, something you can't do with a standard TV card due to a 2-3sec of lag.

Enough of my little rant there, looks like 2010 will prove to be an interesting year for both graphics and games.

9. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I loved "the fastest graphics card you can buy" line...is he implying that people won't be able to afford nVidia's top card?

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Long live AMD/ATI. Nice interview. Seems like he had a hint that Larrabee might not be as dead as people think it is? Would be an interesting reversal for Intel and probably generate negativity from investors just getting over the shock of wondering where their money already went.

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Really nice interview, he seems a nice guy, and a honest guy. He talks about nVidia's propaganda being too much, but I think AMD/ATi could do a little bit more advertising...

Anyway great interview, and thanks for the HD5870 :D I love it

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Larrabee isn't dead. The hardware part everyone was expecting, sure, but Larrabee as an idea and as an architecture is far from done as far as Intel are concerned.

Great interview. I think he repeated some of his points a few too many times (I heard you say nVidia are marketing lead the first time!), but it was very refreshing to see an honest interview that wasn't just a load of clever word tricks with him saying loads of nothing. Also, much respect for being honest about Arkham Asylum and The Saboteur. The problems already happened, so I don't see why big wigs are always so afraid to talk about them afterward. It was a very interesting read.

13. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

Think about creative. They must be about 90% marketing people and between the marketing and the software, they really ruin whatever decent hardware they have underneath.

14. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I agree with most of the people here, this interview is a nice one! It makes me respect them more and more, they're being honest and tries to respect their competitors, even when they're in a better positions at this time; not like their competitors who just barking and saying they would open a can of whoop-ass! LOL

One thing though, how the hell there's a banner (or image or whatever) about their competitor's campaign here? I'm talking about those TWIMTBP image on the first page. It's like you're trying advertise NVIDIA while talking to them. LOL

Other than that, I found this article as a nice readings. Thank you! :)

15. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

You really don't want that. While marketing is essential for moving product off the shelves and into consumer's hands, it should never be allowed to control development as much as NVIDIA allows it to. It destroys ethics and replaces sound engineering direction with "identity direction". This is just a fancy way of saying that everything has to revolve around a particular image of the company and it's worthless. I like AMD/ATI's current marketing strategy, let the products performance and value speak for itself.

16. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Eyefinity what??... wth??.. was i in a comma or something?

Is this Eyefinity kits something like the succesors of Spider and Dragon sytems?

Great interview Guys

17. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Excellent interview. Seems like an honest and decent guy, and very tactful regarding NVIDIA.

18. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I think my next card will definitely be an ATI

19. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Marketeering is why you get less bang for your buck with nVidia. Every time you buy a TWIMTBP title an 8800 dies.

Misguided quote of the decade: "a PC should just work"

20. Passarinhuu

Passarinhuu I huffs cats

Never thought I would actually read the whole interview, but I found it amazingly interesting from top to bottom. Nice one AMD/ATI, you're playing your cards perfectly at the moment :)

+1 rep

Tags: Add Tags