1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Surface RT sales picking up following discount

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Aug 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Did Windows RT Source expect Microsoft store employees to not say that they have seen a dramatic increase in sales since the price drop?
    It sound like the same BS that Microsoft always says, Windows 8 out selling Windows 7, Surface out of stock due to high sales, Vista out selling XP.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've worked retail for minimum wage; if somebody rang me up and asked a question, I'd tell the truth. I didn't get paid enough to lie on behalf of my company. Perhaps I would, had I been paid more or had an Apple Store-esque indoctrination^Wtraining programme.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

As documented on my own post recently, I was going to pick one up from my nearest Wal-Mart in Orlando. They had shipments everyday and sold out everyday. OK, that's just one Wal-Mart out of I don't know how many but it appears to be backing up claims in this article of them actually shifting units.

I also thought one of the conditions for getting apps on the Marketplace, the app had to work on both RT and full fat Win8.

I've seen a big increase in apps on the Marketplace for RT/Win8 and WP8 recently, suggesting the platform is gaining momentum regardless of how some like Corky42 refuse to allow it to.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Wether or not sales are picking up in the USA is not really the same as the wider market. Sales in the USA of both Surface products are ment to have been decent from day 1.

Till Microsoft gives Sales figures for its Surface Devices which will never happen btw we can only guess at the amount that has sold. Easy way to tell if sales have increased is if you see a outside of USA / Canada launch for the Surface RT 2 in November ish.

If it does not launch at all this year Microsoft have given up on the Surface line of products. If its strictly USA / Canada launch we have the Zune player all over again and the product will be left to rot.

Corky guessed close to 0 Snips guessed alot higher. Me id say sales have picked up due to price cuts but maybe not as much as some people would like to think. If it was selling 2 it might be selling 4 now which is a 100% increase but its still not a large increase.

Remember people if it was selling 1 and now it sells 4 thats some crazy % increase as i said without official sales figures we are just guess work are us.

6. Snips

I wasn't guessing anything, this Wal-Mart had 20 being delivered and selling out daily. I actually witnessed 3 people waiting for the shelves to be stocked to get their order from the previous day.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not saying it hasn't sold any, im saying Microsoft has history of lying about sales numbers and artificially inflating how well products have been received.

EDIT: Just because Walmart sells out doesn't negate the $900 million write-down on unsold Surface RT inventory, if anything it just shows they could well have been cautious about investing too much in the device.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2013
  8. Snips

History of Lying? Really?

As I've said earlier, this was one store, I asked the staff, saw the people waiting for the device to hit the shelf. The FACTS are, they were delivered 20 a day and cleared them out every day and had people on a waiting list.

So Corky42, why do you not want this device to succeed?

9. rollo

rollo Modder

If they were selling out of 20 every day would Wall Mart been the big store they are not simply order in 100 at a time.

The cost of getting 20 delivered each and every day to a store like Wall Mart is going to add up to more than they are surely making selling the product. Would be the only thing id question of that snips. Unless like all super / hyper markets they are hoping to make cash on what you buy in store and not the actual product sold.

If they really are getting 20 delivered a day they are stupid end of.

10. Snips

All I know is they went straight out on the shelf everyday. They were not a "Wal-Mart special's" stacked up to the ceiling like other tablets on offer.

I asked the guy looking after electrical if they had one, he said no but they would be in again in the morning. I asked him how often that happens and his reply was to say it's happened every day since the price drop. I asked how many come in and his reply was that they send in 20 each time. He then asked if I wanted to be put on the list so I had one waiting when I came back.

I left it a few days and was in again on another beer run and went over to see what was happening and they had just arrived and were being put on the shelves. Three people were waiting to take one who were on the list and had been called to say when they would be ready to collect. There may have been more but I don't know.

Let's not forget rollo, they get deliveries everyday for everything else in the store so it's not as stupid as it sounds.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Absolutely. With the massive lorries delivering stuff to big stores every day anyway, logistically it costs nothing to add 20 small boxes to the load.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yes a history of lying, try doing some research.
    Windows Vista Debuts with Strong Global Sales
    Or how about more recently when they claimed 8 is out selling 7
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/378391/microsoft-windows-8-outselling-windows-7
    Or how about reports of the Surface Pro being sold out when it was released ?
    Microsoft Surface Pro sell-out flap: Is the tablet really that popular?
    I'm not sure why you think i don't "want this device to succeed" i am merely pointing out that Microsoft have a history of making exaggerated claims about there products and sales figures. I'm not saying the price reduction hasn't helped to increase sales, but claims of it being sold out should be seen as nothing more than a marketing ploy, designed to make the product seem more desirable.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Marketing experts staggered, price has an influence on sales!!!

14. Nexxo

And gosh, no other company does that, no? :p

I get your point, but there is a difference between saying that Microsoft is lying and arguing that it may be economical or selective with the truth.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

OK point taken, but luckily im not on TV so i doubt im going to be sued for a defamatory statement :worried: but for correctness i will rephrase what i said. Microsoft are economical or selective with the truth. :D

EDIT: allegedly

Last edited: 12 Aug 2013
  16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

If only the Pro was a little bit more reasonable price-wise... €1,200 to get the 128GB Pro with the Touch Type cover....

17. Snips

Microsoft is a publicly listed company that requires all facts to be audited as "allegedly lying" statements could have an effect on share prices. I think you will find the numbers stack up whether you like them or not.

I witnessed them first hand being sold out on a number of occasions, are you calling me a liar now?

18. Nexxo

I'm sure he is not. Microsoft does have a way of being circumspect with the figures and that understandably breeds suspicion. There's a lesson for them there: be open and honest. If the figures are bad, be humble but prepared to learn. If the figures are good, be proud but modest. Embody the qualities a customer wants to see in you.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

No im not, although you do seem more than a little confrontational. :nono:

Either way just because you know of one store being low on stock, and that this says more about the stores stock policy than any reflection on how well the Surface RT is selling in every other store around the world.

You do seem to be ignoring the fact that this news article is about a pro-Surface site Windows RT Source, saying...
    You also seem to be confusing the facts that come from auditing with the psychology used in marketing, as Microsoft's own 10-K filing shows that it was taking a $900 million write-down on unsold Surface RT inventory

20. rollo

rollo Modder

That $900 mil write down still baffles me 1.8mil surface rt overstock is just pure crazy numbers. I dou't even apple had that many orginal iPads or iPhones made for there release .

Its more than those figures in reality as well as I've used retail price for the price.

More like 2.5 - 3 mil unsold depending on orginal cost.