1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other S3 woe

Discussion in 'Software' started by lilgoth89, 1 Sep 2013.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

so I have a galaxy S3 and im having a lot of trouble with it...

the phone itself works fine no problems with it...
    however windows does not see it as a Galaxy S3 it sees it as a 'portable media player'

and it will crash windows explorer when trying to view anything on the handset

everything I do crashes windows explorer although occasionally I get ' a device attached to the system has stopped functioning' error ( followed by a windows explorer reboot )

I downloaded Samsungs own KIES program...hoping it would solve the issue but that doesn't recognise the device as a Galaxy S3...

a quick support call to Samsung apparently tells me the device maybe fake ( despite buying it off a forum member who got it from the shop he works at )

any ideas ?

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried different usb ports

3. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

+1

Also try a different USB cable, been caught out with that on a S2.
    Same strange behaviour as you, changed the cable and it was sorted.
    (even though the USB cable was and is fine with other phones?????)

4. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

I recently put my s4 back to stock firmware and it only worked with the original usb cable.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

In my experience the S3's usb mode and drivers can be temperamental at best.
    I haven't had it crashing windows but I've had no end of problems trying to get it to work. Also, often once it doesn't work it is extremely difficult to get Windows to recognise it as a new device so it continues not to work.

Mine is actually connecting at the moment (I think the last firmware update may have helped a little), but for a long time I was using Airdroid instead to connect to the phone wirelessly through my browser over home wifi. It actually works really well.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

well I think it might be on my pc...doesn't enjoy working regardless of what port its hooked up to....but with my laptop ( same windows 7 ) its all happy to do anything I want
    its also happy to pull data off the card using a usb card reader

so im using my laptop to pull data off the phone...then using my portable hdd to get it to my pc ( never bothered setting up a NAS box