1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Google Voice

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 1 Aug 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Slightly surprised a thread hasn't popped up yet.. Invites have been rolling out for Google Voice, got mine a few days ago.

Set up all my contacts on GMail and set up push contacts on my iPhone, deleted all my iPhone contacts and now everything is kept on GMail/Voice. I must say, it is so incredibly convenient, it syncs as soon as I make an edit on GMail/Voice/iPhone and keeps everything nicely up-to-date, including calendar updates, and of course, it's Free.

Anybody got invites? How're you liking it?

Grab invites here:
    https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

Last edited: 1 Aug 2009
  2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How are you getting it working on the iPhone? Apparently Apple pulled all the Google Voice apps..

My next phone purchase has to factor this in as well :p

Too many killer apps for phones now, I can't live without Pandora, Shazam and AIM.. Google Voice is another one now.

Also, if anyone has invites, shoot me a PM please!

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately you can't invite anyone, you have to go here:

https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

And Google will send you an invite "soon"

Also, the GV app was release on Cydia for free to the jailbreak community. The FCC is currently investigating Apple & AT&T over not allowing GoogleVoice on the iPhone so it'll most likely make a come-back.

You actually don't really need the GV client to use most of the functionality. You can already set up push Contacts from GMail, which is what GV ties into, and replying to texts/calls you get through GV get redirected correctly through the service.

I'm quite impressed with it, though the Web App needs a bit of polishing.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i got an invite to it but i live in canada and dont have a phone. LOL

5. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Google voice is great .. if you live in the US, rest of world you can forget it for the time being, especially in europe where the way phone calls are charged is completely different

6. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

So far I'm liking it, but I only have one cell phone line to worry about so I can't use most of the advanced services yet, like switching lines mid-call. But what I *am* doing is having all calls to my private number relayed to GV for voicemail (see here)

Being able to track your voicemails and SMS's online is nice, however GV needs to seriously figure out how to relay outgoing SMS without having to store a new number for every contact. Eventually when they allow us to port our existing number they may get that to work.

The best part about it for me is that I can use the number I've got now pretty much anywhere without having to divulge my "real" private cell number. I'll be a Resident Advisor at college next year and this will allow me to hand my number out to all my residents and still screen calls.

A bit of a novelty right now, but I'm sure it will become more useful in the future.