1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Request Guidance, Tips and Cautions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katoman1932, 8 Nov 2008.

1. katoman1932

katoman1932 What's a Dremel?

I am a 77 year-old neophyte attempting to keep my mind active with my second build. I have read and reread the Extreme manual as well as visited numerous site in search of suggestions to utilize during my initial boot procedure. I am seeking guidance/suggestions which would enable me to have the smoothest operation. Overclocking IS NOT my initial priority. The following is a list of my components: Rampage Extreme;Intel Core 2 Duo E8600; mushkin XP 4GB (2 X 2GB)DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); 2 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA; LG DVD+R SATA Burner; PC Power & Cooling PPCT860 860W ATX12V;HIS Hightech H487F1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit; Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler; Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit; Lian Li PC-A70 case. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions and/or recommended links.:)

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Welcome to BT!

There isn't really too much that can go wrong with a build. If you want to be extra careful, an antistatic wrist strap could be used, but touching a radiator or the case is enough. That's pretty much it. Simply follow the instruction manuals very carefully and you should be fine.

To make the build easier, I would install the hard drive and DVD drive first, then the power supply, followed by the memory/processor, then install the board. The graphics card goes in last.

3. katoman1932

katoman1932 What's a Dremel?

Thank You

This is exactly the type of information I need to know. The order of build will be quite helpful.:thumb:

4. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Also have a look at how the heatsink and fan go on, you'll probably want to do this before putting the motherboard in, but that might hinder other things. I always do build things into the case in this order:

PSU, motherboard (with pre-fitted cpu, hsf, and ram), hard drives, graphics card, dvd rom.

Make sure ot think about cable routing as well. As a general rule I'd start with the largest cables, and then route others round them.

RwD

5. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I would use an anti-static wrist strap as a minimum. Don't work on carpet, particularly synthetic carpet. Pick up components by the edges and avoid touching the metal bits with your fingers.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The Tuniq has a S775 backplate so mounting the CPU, HSF, and memory before installing the motherboard is almost Hobson's choice. For applying thermal compound, the Arctic Silver method is recommended whatever paste you use.

Tags: