1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Upgrade Failure

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dangthrimble, 23 Jan 2012.

1. Dangthrimble

Dangthrimble What's a Dremel?

I have an HP Pavilion a1629.uk with its original power supply (Bestec ATX-300-12Z 300W) and am trying to upgrade my graphics card from a Sapphire ATI Radeon X 1600 Pro to an Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic so that I can drive both my 24" monitors (BenQ FP241W and Dell U2410) digitally at 1920x1200. Having been advised that 300W would not suffice I have acquired a Corsair HX520W.

Before installing the new graphics card I attempted to install the Corsair, but found the computer would not start, even when disconnecting all peripherals and just leaving the ATX motherboard (an ECS RC410-M) and CPU powered.

Initially I thought the PSU was faulty, but having visited the Corsair web site and taking their advice, I shorted the green pin and a black pin on the 24-pin motherboard connector when the PSU was out of the computer. The PSU's fan spun which apparently indicated the PSU was OK. The Corsair web site advises the problem is because the PSU is not receiving the power-on signal from the motherboard, yet the original PSU seems to cope fine.

In case you're wondering, I did ensure:

• the PSU was plugged into a wall socket and the socket turned on;
    • the Corsair was turned on (there is no power switch on the original PSU); and
    • I was switching the computer on an the front!

I tried the Corsair again and found that when I pressed the on/off switch on the front of the computer it very briefly flashed blue (the colour the switch glows when the power is on). When I pressed the switch again nothing happened, but on the third attempt it briefly flashed blue again, and so on... It's as though the sequence is: On (blue flash); Off (nothing); On (blue flash); Off (nothing); etc.

Can anyone advise what I could try to get the Corsair working on my motherboard? I know they are good PSUs and am loathed to replace it with another make.

Thanks

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

You will find that some times OEM's do not conform to ATX standards and your HP power supply may be wired differently from a standard ATX PSU. Check with the original PSU to make sure you havn't damaged anything and compare the colored cables with the corsair. Also check the voltages with a voltmeter (if you have the time and patience).

3. Dangthrimble

Have checked the cable colours and voltages. The results are displayed as follows (pin order corrected):

Pin number: ATX colour (from Wikipedia!); original PSU colour, if different [voltage]; Corsair colour, if different [voltage]

01: Orange; [0V]; [0V]
    02: Orange; [0V]; [0V]
    03: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    04: Red; [0V]; [0V]
    05: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    06: Red; [0V]; [0V]
    07: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    08: Grey; [0V]; [0V]
    09: Purple; [5V]; [5V]
    10: Yellow; [0V]; [0V]
    11: Yellow; [0V]; [0V]
    12: Orange; [0V]; [0V]
    ---
    13: Orange/Brown; [0V]; Orange only [0V]
    14: Blue; [0V]; [0v]
    15: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    16: Green; [4V]; [2.3V]
    17: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    18: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    19: Black; [0V]; [0V]
    20: Empty; ;
    21: Red; [0V]; [0V]
    22: Red; [0V]; [0V]
    23: Red; [0V]; [0V]
    24: Black; [0V]; [0V]

Is the voltage difference on pin 16 significant? Wikipedia indicates it should be 5V. Should I short out pin 16 and take voltage readings again?

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  4. Dangthrimble

Corsair PSU out of spec and not powering up PC

Have checked the voltages on both PSUs, both with pin 16 shorted and open. The only time any pins are out of spec is with pin 16 open when the Bestec has 3.9V on pin 16 and the Corsair has 2.25V. They are both out of spec (+/- 5%) from 5V (4.75-5.25V), though the Corsair is much further out of spec. Is that likely to be the problem?

5. Pookie

Sorry i havnt got back to you on this i have been crazy busy. This is your board? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00638516 . Looks like the corsair should be fine. If you put the best tec back in does it all work ok? The EAH3650 is hardly a monster card and it should be ok with the original PSU. when i first put my X58 rig together i used an old Antec 430 Watt PSU for a couple of months and had no issues. As far as the ratings go pin 16 is just the power on and should be a low reading anyways. Newer PSU's are also backawards compatable with older ATX standards.

Im Starting to suspect something aint quite right with the corsair you "aquired", may be duff:(

6. Dangthrimble

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Yeah, each time I put the Bestec back in everything powers up, no problem. You think a 300W PSU would be adequate for my Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic? Apart from that all I have is a couple of HDDs and a DVD Writer. If the Bestec PSU did start to struggle what sort of symptoms should I look out for?

7. Pookie

If your PSU is struggling with the new card and i do mean if because i dont think it will, you may see issues with either failing to boot/post, BSOD's,pc locking up,loud bangs,sparks,flames etc:thumb:

8. Dangthrimble

Nothing too serious then! :eeek:

I'll give it a go and report back...