1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The death of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Dec 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Drop me a pm and I'll send you a 10 welcome back thing to wow ;-) pandaland us ok to play through for the story at least once

3. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

DAT epic moment when my Human Warrior first went into Stromwind.
    Never forget that overwhelming feeling.

4. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

The first time I did the Deadmines with my hunter lovely feeling. Before that I thought it was just leveling your char. But after that the pictures was complete for me :D

Also the TBC was the best expansion for loved playing Black Temple

5. Morkrah

Morkrah What's a Dremel?

I at least died a little inside (a lot in fact) as when the burning crusade came, the rank 14 gear on my warrior that id spent most of my younger life getting, was now accessible to everyone and dwindled in power with every new level up.

I never really recovered from that, wow was never the same. If only id known blizzard had that idia...

stopped after that and never looked back.

6. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

WoW died for me just after WotLK release, I just couldn't bring myself to level to cap again after spending all the time raiding in TBC (which i still rate as the best expansion to any game).
    I can't pinpoint what I didn't like, it just seemed to rub me up the wrong way.

7. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

It is not what it was back in BC or even in Vanilla. Actually, Vanilla was a bit tedious. I think BC did most things just right.

WoW is still a great game. It has changed a lot, yes. You just have to accept it for what it is, not compare it to what it used to be. Then a lot of casual fun can be had with WoW, which is something that wasn't possible a few years back, when a certain time commitment was necessary.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Played alot in vanilla and TBC, Quit hardcore raiding at end of TBC sunwell had burned out the bulk of the player base that i played and raided with. Alot of the big guilds merged at end of TBC to keep the players who wanted to raid still raiding.

Ulduar was the last great raid zone very few zones have compared to it for feel or epicness. And it also has a red button that you have to press once to see what happens.

Played Cata but got bored quickly and said id never return. Still have not to this day.

No other MMO that is sub based will survive long as long as WOW has so many players ( Rift excluded which seems to have its own player base)

9. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I've played WoW since 9months previous to The Burning Crusade.

The thing about new games is that they are just that, new and exciting, expansions are all the old stuff, re-jigged to bring some freshness to those who have done it all once already as well as new stuff for those who don't want to do it all again (level alts etc).

Judging a game like this can be very subjective and very much a personal point of view that will split people's opinions - here is a snap shot of my own opinions and point of view.

Vanilla was awesome it was a great levelling experience and I raided up to ZG and MC although I have to admit I never played that well.

TBC was also good - vast world to see, (Blades Edge Mountains - never ever again what chuffin aweful design), levelling was good, lore was good, dungeons were good (maybe too much for the casual gamer though), this is where I really started tobecome focused on raiding, do more theory work, more reading, more strats, better selection of gear etc... I still recall completing my T4 set and the pride I had :)

Wrath was every bit as good as TBC for me - Naxx was good intro, Ulduar was epic, truly epic and I really enjoyed ICC - this expansion went on for 6months longer than it should have though and people started to migrate.

Cataclysm for me was bitter sweet, the developers spent too much time and budget re-hashing the old world, re-skinning what was still a respectable world and using the cataclysm as an excuse - also once you'd been to an area and levelled (80-85), there was very little reason to go back......I levelled a character from 1-85, it was faster, some of the new quests were fun, but it had certainly lost that epic feel, especially Hinterlands, WPL, EPL (I was happy not to have to do Felwood though lol)

They got some things right, tabards for heroics to gain rep and help you gear up...but then made 50% of the heroics so horrible, you'd not want to go without a guild group, the first raid tier was very good, Firelands was okay (but really felt as though not much thought had gone into it - Ragnaros Heroic remains the best fight in Cataclysm) and Dragon Soul was disappointing (compared to Ice Crown Citadel, Molten Core or Black Temple, I never managed to go to Sunwell in it's prime)... but still 'fun' and challenging.

Now we're in Pandaria - the levelling experience is really nice, good lore and enjoyable questlines.

But also very very bad - removing the things I liked about Cataclysm (Cauldrons, Mass Summoning, Tabards for Rep) and creating a weekly points cap and attaching said points to a daily quest grind that people (end game raiders like me) really feel forced to do to remain optimised and useful to the raid groups.

Yes people's love for this game is dying, it's happening to this old veteran (I find it much easier to play other games with wanting to do more in WoW) the guild and comradeship mean more to me - I still enjoy raiding I just dislike how much Blizzard feel the need to make it so time consuming outside of raids.

I am sure if you and I sat in a pub and discussed this game we'd disagree on a lot but the conclusions will be the same - to us, this game has lost most of it's appeal.

Disappointing to me that all other MMORPG's that have followed since WoW all follow the same formula's and that makes them the 'me too' failures that they become (people playing MMORPG are already invested in WoW a 'me too' product is not enough to tempt this player base away).

WoW's community are ready for the next innovation not the next 'me too' product.

Bring on the innovators, the new style of game that can really move the WoW disciples to the next big thing!!

This serves as a warning to the FPS (CoD etc....) every story has an ending........ :)

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012
  10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I don't mean to flame, but am I the only one who finds this type of comment more than just a little sad?

11. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I actually miss the world .. of warcraft, Ever since getting a new job, I didnt have time to play really, wanted to start my pandas,lol, alas I guess the world is dead to me as well now, hope to spend some time in the near future

12. Drekz

Drekz What's a Dremel?

WoW hasn't died, what kind of misleading article is this?

Sure it has its pros and cons, but it's gained subscribers lately and has been dubbed having a superior expansion to cataclysm.

Despite most people won't ever get over vanilla and even TBC, it's had a successful and very unique expansion.

13. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I don't think he said that it is dead, rather it is dead for him. Although he may no longer enjoy WoW for the reason specified, I'm sure millions of others still do...

14. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

EVE wins eh

15. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

WoW sucks BIG TIME! I never understand how that crap managed to get 10M online fools! And yes, I played for a month, it trully sucks. FFXI WAS the best (after absyssea it doomed the game).

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I miss SWG tbh, in it's original incarnation. The open-ended tree system and world after world of sandbox has never been repeated and probably never will be. The feelings you have here are similar to those.

I played WoW from 2005 to end of 2010. It was great fun in vanilla and great fun in TBC but the game became easier and easier to the point where it was a joke and there was nothing fun to do, the grind was the game and the game was a grind. When it started to feel like a job away from my IRL job, I dumped it and haven't looked back.

Kudos to those still enjoying it, I won't run it in to the ground. If you still have fun playing it then that's great but I would guess that most refuse to realise that they, in fact, are not enjoying it any more.

17. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

Why do you feel sad for me ? I meant overwhelming feeling IN A GAME.
    I was stunned and impressed at the same time, no other COMPUTER GAME gave me that feeling (of beeing so small in a Huge town full of other players) again.
    No Storyline in a shooter or other RPG could hold me for that long time.
    BTW. I quit Wow half a year b4 Pandaria, just to start again with its release and do the storyline in Pandaria, and QUIT AGAIN.
    My spare time is better spend with my GF, son and REAL LIFE. Doing a 50h job doesn´t help that too.

18. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

i have been thinking about having a look at the new expansion. A couple of my mates still play and i don't get to see them often so it could be a good way to 'hang out'.
    I agree with most of the comments that TBC was the best expansion but it is true that you had to invest a lot of time in it. If my mate sends me scroll... i will probably have another look. shhhh don't tell my fiancee

19. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Yes you are.

There is no difference in a game from having an overwhelming feeling whilst watching a movie or reading a book.

In fact I would say games can drum up those feelings a lot better than most movies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

20. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

WoW was a great game for me and probably still is for the vast many who play it but like the article says, after I had worked out what the game was about and explored what I wanted to explore and lost it's mystery. . . that was when i stopped really caring about it. I didn't enjoy many of the instances during BC so it was time to pack up and leave. I wish I could go back to pre-BC when I was a lowly Tauren on the plains of mulgore, killing boars and harpies under the shadows of thunder bluff and just staring out in awe across the vast plains of the barrens. Almost all of my real life friends played alliance so discovering the game on my own and not being dragged through it by those who were already leveled was quite the experience. I wasn't in it for the levels or the exp or the loot. I just enjoyed walking around the world and finding things for myself. Once I had pretty much uncovered the map, it didn't feel like there was much to do and BC, while it added a lot of good instances and restructuring of the gameplay mechanics, it didn't really add enough new land for me to explore, it felt so small in that regard.

Tags: Add Tags