1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony PlayStation 4.5 rumoured for October release

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

developers could be asked to ensure their titles play acceptably on the older hardware, unlocking only increased framerates or higher-resolution rendering when running on the newer device.

Welcome to the world of a PC gamer.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well if they want to run games using VR or at 4K then it's going to be stupidly expensive and not very appealing to most parents, when the kids want one imho.

I just think it's stupid for console manufacturers to even think about 4K gaming at the moment, since the hardware is just not there for consoles yet, and is only just starting to get there for the pc gamers but if it does happen then we pc gamers might finally get games that are optimised for 4K properly rather, than the shoddy efforts that currently seem to be happening.

I have been tempted lately with getting rid of my Xbox and getting a PS4 but I think I will hold off and see what happens with this rumoured PS4.5 or what ever they call it, if they do indeed end up making it and if they do I wonder Microsoft's response will be.

Apparently also Sony are potentially open to opening up there VR headset to the pc market as well, but we will have to wait and see how that pans out.

As it is for me personally I lost faith in Oculus when they were bought by Facebook but I was really thinking about getting one simply because, I don't need the added extras that the HTC Vive offers, but after reading this I am now only looking at the Vive, as I shouldn't have to mess with the software just to play a game or use a app not purchased from the Oculus Store.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The Nintendo 64 RAM expansion mentioned in the article was an interesting one: it was a hybrid between exclusivity and improvement. Perfect Dark would technically run on an unexpanded N64, but you'd only be able to access a small portion of the multiplayer levels; you had to have the RAM pack in order to play the full set of multiplayer levels and the single-player campaign.

If the PlayStation 4.5 (turns out to be true and) just boosts graphical fidelity, that's one thing; if Sony goes the New 3DS route and releases games that are exclusive to the PS4.5, I as a relatively new PS4 owner am going to be right royally ticked off.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I think this PS4 move is most likely a response to to Phil Spencer of Microsoft giving a very big hint at this years GDC that the Xbox One will also see a mid life upgrade.

Switching to x86 PC based hardware really has changed the nature of the console business now, Sony & Microsoft are effectively having their CPU/GPU R&D paid for by AMD.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Didn't Microsoft say something along the lines of "We won't be changing the console but will be releasing different ones"?

What I mean is they have said they will be releasing updates of the Xbone but not changing the tech it runs on?

If that's true it would basically be the same deal as the 4.5.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wonder if it would make sense for the next generation of consoles to have a replaceable graphics module, to avoid such a fast iteration rate. Or maybe this is just because of VR and the next gen will be suitably powerful

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

tbh most gaming pc`s struggle at 4k now - so IIRC this 4k PS4 might well be 4k streaimg capable (eg Netflix , amazon video) and have a 4k blu ray in it (along with the new AMD DDR4 chipset)

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Can not see it happening, might be a refresh cycle but no faster components. It would be a development nightmare. Sony would also face major backlash from fans.

I guess they don't want to release a ps5 so are rumouring this for reaction. Can only see it leading to there demise.

Quick edit to this all ps4 games would require backwards compatibility as well which makes it even less likely. Most games are codes for the gpu and CPU sub systems if they are different not every game would just play without some adjustments.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It might be possible for sony to API their way out of a development nightmare. Or since the hardware is customised, fix compatability issues in hardware.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Unless they offer a serious buy-back option for those who have bought a PS4 already, I can see this going down as well as a cold cup of concrete.

12. Hardski76

Hardski76 What's a Dremel?

So funny as all the console fanboys moan about PC gamers having to upgrade in order to play games at higher settings, hilarious.

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The question is, assuming this is a 14nm part, was it impossible to take the 28nm part and just shrink it? If they had to do some major redesign work anyways for the new node, why not take some Polaris and Zen goodies (or some other easy to implement improvements) and stuff them under the new hood?

Were that to be the case, then Sony has 2 choices, either make a Playstation 4.5 as the rumors suggest or cripple a perfectly good chip by lowering the clocks and calling it a PS4 green edition.

Admittedly, the latter would be fun if it brought OCing to consoles :dremel:

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

as mentioned above - the N64 had an upgrade path as well....

15. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Actually it had 2 upgrades, the 64DD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64DD

16. rollo

rollo Modder

N64 upgrade was cheap or free with perfect dark. This will not be a cheap upgrade for console fans if it does get released. They would ask for another £400 for more 1080p gaming most would say txs but no.

4K even on consoles with there optimisation is not likely to happen. 4K 60fps guarenteed is effectively 2 980tis in most games at high PC settings. Unless Polaris offers double the 980ti performance at huge power savings I just don't see how it's realistic.

It can be technically done do not get me wrong on that, in a cost be damn system Sony could produce a 4K capable box would it sell in a market where £400 has been proven to be the upper limit if you want decent sales. I am not so sure it can or they would want to.

There would be no need for a ps5 what could they offer 8k ? Sony would effectively be saying this is our final console enjoy.

17. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

If they market it right, they'll be fine. Call it the PSVR or something.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Console gamers will suck it up because people got used to changing their phones every year at several hundred $ a pop.

I'm pretty sure it'll be VR(1080p60)/4K BD included so most people won't need it. Sony need to sell the 4K BD to push its other entertainment and TV business' and the PS2(DVD) and PS3(BD) was the biggest install-base of either format. PS4 Slim is very likely due at the same time so they'll retire the 'fat' and introduce two new models - one at a lower price, one at a higher price - that should go some way to avoiding direct conflict.

I would be very surprised if MS don't come out with something too - they are 50% behind now and an even more powerful Sony machine will kill the Xbone dead. They need something radically different.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I'm thinking 4k streaming as I said above - unless they have access to the new AMD polaris APU with DDR4 (which if that is 4k 30fps , which it might be)

20. rollo

rollo Modder

What hdmi port is on the ps4 as hardware wise it could easily stream 4K if it's got a port that can handle the stream. My smart tv can handle 4K streaming using its inbuilt Netflix app so a ps4 that is surely faster should be able too.