1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Durability of Gaming laptops?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MSHunter, 16 Jan 2015.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a gaming laptop to replace my PC. (Had to downsize)

At the moment I am going towards Gigabyte's 2k 980m 8GB offerings but reviews tend to state it hits 90c and my be throttling back down. A) whats the point of a 980m is you only get 970m performance? B) that can not be great for the laptops longevity.

On the plus side the IPS screen test better the MSI's offerings though their version is 3 or 4k but lower RGB according to notebookchecker.

both are about £1700 which is pushing my budget already so I have not considered more expensive options like aurora and Dell. Sadly no thinkpad with 980m :(

Any one know how Giga and MSI hold up in the longevity department? Would like to get a good 5+ years out of it.

(Please do not suggest PCs, they are sadly not an option in my situation)

Cheers guys!

PS: shame this one is a 4GB version of the 980m
    MSI GT60-2QE 4k 980m 4GB

Gigabyte-P35X-v3-CF3 leaning more to this one.

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Any one own a MSI or Gigabyte laptop? If so how is it compared to other laptops?

I have only ever owned Asus and Lenovo/IBM laptops.

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

4. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I'v had an Msi one for 8 months no problems so far.

Only slight issue was the win 8 crapware so I did a fresh install other than that great. :)

5. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

I own the top of the line Gigabyte with the 2k screen and 980m. never seen the 980 clock down, and it is insanely fast for a laptop. It has much better cooling than the Aorus x3 I had before (which hit 100 degrees on both the CPU and GPU in most games) and it feels very very well built. Cannot give it a bigger thumbs up!

I can run benchies if you like, just let me know.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I don't own one, but having played with several models I would recommend the laptops from XMG

The older "Pro" series offer sli graphics cards at the cost of thickness. The latest P505 and P705's have a fantastic finish, lovely to game on. Sporting 900 series GPU's and lots of storage options. Also 24 months Warranty including parts and labor AFAIK.

Personally I would forgoe any SSD or HDD when ordering and fit my own. The warranty is still covered if you do. I know this as I was told directly by the UK marketing manager :p