1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Moving to Plusnet............

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 26 Jan 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And looking for an alternative fibre router than the rather basic model Plusnet supply: router

Budget is a bit of an issue as I am putting my spare cash aside for a GTX 970 so really looking to spend no more than 50-60 quid if that is possible.

Engineer arrives Fiday so ideally like to have this by then saves me setting it up.

Thanks

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What features do you want that the plusnet one doesn't have?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not so much features it just does seem a little basic a bit cheap and nasty and poor reviews everywhere I look. I suppose I could wait and see how it preforms but in my experience the supplied routers from ISP's are the least they can get away with rather than offering a better choice even if it means paying a little more at the outset.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? http://www.tplink.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1043ND

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Can you stretch to £85 for Asus AC-56u? It's the 2 antenna version of my Ac-68u, with all the latest technologies and features.
    www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC56U-Wireless-Broadband-Router/dp/B00DYT2MPK

Only thing missing compared to AC-68u is extra antenna for AC1900 (never 600 on 2.4GHz, 1300 on 5GHz), you'll still get AC1200, which is 300 on 2.4GHz and 900 on 5GHz. To be honest unless your wireless client also have 3 antennas (most only have 2) you'll not see benefits with a 3 antenna router.

Compared to the very newest AC-87u, it's got a slightly slower processor. The wireless configuration is vastly different: after AC1900 the AC routers seems to be split into 2 types, a AC2400 and a AC3200, it's still unclear which configuration is better. But either way, you'll not get faster than 900 on 5GHz band without a matching expensive client.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Absolutely not at the moment. I have decided to let it run for a couple of months and see how it goes. Makes better sense as financially I will be better off and if it is fine then I will not replace if it is not then I will have had more time to research.

Thanks all.

6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

The one they gave me before I left (chasing quidco deals) was ok apart from the fact that they also had to supply an openreach box - so I lost a point to plug something in. Plus it was two things to reset if there was an issue. Apart from that, the plus net box had really good parental controls where you could limit per hour for both weekends and weekdays. BT infinity is lacking on that regard.

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

For the budget you posted, it's not really worth changing. I replaced mine with a Draytek Vigor 2830.

8. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Glenn, I have nothing to add to your thread other than to say that I'm moving to Plusnet too. We can be Plusnet moving buddies :)

Of course, I'm subscribing to a hideous 2Mb service whereas you'll probably get 8,124,987,243Mb, but that doesn't matter...

:sigh:

11. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

Nope, needs to be plugged into the openreach modem.

12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

You should of put my username down as a referrer :(. Happy plusnet customer here!

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Shall we wear something elaborate to celebrate are coming together?

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

OK thanks. Still looks good but as I mentioned earlier see how the PlusNet router performs before I rush out and buy an alternative.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Something from the Lady Gaga range, perhaps?

Or maybe just a fancy fruit hat:

[​IMG]

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'm with PlusNet fibre and using their router and getting 74Mb down and 17 up

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My suite your hat we will be the toast of PlusNet.

[​IMG]

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Quite a notable gang of us then?

19. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

It would seem so, touch wood I've not had an issue yet. I don't use the supplied plusnet router though I use my RT-N56U that I've had for years. A friend uses the plusnet router though for his CCTV, it's been on 24/7 with no cut outs so whilst it's specs ain't great it seems to be fairly reliable.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just needed to rant some place regarding virgin ADSL service.

Virgin decided they would switch their customers over to Talk talk and sold their 100k users to talk talk.

The only problem is there is no switch, they just cut every body off on the 21st.... I spoke to the customer service billing team and asked them wtf is going on, I have been with out internet for 5 days what are you guys doing.

In the email (there was an email in my virgin email box which I never normally read) it said the switch over would take only 20minutes.

She said its not just you, 98k people have been suddenly cut off and the only thing to do is be put through to the talk talk relasionship manager.

I said to her ok I will have to do that because you have not switched any thing here.

Amazing,

Did any one hear about this, or is any one from virgin broad band or ADSL a poster here?

The guy at talk talk said there is a note that has gone around to tell all teams to pick up the cut off virgin customers as best as possible, they are totally swamped.

Also I am being charged a full month cycle from the 15th to feb 15th and said there is no way to get a refund only from the 21st of Jan to when I called up which was the 24th Jan.

Unbelievable and difficult for people that relied on virgin for their adsl internet.

Who ever is in charge at virgin for the careful migreaiton to talk talk needs to lose his job, I make no bones about it, you don't cut off 98k people from internet for plus 6 days or longer.

What a botched customer migreation by virgin and talk talk.