1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In an effort for more PPD!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Norfolk'N'Good, 3 May 2009.

1. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Hi all,

In my quest for more PPD a mobo upgrade is required as my 8800GT is just sitting here doing nowt because it wont work in my scabby AGP/PCI-E 1.0 hybrid board I bought many moons ago to save a little dosh back then.
    So I am stuck with the low PPD (approx 800/1200 depending on WU) 32 shader of my 8600GT

To get the 8800 GPU Folding as quick as possible I have to make full use of the hardware I still have, so I have picked an Asus P5Q Pro, which will work with my P4D and yet take a C2D Quad purchase in a few months time.

However I carnt use my existing 533 memory in the P5Q board as it takes 667/800/1066, my dilemma is which of the memory type do I buy to work with both the P4D now and the Quad later on?
    The P4D has a FSB of 800 but the Quad I will buy has a FSB of 1066, Q6600 or similar.

So, before I pull the trigger and purchase memory which might compromise the PPD of the Quad later which do I buy?

DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500,

DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400

DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300

Any advice would be welcome, thanks,

Norfolk….

[folding]un=Norfolk'N'Good&t=35947[/folding]

2. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

PC-6400 should be fine, expecially because of how memory dividers work on motherboards. Memory is pretty cheap at the mo so try to kit out the mobo with 4gb, that certainly helps if you end up wanting to run a couple of VM SMP clients as well as a gpu client. Make sure you buy in pairs for dual channel mode, that is important.

3. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

lemme guess, ASRock? I know what you mean as I'm currently stuck with one =/

800mhz mem is excellent value for money at the moment. I think 4 gb is something silly like £55?

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Amount of memory doesn't make much difference to PPD, speed makes a bit of difference but you probably wouldn't notice.

5. cgcox1

cgcox1 Obessed Folder! Me? Surely not!

If you go for 2gb atleast leave yourself a spare couple of slots to upgrade.

Agreed it won't help folding speed (I was thinking more of system speed when you have VM clients running), but at the money its going for its well worth having for the future.

6. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Thanks for the replies guys, i pulled the trigger and went with your suggestions of 4gb of 6400, which will be needed when i stick vista on later on in year. £34.99 for branded OCZ.

The P5Q pro has two pci-e slots and my PSU has two six pin cables so i may hold off on the quad purchase and get another 8800 as long as my P4 has enough grunt.

[folding]un=Norfolk'N'Good&t=35947[/folding]

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

If you would like to contribute to the Chimps Challenge, then JackOfAll may be prepared to lend you a graphics card! See the thread "Chimp challenge - host a GPU"