1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory AsRock K10N78 with 16 GB ram crash

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BearC, 13 Mar 2012.

1. BearC

BearC Profound Modification

Hello, just upgraded my custom build pc and been getting the blue screen of death, the system boots fine load OS and after some min it will crash and I'm sure it's the new upgrade of 16 GB RAM then after about 2 blue screens later it's become stable it seems anyway.

My board is an Asrock K10N78 and Komputerbay 16GB 4 X 4GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHZ.
    Have updated bios to v2 and it's set on default settings, are there any tweaks I could do to stable the system?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2012
  2. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Can't be sure, but seeing a budget board like that combined with a brand of RAM I've never heard of doesn't fill me full of confidence.

I'd say it's the RAM, because at least AsRock are a known brand. I'd always suggest that people stick to quality brands. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc. motherboards (although newer performance AsRock boards are good), and memory from Corsair, G Skill, Cruicial etc.

Edit. Sorry that this post wasn't very useful.

Try running memtest to see if it reports any faults with your RAM. If it does, try pulling the RAM out a stick at a time, booting the pc in between to see if the problem disappears. Chances are that only one stick of RAM is faulty (if at all), and this way you can find out which one.

Further Edit. Holy s**t. Just googled your motherboard, and wow, that's an erm… interesting 24pin placement! Can't be very good for cable management.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2012
  3. BearC

Thanks dullonion for fast reply, yeah that 24pin placement is a pain as I have big cooler master heatsink, it's not bad board 1st real issue I've have is with this 16gb ram, have done memtest when 1 st got ram and no problem, will try removing stick.
    maybe it is time to upgrade board, get one that supports ddr3 as it seems to be cheaper than ddr2 for what ever reason?

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

It may not be a problem with the RAM or board, it was just my first thought.

Could you please note down the error code when Windows blue screens, because that will help us pinpoint the problem.

I'm not an expert at diagnosing problems though, so maybe someone else can help as well.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Set the computer not to reboot after a bluescreen and note down the error code.

You can also use nirsoft's bluescreen viewer to look at the minidump to see what's causing the error

6. Deders

Deders Modder

After checking the ram one stick at a time, you should set the command rate from 1t to 2t, some motherboards need this when all their slots are filled.

7. BearC

Handy tool saspro thanks

All bug check codes in past 3days
    0x0000000a
    0x00000050
    0x00000024
    0x1000007e

I also changed to 2t from auto in bios witch seem to work but after 3-4 cold boots i started to get blue death again, have removed 2 sticks and its seems stable on 8GB and will stick with that for the time untill i can get my head arround the error codes.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

What are the timings and voltages on the side of each chip?

9. BearC

CL 5-5-5-12 Voltage 1.8V

10. Deders

Deders Modder

All 4 of them?

Might be worth loosening some of the timings in the bios to see if you can get it stable.

11. BearC

all 4 yeah, will give it a go. Thanks

12. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Is there an option in the bios to map memory above the "hole"?

Is a rebuild on a fresh drive an option?

Are all your drivers up to date?

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Did you upgrade anything else apart from the ram?

14. BearC

Have tried boot on on two drives, my main is SSD 60 GB with win7 64, was getting a bit full at time ram install but seemed to have same crash problem on other drive, 2TB WIN7 64.

All driver up to date, even got the sweet Nvidia 296.10 for my GeForce GTX280 two days ago.

I'm on 8GB RAM at the moment with no problem so think I may sell other two sticks and think about motherboard upgrade, been looking at MSI 990FXA-GD80.