1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ID-Cooling unveils Hunter Duet CPU & GPU AIO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jul 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm probably showing my ignorance hear but why don't these AIO systems house the pump in the radiator?

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

First, I believe some do but I could be wrong. I am thinking of the one that has a dual rad with a res with a window and LEDs.

Secondly, I believe it is to do with possible pump noise. By placing the pump in the waterblock, the pump is then closer to the center of the case and further away from the vents. A pump in the rad (being closer to the vents) would then be noisier no?

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You can easily isolate/decouple to reduce pump vibrations, but sticking an extra lump on one end could reduce the number of chassis capable of housing the rad.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

But that also won't do anything to minimise the much complained about 'pump whine'.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Not the first it would appear, Asetek have had one the 760GC, which was a CPU and GPU loop on a 120mm rad.

Just came across the Asetek one while looking for alternative cooling for my 660 again.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That depends on whether it is the pump whining or just a high frequency vibration. I had that with a dual DDC bay reservoir - once it was properly decoupled, what I thought was an impending death whine from one of the DDCs just turned out to be vibration.

It can sometimes be a more localised vibration - I know a guy who solved pump whine on a Swiftech H2O 120 by sticking a huge gob of bluTac on top of the pump housing (also a DDC). So it was still a frequency vibration and not a mechanical defect.

But, yeah, if the pump is actually whining, you're a bit stuffed - I RMA'd a H80 after it developed a whine that just wouldn't go away.