1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: Call of Duty

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Oct 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and they are still using the same game engine :p

cjmUK and dark_avenger like this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Ten years? Where the hell did those years go?!

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I've had the urge to get the first two again for a while (played them both but don't seem to have a copy anymore :( ) and this definitely has made me start looking again!

5. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

...that game being Quake III :p

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The multi player was superb, many a happy hour spent in Carentan, Harbor, Hurtgen....some amazing sniper battles on the bigger maps.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That was a very enjoyable read. Nice article, Rick.

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'm sorry, but Allied Assault's Omaha beach is still the most sh*t your pants moment of any Military FPS I've played.

Actually scrap that, being napalm bombed in Battlefield Vietnam is. When all I have is a frigging rifle.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

For me it is a toss up between either Defending Hill 400 or Over the Top in COD2 on Veteran difficulty.

(Omaha on Allied Assault is a pain though, playing on the GC makes it feel like a a game of luck, especially when it bugs out and one of the 4 soldiers refuses to move) - Derp, I am getting confused between Frontline and AA.

Ok great, now I am going to have to dig out my copy of COD2 to play throught these again.... :p

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

MoH:AA and CoD1 are both great games, with fantastic scenes. The beach assault in AA, and the Volga assault in CoD are both iconic moments in gaming IMO.

I enjoyed the revival of MW1 - the stretch to a slightly more story-driven game was welcome after years of the same-old CoD/MoH attitude of caring for nothing save the battle. The tipping point came in MW2 though I think, when it went much too far over into the wishy-washy drama.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have very fond memories of COD1 and the UO add-on to it (the United Offensive add-on gave the ability to sprint, cook grenades before throwing - such fun - and additional maps etc).

Many, many hours were spent online in MP - awesome fun it was. Carentan was always my favourite map and the different sneaky MP game modes were a welcome change from the normal run'n'gun.

MOH was great as well but I preferred the COD1 MP side of things.

Great article, it makes me want to dig out the games and play them, just for old times sake.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You just reminded me of that 'thwupthwupthwup' noise as the lines of tracers come towards you, it must have taken me six or seven tries just to figure out how to reach the beach, never mind the rest of the level.

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Multiplayer COD1 was nothing short of oustanding.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Very good read. The original was brutally raw. I think my favourite is COD2 though. The leap forward in visual content was a delight and the game was just as raw if not more so.

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

This is weird, I was looking through my old games last night and was thinking of re installing call of duty 2 and cod modern warfare. I cant remember much about the first call of duty now, I think I got an illegal copy because i could never find it to buy in the usual places so my brain must have erased the memories to avoid getting caught.

Anyway I'm going to grab the games I have legitimate copies of and give them another playthough. :)

P.S. my one bad memory of modern warfare 1 was crawling through a minefield and being killed repeatedly which seemed like a game glitch, that and the bloody dogs were always a pain in the rear.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Couldn't have said it better myself. For a youngun like myself MoH:AA and CoD1 are some of the games that really got me into the hobby. Played more MW1 than I care to admit as well...

17. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Multiplayer in United Offensive was pure fun, just load a jeep with friends and hijack enemy flag...
    sweet article

18. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Sheesh, 10 years, bloody hell I didn't realise it was that long. I still think CoD 1& 2 are terrific games, I enjoyed MoH but felt it was a bit mean in places but I still enjoyed it. I think I get me some Braecourt Manor (think thats how you spell it) action again real soon.
    The one thing I do object to with the current CoD games is the fire select switch has been dropped from the assult rifles, I really don't like the fact that the the single shot option is no more.

19. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

MOH:AA was the first game, I got involved in the whole clan scene with and played happily over and over for years...once COD was announced with moved to it.

COD was great and when the UO add-on came out it, it made even better. I played COD games to MW1, but unfortunately the MP side of COD started going down hill after COD2... I just couldn't take the smaller MP maps coming from COD /UO.

I disliked MW for bringing in perks etc... I don't mind new guns but all the other crap starts to imbalance the games I feel.

I have fond memories of late nights and long sessions on COD/UO etc... Its the same with BF2 and 2142, once they started pandering to the COD crowed with perks the gameplay and teamwork went out the window imho.

20. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

This.

Cracking article, anyhow!