1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair outlines Haswell PSU compatibility

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 10 May 2013.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

When the first manufacturer responses started coming out, it was fairly obvious that most DC-DC based PSUs would be compatible. To me at least. Since only one massive 12V rail is loaded rather than a bunch of small rails that trigger weird regulation crosstalk, interference and whatnot...

3. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Power to the People

Well, that was quick! :p

(Posting this as news, that is. Seeing how the blog post just went live an hour ago.)

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Have power supply manufacturers found that there isn't much need for new power supplies anymore with low cost products now being very quiet, stable and reliable? Is this a coordinated scare story to cause knee-jerk reactions which will push power supply sales?

I'm not usually one for a conspiracy theory but this is all a little fishy.

5. jonnyGURU

You apparently are one for conspiracy theories. ;)

It was Intel that started this. Not the PSU companies. And if you read the post, it says that most PSU's will already work, which would mean for most people that already have a quality power supply that they do NOT need to run out and buy a new PSU.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Not at all... You can easily get older PSU's and test them. Feel free to also use a PSU that is not certified as compatible with your new Haswell CPU... It's your money after all.

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

But the idea has been planted in peoples heads. The sheer idea of something possibly not working with future upgrades is enough to send some people buying new products. Corsairs statement was definitely informative but they also know that if they're one of the first companies to state that their power supplies will work then there will be those who will buy their power supplies to be safe. Don't get me wrong Corsair aren't a bad manufacturer, neither are Enermax but there's definitely a hint of capitalising on a possible compatibility issue going on, especially when the stories get so much press :)

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is only an issue if you sleep your PC, right? I don't know that many people that do - seems most either shut down every night, or leave it running 24/7. I used to try sleep here and there, but it never seemed to work right and I had to reboot anyway.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Fluxtatic... I agree with you. Sleep mode has nearly always caused issues when trying to wake. However, I recently decided to try the Hibernate option instead and that works perfectly. I can now use my MCE remote to send my machine in to Hibernate state (which looks the same as powered off) and then wake it again with the remote. I think this state would also cause issues with the Haswell CPUs.

10. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

:D We don't muck about!

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Further, it;s only an issue if you sleep AND use the new power states. Turn the new power states off (or run a BIOS/UEFI that does not support them), and the power usage will remain around - or slightly lower than - existing Ivy Bridge CPUs; i.e. no issues with current PSUs.

You could upgrade your PSU in order to use the new power states, but the savings (~10w to ~0.1w) are so small you'd never recoup your 'investment' in reduced electricity cost.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think corsair may need to make their list a bit clearer, or provide more information. As an example I own a TX750. There are 2 such TX750s - and that doesn't include the V2. Does this mean they all work? Considering that, iirc, I bought it pre lynnfield.

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No, you are incorrect. Since Nehalem Intel CPU has per core C-states. That means that while one core is in C6 or C7 state, other core is fully working; this is actually part of the Turbo feature set as well - put one, two or three cores in C6 state, while the one remaining runs at full Turbo clock.

And considering this slide, i am pretty sure they are talking about per core C7 state when the system is running and all cores enter C7 state :
    http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/c7jpg,0101-382656-0-2-3-1-jpg-.html
    Note the "even when display is active" line.

14. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Any PSU will work if C6 and C7 are turned off.

15. jonnyGURU

Yes. That means they all work... for the same reason. They use DC to DC for the non-primary rails.

16. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

What about the first HX 750? (bought it around when the first Intel i5 came out) The site says it's compatible, but the HX 750 they show on product page is different from the CMPSU-750HXUK I have - which is discontinued on many shopping sites.

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

18. jonnyGURU

And it's compatible... again... for the same reason.

19. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I use sleep mode alot, never had any issues with it tbh. Not sure why others would have any unless there is a weakness in their hardware (i.e. failing components).

20. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Looks like my HX 850 is compatible even though its around 3 years old. I don't think I care that much but its nice to know it will work if needed.
    I do plan on upgrading my original i7 920 to Haswell but I rarely use sleep mode.

Tags: Add Tags