1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GFX card prices annoy me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law99, 22 Dec 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Hey... I bought my 7950 w/boost about a year ago or something and you know what? It was £216, with free postage.

If I want another one, it costs more.

I can't tell if I got a really good deal all that time ago, or I'm going to get extra hard, thanks you very much sir, shafted this time?

I very much expect to be putting a wanted advert up in the market place soon but is this evil at work just the endless, bile spilling, scrotum shaving nob jockeys forever listing them with the words "litecoin" or "bitcoin" in the title? (although the last marketplace ad I saw similar didn't garner much public interaction - possibly some private action?)

The assumption that I'm running on is that after Christmas, some bit-techers are going to be making upgrades and want rid of their old 7950s.

:eyebrow:

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Upgrade to NV.:naughty:

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

but... I don't want to break the £300 barrier. WC needs to be all in. I could sell mine and get a 780... but I'm not convinced it is much of a value proposition compared to a r290.

What card would you say? I keep looking at reviews, and I'm always drawn back to the r290 if thinking single card.

EDIT: 770 is out of the question as it doesn't seem much better than a 7970 and my 7950 is clocked fairly high at 1150mhz core and 1600 for memory.

EDIT 2: Mantle also... not sure I want to miss out.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2013
  4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That might be the case on eBay but I haven't seen anything relating to bitcoin on the bit tech marketplace. But you are right, the prices for the AMD cards have gone up. That's supply and demand though mate, that's the way the world works. I should imagine in 6 months time when everyone realises there isn't any more money to be made in crypto currency things will be back to normal.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Feel free to remind me about this a few years down the line, but litecoin isn't going to do a thing, longer term. It's linked too closely to bitcoin as far as I can see, and that's on it's arse at the moment. Fear of missing out is driving the litecoin frenzy - most people missed the bitcoin boat and are worried about missing out again. This is good news if you're in the market for a new nvidia GPU and currently have an AMD card - cash in.

Yes Mantle, the great white hope, the cure to all ills... meh.

Flog the 7950 and profit mate.

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

It's the same with some NV models, I bought an MSI GTX670 power edition only 2-3 months ago from scan for £207 and now I want another one but they seem to have been discontinued at all the usual places like scan, dabs, overclockers, etc.
    I found some on amazon and ebay but the greedy f***s selling them want £300-£500 for them, WTF :grr:

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

but what if Mantle is the next Bitcoin? - /illogical statement.

I'm just pissy coz I thought it would be cheap... but no.

I'm not really bothered either way, AMD or Nvidia. But I'll be kicking myself if mantle is good.

Single card options: 780s are what I'd aim for Nvidia wise - but way over budget. r290 AMD wise.

Yeah... this seems to be the trend. 300 notes for a 7950... sad lol

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Bitcoin price is what makes the rest of the coins prices basically, If bitcoin hits sub $400 then litecoin would be sub $10 for example.

People expecting litecoin to hit the same highs as bitcoin are daft though, Bitcoin has limited supply. You wont run out of litecoins in our lifetime.

Litecoin was $40 before crash its now not even half that at below $16 and dropping at a rather quick pace.

if it stays there mining will cost more in electric than 1 coin is worth.

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

to be fair, if I left my PC in my parents house, the electricity wouldn't cost me anything.

10. cookie! nom nom

cookie! nom nom Minimodder

Just sell card run on a 570gtx or simular and laugh your head off why you buy one in half a years time for half the price

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I must say I did suffer a moment of temptation when I realised my 7990 was now worth northward of £600.

Bloody fads.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My mate picked up a 7950 a couple of weeks back for 170 delivered from dabs, so they have been cheaper.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah. That was what I thought I might be paying new... But now it is looking like north of 220 for new. If I want a second hand one then sure, probably cheap providing someone doesn't just put it on eBay with bitcoin in the listing title.

Seriously, there are people buying them secondhand for near what I paid new...

Freaking annoying.

14. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Ocuk have a good deal on a vtx3d 290 for £299,99

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

thank god for bitcoin, i was able to sell my 7950s for nearly double USED for what i bought them new a few months ago

it's hilarious honestly

i was originally set on a 290x, but what with current prices and the lack of aftermarket cooling i ended up with a 780ti

ain't even mad

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah... I may just go right ahead and add to the bandwagon a 7950w/boost. They'll make millions from it I tell ya. Practically printing the money. Going to buy r290 when funds clear. :D

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

yeah i can't believe i got ripped off so bad, gold bars literally drop out of your computer if you have a 7950 (from what i hear)

18. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Is it only MSI that let you remove and replace stock heatsink on R290? Rather not have a null and void warranty.

Edit: bought MSI one anyway. Will test for best part of a week anyway before I whack on the water block.

Last edited: 24 Dec 2013
  19. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

AFAIK yes, it's only MSI on the 290 that will let you remove/replace.

20. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Sweet. Can't wait. Too bad it won't be with me till Monday. Bloomin holiday nonsense.