1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antec case mod, Simple Mod Project - Formerly Alienware: Resurection

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G4m3R_X3r0, 12 Oct 2005.

1. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

N/T

Last edited: 17 Oct 2006
  2. G4m3R_X3r0

See Above Title!

Hey there everyone. Ok so I'll cut to the chase, how many of you remember the old hydraulic cases alienware had before, they came out with there cheiftec knock-off's???

:: Waits for hands to raise ::

*cough* anyways, yeah thats right, i have one of those monsters, so I'm planning on taking said monster, and turning it in to something i actually wanna look at. Unfourtnatly I don't have any picts of the case together cuz i already gutted it...

[​IMG]

Isn't it pretty... So maybe some of you saw my old Antec 1080 project i started then abandoned... I won't do that with this one!! Ok so start out, I'm going to hit the front of the case first. Here's the framework...

[​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see the top and the front of the case are taped off, right now i'm going to worry about the front. What i want to do is put 120mm intake in the front of the case...

[​IMG]

But i don't want to deal with all the crap that is in the middle section of the case. So when it doubt? CUT IT OUT!! I'm going to remove the middle section of the case, and replace it with a back plate that will hold the 120mm fan in place.

[​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see, i marked out where i'm going to drill my holes for the new rivets and where the plate is going to be. The camera flash blinded the marks on the tape so i went back in to photoshop to show where I'm going to go make my cuts.

:: Sounds of Drill and Dremel in the background ::

[​IMG][​IMG]

Not bad I say!! Anyways Part 1 is out of the way!! yay!! :clap: Now time for dinner, and church and I'll post more when I get back. Oh!! BTW, the comment thread for this is my sig, click it to get there!!

Last edited: 21 Oct 2006
  3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Looking good :)
    Whats going in it? Specs wise?

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ooh, me likey too. Are you planning a single 120 up front or twins?

5. G4m3R_X3r0

Hybrid motherboard tray

Ok now that I'm done with dinner and all I can pick up where I left off. Ok so now that I'm done with the cutting on the frame work, I'm now going to attack the mobo tray.

[​IMG]

Peices here is the mobo tray of the Alienware rig, the frame work of the antec 1080 case, and some peice of metal i had laying around... Don't ask I have so much PC stuff laying around it's stupid! :confused:

[​IMG]

So I'm going to take these 2 parts, put some "mutagen" (for those of us old skool 80's turtle lovers out there!!! :rock: :rock: ) on them, and make a new tray... Or attempt to anyways...

Here is a close up of the old tray...

[​IMG]

I don't like how the back slots on the tray are so I'm going to take the slots in this one...

[​IMG]

Rip'em out, put them on the new plate which i will try and cut come friday...

:: Sounds of drill and rivets popping ::

[​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah buddy!! Ok time to seperate the old tray... hehe lots of seperation going on here... :D

[​IMG]

Ok all said and done here is what i have to work with...

[​IMG]

Now the trick it to get all these parts to work with each other so they will do the job i need them to do. Ok so thats all i have done for now...

Next on the agenda is to put the front plate back in the front of the case, Cut the new Mobo Tray, and Start work on the front pannel to coinside with the front part of the case, in which i get to start working with this part...

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'll lay out the plan on this part once it's formulated... Oh and as for the old antec 1080 frame??

[​IMG]

Rest in peice old friend, you have served me well... As parts, Muwahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :dremel:

I'll post more as i get to it! Please comments and Thoughts are welcome!! Also a better title too!!

6. G4m3R_X3r0

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor
    CHAINTECH VNF3-250 Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard
    OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    SAPPHIRE 100117SR Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

These are the basic parts off my NewEgg wish list! :D

I'm going to put a single 120mm Aluminum(sp?) Fan with Blue LED's in the front... I'm planning on making it look like a turbine!! :dremel:

Forgot to mention, I just put the pict of the Mobo Tray I'm going to be working on! Suggestions and comments are welcome on it!! Thanx for everyones support so far (yes i know it's 2 RE: but hey I feel loved!! :D)

7. tempo

tempo What's a Dremel?

omg , i have got the same case , didn't that it was an alienware typed case o_O .

i ll look at this log ^^

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Great start mate :)

Your cutting looks spot on. Keep it up :thumb:

9. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Let's see....

[​IMG]

Oh, yeah! Nice feet!!!! :D :D :D

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

If this is your wish list... I presume you haven't got them yet - why not go 939/PCI-e?

11. G4m3R_X3r0

Right now I'm kinda on a tight buget... So i'm doing what i can afford... But if I can score well on this job at Best Buy tomorrow when i go in to my interview I might change up a few of the parts... Go G33K Squad!!

Yeah I noticed that after i posted those shots. oh well what can ya do :p

Thanx!! I'm taking really carful steps in planning this out, my last mod project i tired... the Antec 1080 case you see me using as parts... didn't go to well... :( So i wanna make sure everything is set to go before I take the dremel out ya know? I'm going to try and get a little bit more work done tomorrow before my interview. I'll see what I can do.

12. G4m3R_X3r0

Disaster strikes... not really, but close...

Ok so really small update... Went shoping today looking for a new piece of metal for the front plate, new cutting discs for the Dremel, Carbon Fiber Vinyl film, and mesh stuff... Checked out, Farm & Fleet, Lowes, Menards, Wal-mart, Radio Shack, and 2 auto stores... and came back with this...

[​IMG]

8x18 sheet of 16 gague sheet metal from Lowes, and the Dremel disc's from Wal-mart... go figure that one!

[​IMG]

So I whipped out the tape marked off the area I was going to cut, placed my holes using the Frame as a template, so now that is out of the way, i'm off to the garage to do my dirty work! :dremel:

After about 10 mins of cutting and sparks flying around, I got the plate cut! Yay, go me... ok not really, anyways back on track... I got the Drill, and my 1/8 inch drill bit and started to drill my holes... and ran out of battery juice... So i'm like ok, time to swap out the batteries... Yeah the other one was dead too... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Ok so I need to charge them both... oh well, i'll take the plate back to the frame and make sure everything looks good so far... Not even...

[​IMG]

Hey will ya look at that... not all my holes match up... So now i'm glad my drill died, would of sucked to get them all drilled and not have half of them match up! :sigh: Oh well, I'm going to try and salvage this peice so i don't have to cut another one... I'll finish drilling later. Also i ordered my 120mm fan today from SVC. Evercool 120x25mm Blue is the fan of choice considering it's the only straight Aluminum fan i was able to find in 120mm!! I should have that by next week or so... Also do any of you know where i can find this material??

[​IMG]

I got this with an Aspire case i ordered for a friend, and i like it and want to use it on my rig but can't find it anywhere! Help would be great!! Anyways back off to the garage... Like i said small update. Fear not there will be more!!

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

i love the way you'v started this worklog mate!!!

great clear well detailed pics with plenty of info :thumb:

was good to see a bit of "fate" on your side with the holes!!!

can wait for more updates mate , awsome modding :rock:

14. G4m3R_X3r0

Ok so here is the real update!

Here's my 120mm Fan i ordered!! :D

[​IMG]

And here it is in the dark!! :clap:

[​IMG]

Also I mapped out the cuts on my Side Pannels, Yes Pannels as in both

[​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah isn't that pretty! It's not going to be as rough with the points, I'm actually going to try and round out the corners and all that... THe back pannel I'm going to change up a bit!! But the top and bottem slots, are going to be "vents" SO yeah, I know not real progress... But hey It's coming, hopfully once the chaos lays down I'll be able to get in to the workshop to start doing some hardcore modding IE cutting!!

Well I hope you enjoyed the teaser, More to come!!

Last edited: 25 Oct 2005
  15. G4m3R_X3r0

Wow... I'm in shock. The Great DÈF¥âÑt¸.·´¯`¤ has commented on my work, even tho it's nothing to look at right now! :thumb:

Anyways sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been Busy... Work, work, work, work, church, gf, gf, gf, gf, gf, gf, gf, work, work, work... you know how that goes right? Upside tho, I got a new job working at Best Buy, as part of the Geek Squad, for those of you U.S. Modders out there!! Ok nuff said... Updates soon... I hope... :)

16. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

about the mesh fan grill, AC Ryan makes those. They also have the so-called Mesh X, which is a panel of this mesh. I have two of them waiting to be modded, they are very nicely finished.

17. G4m3R_X3r0

Sorry for the lame bump, I got the side pannels mapped out to how i'm going to cut them, so yeah! Let me know what you think so far, I'll try and get to some cutting this weekend!

Also what you think of my new avatar? :hehe:

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Nice start m8! MNPCtech stocks modders mesh and turbine kits. :)

19. G4m3R_X3r0

Sorry for the lack of updates guys... I've been h3lla busy with work and all that, and havn't had time to sit down and chillax and work on m3h mod! I'll get around to it... Fear not I refuse to give up on this!

20. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Back from the dead...

Just curious if this is still a living mod, I really like how it was starting out :)