1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Chrome's New Bookmark Manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by boiled_elephant, 25 Apr 2015.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I poked around but couldn't see a thread for this (to my surprise). Skip to the last picture if you just want to know how to disable the new Bookmark Manager.

Disastrous GUI overhauls are now a part of our zeitgeist, whether we like it or not (spoiler alert:
    nobody likes it and lots of designers should be fired
    ). Google have done a Microsoft and replaced their text-oriented bookmark manager with a Metro-style interface based on tiles. Full (and negatively biased) story here.

I'll break this down for those who don't use Chrome or haven't updated yet. I was going to describe it, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

The previous bookmark manager looked like this:

[​IMG]

Note the expandable tree on the left which provides an overview of your folders and which supports dragging and dropping bookmarks and folders into other folders with a single motion. Also note the presentation of the page's icon and its full title in the list to the right.

This closely mimicked the Bookmark Bar in structure and appearance. The Bookmark Bar remains unchanged and is actually your best hope, in the long term, of managing folders like you used to:

[​IMG]

The new Bookmark Manager looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that the folder tree cannot be viewed in any way. You can only open and see the contents of one folder at a time, starting at the root. It is therefore no longer possible to drag folders into other locations besides ones in the currently open location or parent locations in the w7/w8-style address strip at the top.

Oh, and that 'Folders' section on the left doesn't correspond to anything:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what it does other than catalogue the folders you've chosen to share via Google+ - not something I've really been eager to do, but maybe there are people who really want to share their bookmarks with their friends.

[​IMG]

Also note that it is not possible to arrange these items by name or type, meaning that folders appear at random throughout the view rather than at the top. If you want them at the top, they must be manually dragged into place, a la Windows 8.

This means that the only way to remind yourself what folders you have, and where, is to open every single folder individually and scroll through its contents. Forgot what subfolder you put that one folder in? Enjoy opening every likely suspect and scrolling down until you stumble across it.

[​IMG]

Another big problem is that website titles are very long by nature, and in this view you will only see the first 20-something characters, awkwardly squashed onto two lines. Also, until you revisit these bookmarks post-upgrade, their thumbnails will not fill out and will be meaningless blocks of colour, as it won't even use the website icons still stored in your browser's cache from before the upgrade.

If a website title doesn't have the pertinent info at the start and the thumbnail hasn't been cached, you have no chance of knowing what is until you open it again, so get busy reopening and renaming all your bookmarks.

Finally, and bafflingly, the size of tiles doesn't scale as you resize Chrome, meaning that if you're viewing it on a small screen or a windowed view alongside other things, you only see five or six entries in the main view at once and have to scroll aggressively to find anything:

[​IMG]

There is, however, list view, which addresses some of these problems:

[​IMG]

At a glance this seems like an improvement. Webpage icons are back and you can see the whole page title again.

[​IMG]

However, ordering is still impossible and folders are found randomly scattered down the list. I'm not sure why some of them have two-thirds-width bars while others go all the way across, either - if it has significance, it wasn't explained.

[​IMG]

And my full name is on there for some reason, in case I forget what it is while I'm organising my bookmarks. Thank God for unified services!

I'm not one to judge something too quickly - I never installed Classic Shell on w8.0, recognising that you have to play ball before you can complain about the state of the turf. So I tried the new Bookmark Manager out for a while. Thoughts so far:

Objectively, it takes about three times longer to do anything, and not just because it's new (I'm pretty good at learning a new interface). It's simply more complicated to do a lot of things and much functionality has been lost. It's now much harder to organise and maintain a large number of bookmarks.

The interface was clearly designed for small touchscreens, but rather like w8.0, it feels rushed and has made little to no effort to accomodate PC users. A touchscreen makes more sense of the overall design scheme, but it's still horribly lacking functionality. Moreover, touch devices like Windows tablets and subnotebooks/ultrabooks/convertible tablets have much lower resolutions than desktop PCs, and on those lower resolutions the lack of scaling in the thumbnail view makes it utterly useless. The list view is probably an improvement on those devices as far as viewability and interaction go, but the lack of sorting and other problems still make it very difficult to use. In its current state it's cumbersome to say the least.

As pointed out in various blogs, it is currently possible to disable the new Bookmark Manager and revert to the old one like so:

[​IMG]

Historically these revert options have always been temporary, though, and soon the new interface will be the only interface. Let's hope they do a Microsoft again and drastically improve it in subsequent updates.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2015
  2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

There are currently no good browsers out there. Personally I'm looking forward to Vivaldi even though they're using Webkit.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Link to the "Full (and negatively biased) story here." article isn't working.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Ah, good shout, missed a quotation mark. Fixed now.

Surprised by the general lack of hullabaloo over this to be honest, starting to suspect that I was the only person using Chrome's bookmark manager in the first place...

5. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I was ok until the bookmark tool in my address bar changed.
    [​IMG]

Surprisingly my bookmark manager remains unchanged.

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I happen to like it, I don't have a lot of bookmarks but those I do tend to be at least organised to a degree.

I used to find the old text manager clunky, especially if I didn't really remember what the link was.

7. bleugh

bleugh Hello

I think chrome is going backwards this last year or so, I disabled this within hours, terrible change imo.