1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The Path of Progress: Tracking the evolution of AMD’s graphics cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Why does this feel like advertising 0.o

EDIT:

To clarify, it seems to have sidestepped some of the "less-than-stellar" products such as the HD2900 and HD38xx series and doesn't seem to explicitly mention that the HD48xx series is where they started to turn around and provide better value-for-money.

3. brumgrunt

We're going to be doing a series of features of this ilk in the months ahead if all goes to plan.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

The first AMD (non-ATI branded card) where the HD6000 series, that's probably why it starts with the HD5000 series.

5. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

I'd be interested to see their path of progress on how they decide to release their drivers/what theyve done to improve themselves in that area. Ive always found their hardware to be excellent, but software (drivers) to be abysmal, especially notebook drivers. I recall paying £35 for Brink on release day, only for it to be completely unplayable on AMD graphics cards until months and months later, by which point noone was playing it anymore.

Good article though, an interesting read!

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is definitely advertising.

I'm choking on all the superlatives and lack of any criticism. This article doesn't feel like it was written by bit tech at all, unless you have some new hyped up PR guy as your new writer?

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Here are some of my most hated sentences from this ridiculous article (by the way, topic is great, way it has been approached is not). Feel free to add yours below:

- yeah awesome! Except both BT and CPC both recommend NOT doing either SLI of CFX and have done for years

- what does that even mean?

- it was also hot and loud, and Eyefinity was an absolute dog to get set up outside of just using it for windows.

- Yeah they could, all 4 of the games that AMD supports, in badly optimised 3D.

- Starting to look around for vomit bucket

- Good, something useful and actually relevant, but why does it have to be a 'new evolution' - can't we go back to talking like normal people and not a narrator from a Michael Bay film

- grabs PR vomit bucket and begins to retch.

Vomits PR flavoured bile into PR vomit bucket.

- PR Vomit so strong it burns through bottom of PR vomit bucket.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2012
    GMC likes this.
  8. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Blimey, thats a pretty good point. I think pointing out things such as there shortcomings, and ways they've came back against nvidia would have been less biased.

now that ive just read parges quotes, it does reek of advertising :/

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

8 years? Who has hidden 2 years from me, im still in 2012?! :eek:

10. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Lovely idea, disgusting execution.

Seriously, how much did AMD pay for this puff piece?

11. brumgrunt

Apologies: this is a sponsored feature, but the tag thing I tried to flag it as such has disappeared. I'll add a line of text to the bottom.

12. brumgrunt

Updated now. Apologies for the confusion.

We are looking to do more features charting the path of progress of companies and their technologies in the future. All comments, as always, taken on board.

13. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Where are the details? You know, the block diagrams showing how they've changed over the generations. How the cores are grouped. How data moves around the chip. How the caching strategy has developed. .......

This article should be at least 5 times as long.

14. shah

shah Minimodder

Love your comments Parge :D

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Might be a nice article, but sorry chaps, I don't read adverts as a rule. I hope it makes you some good ca$h though so you can to lots of tasty non-sponsored features in the near future as well.

16. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

^^ what he said, pretty irritated by this now, especially considering youve just read 2 pages of biased material before you hit the tiny footnote that its sponsoered. Theres no mention of it being sponsored on the first page (which is what most people who wont make it to the second page of the article will read). a bit misleading?

I hope theres going to be no "sponsored" hardware reviews anytime soon.

17. brumgrunt

Will add the sponsored tag to the top, no problem there. Not trying to mislead people at all.

I don't think anyone could ever call our reviews sponsored, either (they're not, of course). Especially if we could show you everything from this side of the fence!

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I appreciate that these things have to be done from time to time (most if not all issues of CPC in recent memory have at least one advertisement feature), and I certainly don't think bigc90210 was suggesting you use bias in reviews. It's just that this is the first time we've seen such a feature on the front page of Bit, so an image banner and something in the title/subtitle of the feature would be most appreciated.

19. brumgrunt

I've put it at the top and end of the article now. My error, there. Apologies.

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I second @zinfandels comment.

If I wanted to read the upsides of AMD with absolutely zero criticism I would go to amd.com. This reeks of desperation bit-tech, whatever happened to the advertising staying well away from editorial? Doesn't the direct mingling of the two compromise your integrity when reviewing future AMD products?

Tags: Edit