1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Distances from router to phone socket...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ljs, 14 Mar 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Quick question for someone in the know:

I'm going to move my BT Homehub (yeah yeah, I know) from the living room to the room my computer is in so I can plug it directly into my computer. The phone socket however, is on the other side of the room to my computer.

I would like the router on my desk so I can plug the phone into it too... Is there any max distance the router can be from the phone outlet in the wall (using an extension cable)?

I have had a search around on the forums and google but didn't really find an answer.

Thanks...

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

The problem with extending the cable from your phone line is, the longer it is, the slower the internet goes. It'd be better to extend the ethernet cable to your computer and leave your home hub where it is.

However, from what you've said I'm guessing you're only moving it about <5m?

If so, that should be alright.

I think at least.

Networking isn't my best area lol

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Depends upon how far you are from your phone exchange and how strong the signal at the master socket is. If you are less then 2 miles from your phone exchange you are most likely going to be fine.

4. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

further to this, I have a 30m extension cord from the socket to the router, and it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I am within about 1-2km from my exchange so signal strength isn't an issue.

(it's 30m long as it's the one we had lying around. Should really buy a 5m one lol)

Just make sure theres nothing that could cause electrical interference near the cabling.