1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU fan blades

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by t4n6o, 10 Apr 2012.

1. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

How detrimental is the loss of 1 GPU fan blade on a 6950?

2. bizzel

bizzel What's a Dremel?

How many blades are on the fan in total? I assume this a circular, 'blower' type fan like on the stock 6950s?

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Short term no issue. Long term because it is not balanced it will wear out the bearings faster and it will eventually fail.
    I would suggest that you replace the heat sink with an after market one as opposed to trying to replace just a fan.

4. t4n6o

think there are 10 blades on each fan (has 2)

so u mean replace the heat sink and a fan?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Is this a stock cooler that AMD put out or one from the company that shipped it? If it is stock from AMD then buy a different heatsink and fan. If from a different company like Asus for example, contact them to see if you can replace the fan. Should be cheaper and less of a hassle that way.

Depending on what happened warranty might also be an idea?

How did it break?

6. t4n6o

wont go under warranty as was my own fault, was trying to prop the card up as i removed the wind tunnel (which was holding it up) to get to do some life saving maintainance to the rig and forgot to unplug the gpu so when i was propping it up I caught the fan.

not sure if its a stock cooler, i presume it is, i bought the gpu from ccl last september and thats how it came sealed in the box

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It's not the reference cooler, it's VTX3D's own design. You could call it their stockcooler but it's not the stock cooler if you see what I mean?

Anyway, I'd do one of two things. Either rip the shroud and fans off, leaving the heatsink in place, and strap two new fans to it. Or rip the entire lot off and by a different cooler. I'm planning on doing the former to my 470 :D

8. t4n6o

think i will be looking at the aftermarket heat sink and cooler tbh, these 2 have caught my eye

akasa vc05 freedom force

arctic cooling accelero twin turbo ii

9. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

The first item listed is ancient, please avoid... I know your pain, my HD5870 has a failed fan !

dunx

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

To retain balance in the fan, break off the opposite fan blade! No more long term problems, and very little short term problems! :D

11. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

does that even work?? cuz I'm just concerned that his fan won't be able to cool it very efficiently since there will be 2 missing blades..

12. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

At most, you would be loosing 1/5 of the airflow. In reality, air vortexes and less resistance means you will see a few degrees increase, if anything.

13. t4n6o

I know, its sacralige. I am reduced to the mobo HDMI outlet on the ASUS P8Z68-V:waah::waah::waah::waah::waah::waah:

only saving grace is I found the 1920x1080 driver:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I had considered this, but I made a miss count as i wasn't looking at the GPU but rather trying to count off the best pic I could find on google search so there are 9

It should do in theory as like lp rob1 said it would just reduce the air flow by 20% and also a short term use only.

As it stands now the GPU is out of the rig and in pieces waiting to recieve it's new partner the arctic cooling accelero twin turbo ii

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just need that blooming job to start now:miffed:

14. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I have just bought a HD5870 XFX cooler for my HIS card !

:wallbash:

dunx