1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hot-swap Backplanes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fractal, 13 Oct 2010.

1. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Hey, can anyone recommend a decent hot-swap backplane for 3.5" HDDs?

Preferably SAS 6Gb/s however I will settle for SATA if no-one knows of any SAS ones. SATA drives will fit in SAS backplanes but SAS drives will not fit in SATA backplanes so the distinction is important.

The reason I ask is that I am in the planning stages of building a file-server. I would prefer to build the case from scratch (no off-the-shelf cases support enough drives) but haven't been able to find any hot-swap SAS backplanes that can be purchased by themselves. The system will need to scale to at least 12 drives (obviously this could mean purchasing 4x 3 drive backplanes but that is acceptable).

Alternatively does anyone have any good ideas about how to achieve hot-swappable hard disc drives in a scratch build case?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

3. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Ooo very nice. I was originally planning on something that was just the PCB but obviously these aren't available... Thank you very much, I didn't know about this site before.